Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

A lightweight weapon mod for GZDoom. Adds altfires, reloading, and all the things we love to hate about modern gaming.

Future updates are very unlikely unless compatibility completely breaks.

DOWNLOADS:
IDGAMES ARCHIVE

[OUTDATED] Last Updated October 19, 2018

Classic Revival HUD Updated January 01, 2015
Spoiler: OLD VIDEO
Spoiler: UPDATES (They're in reverse order, sorry!)
Spoiler: ORIGINAL POST
Last edited by Lippeth on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:07 am, edited 100 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [WIP] Another weapon mod using others' resources

Post by wildweasel »

Not bad, actually. My only real complaints here are that the minigun doesn't feel especially powerful (maybe 1 extra point of damage and a beefier sound), and the ejected shotgun shells are quite massive and could be scaled down some.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Slowly yet surely, my influence spreads! :twisted:

Seriously though, I'm always flattered when I can make an impact with someone. :)
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Interesting mod, also I liked that rocket launcher
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

My argument to the size of ejected shells would be that they normally look to small in most mods and I tried to make them more realistically relative to the size of shells loaded in, the size of the shells you pick up from the floor, and the size of the guns they're coming out of. But if after considering all that they still look too big, then they're too big. It's hard to tell this from that after looking at a screen for too long.

Good points on the minigun. I'm still trying to balance it with the vanilla chaingun. I want to keep the same damage over time while increasing the rate of fire, ammo used and pinning power. And by using so much ammo I needed to give it more ammo, but ultimately even it out to compare with the original.

My biggest question is: is a mod like this even worth anyone's time? Or is this sort of thing so trivial that it would be better kept for private use by its author? My hope is that it at least expands resources by a fraction to help improve other projects.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Lippeth wrote:My argument to the size of ejected shells would be that they normally look to small in most mods and I tried to make them more realistically relative to the size of shells loaded in, the size of the shells you pick up from the floor, and the size of the guns they're coming out of. But if after considering all that they still look too big, then they're too big. It's hard to tell this from that after looking at a screen for too long.

Good points on the minigun. I'm still trying to balance it with the vanilla chaingun. I want to keep the same damage over time while increasing the rate of fire, ammo used and pinning power. And by using so much ammo I needed to give it more ammo, but ultimately even it out to compare with the original.

My biggest question is: is a mod like this even worth anyone's time? Or is this sort of thing so trivial that it would be better kept for private use by its author? My hope is that it at least expands resources by a fraction to help improve other projects.

listen bud. im diggin it. im always looking for weapon packs because my game is perfect, i just want moer weapons to throw into the mix (im not backspacing for that fucked up more). thats what im working on too. its not gonna change the entire community...but if youre looking to just put something out and have a good time put it out, someone might enjoy it...some people might not. make it how you like and drop it on the community and see what happens. ya dig?
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

and hell yeah im downloading this.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Well, sweet then. I've updated the link to add exactly ONE point of damage from the minigun, which actually feels a bit nicer. Exactly ONE nicer. Instead of the bullets going from 2, 4, 2, 4, 2 plus a tracer that does 1 to 2 points, it fires straight threes across the board with the tracer unchanged. I also attempted to give the fire sound more of a presence with subtle undertones.
CynicalIdealist

Post by CynicalIdealist »

Since Back to Saturn X happens to be my all time favorite mapset, I am extremely looking forward to trying this mod out. Downloading it right now!
Lippeth

Re: [NEW HUD!] Another weapon mod using others' resources

Post by Lippeth »

I've added a HUD to the main post for no reason other than I've been wanting to make one that looks like the old stat bar with an open space in the middle so you can see your weapons more clearly, as well as have a spot for secondary ammo.
Last edited by Lippeth on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

That fist is.... SATISFYING. Something about its sound effect.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

DoomRater wrote:That fist is.... SATISFYING. Something about its sound effect.
i know how you feel.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Hey look my BTSX HUD design (Sort of). :P I do like how the secondary ammo is on top though.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

blackfish wrote:Hey look my BTSX HUD design (Sort of). :P I do like how the secondary ammo is on top though.
I actually started by making a version of your HUD with a secondary ammo counter to use with weapon mods, and that inspired me to make a classic style HUD based on your work. I've never made one before, so I had to use your coding as a base to work from. If I have un-rulefully used any resources that I'm not supposed to use, or my level of rip-offery is distasteful, let me know and I'll make adjustments or remove it completely. The key light graphics and ammo fonts are mainly what I'm referring to.
Spoiler: BTSX HUD
DoomRater wrote:That fist is.... SATISFYING. Something about its sound effect.
Thanks! I didn't do much to change it, but I did add a low pitched metal 'dink' sound to the existing Beautiful Doom punch sound to give it more of a brass knuckley effect.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I'd suggest changing the ammo font to the Doom font rather than the BTSX font because the BTSX font looks very out of place with the Doom graphics.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”