Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alterworldruler

Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

Post by Alterworldruler »

http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php < Soulcrusher is officially a runner-up! WOOT!

Before I begin, I should ask that while fixing gameplay issues and revamping maps improves the core experience, the only thing keeping this mod from becoming a fully legal IWAD for gzdoom are enemy graphics/sounds, just to warn you, there's lots of gaps to be filled, about 7 bosses and 15 enemies and those cannot be filled with unoriginal/modified resources if we want to stay legal (which is my goal for the 2.0 version). Other than that, we are good to go, the weapons, music, textures, HUD, menu nad some other stuff are fully custom and I got the permissions to use it in an IWAD. If you want to take chances with me at creating a fully custom IWAD, go ahead, i'll appreciate it (btw gameplay-wise the mod's finished, along with the story and everything else but the enemy graphics/sounds)

Warning: You'll need your latest gzdoom svn to get this thing running, get it from http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ Or try to use latest official gzdoom which has necessary features.

Hello dear lads, this is Soulcrusher, a mod that is somewhat between a partial and total conversion for gzdoom. Final version is officially out! Get it now, don't wait, just play it when you have time, I need your feedback for the bugfixes in the future. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfrt0x6l5pobh2v/SCMain.zip

1.3 Update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu0kpbdhng9rq30/SCMain.wad

Changelog:
- Final boss dialogue works
- Final boss was made more fair, and the secret gun ACTUALLY works on him now.
- Final boss's area was redesigned to prevent some stupid bugs.
- STADMIN's gameplay flow has been improved a bit
- Sonic Gun no longer flashes when firing
- Last two levels now contain regenerating ammo.
- Fixed a bunch of visual bugs.
- Sniper Rifle's been partially buffed.

If you have any issues launching the mod in gzdoom, use this kind of a commandline parameter chain: -file SCmain.wad SCMonstr.wad SCtex.wad SChud.wad SCmusic.wad

Content:
- It has 9 levels, 6 bosses, should keep you busy for a bit.
- There's a font bug you will notice but i have yet to find a fix for it.
- It's playable from start to the end.
- It's fairly balanced.

This mod won't be up on /idgames because while I can connect to it, I can't upload anything for some reason.

Maps, gameplay and various stuff was designed by me
Weapon graphics/some enemy graphics/music were done by Nmn while we still worked together, actually it was his work that inspired me to start something overwhelmingly big like this.

Below's the final trailer.

Spoiler: Screenies
Also here have two new screenshots!
Spoiler: New
Enjoy!

Here's a bonus little FAQ if you are curious about the details of this mod (It's spoilered because it's lengthy)
Spoiler: FAQ
Resource credits:
- Lameduke
- Freedoom
- Nmn
- Redneck Rampage
- System Shock
- Blood
- Gopher
- Doom 2.5
- All others which I forgot about.
Last edited by Alterworldruler on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:24 am, edited 34 times in total.
insightguy

Re: Soulcrusher Prototype (Not for 56k)

Post by insightguy »

this looks interesting! ima playtest
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Keep doing what you're doing, because its working VERY VERY well.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

For those who haven't seen it yet, this is definitely worth checking out, especially for the weapons. It's like Zen on super-crack. :P
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Xaser wrote:It's like Zen on super-crack. :P
Sold!

edit: Well, that was fun. :)
Mostly enjoyable, no real complaints, but I do have a few nitpicks.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ethril on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Double sold!
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

The scientist guy is a liar. You totally have enough firepower to deal with the pinky recolors in MAP02! :P

Edit: Wait what the health items go into your inventory.

NO WONDER I WAS DYING SO MUCH.

Also, using a terminal completely freezes you forever, since you can't exit.
Alterworldruler

Ethril wrote:Okay, I wasn't expecting to be dumped back at the first map like that. I knew it was only a few maps but I was kinda hoping for at least a "Congratulations you have completed the Soulcrusher demo!" screen or something. - Sorry I just released what I had without thinking, because I was frustrated with lack of motivation
The weapons were awesome; A bit different than the usual Doom arsenal but still filling all the necessary roles. The peashooter pistol's altfire even made it still useful after obtaining the laser rifle, which is nice. - Yep this is one mod where you don't get a crap pistol
The enemies were... less awesome. Ignoring the obvious Doom-recolor placeholder sprites, they certainly looked pretty cool. I liked the jumping Baron guys (the boss version was fun) and the robots that fell apart, the Heaven Guards (or whatever they're called in this) were cool, and the basic trooper dudes were, well, basic trooper dudes. Everything else was okay, although the flying Revenants were just silly. :P - Oh believe me, the second boss is gonna be even more fun if I ever finish the level he's in. THOUGH you can check him out in map99 in the boss room, and activate him via puke 23 in console.
The maps seemed well-designed enough. Neat-looking details (like the pipes running overhead) without them getting in the way. Slightly confusing at times, but the objective markers on the map fixed that, no problem. - That's the whole idea, that I can do whatever I want layout-wise but the objective markers will always lead in the right direction.
I felt that there was a bit too much ammo and not enough health. A few more medpatchers sprinkled around (as in, not all in one place) would probably be a good idea. - Yep this is one mod where you don't get a crap pistol
The money doesn't do anything yet, right? Anyway, whether it's meant for shopping or just a scoring system, I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be reset to 1 after every map. Make sure you fix that if/when you decide to continue this! - Actually there is a shop in STGATE in the underwater base if you look around enough. Though to be honest with so much crap laying on floor, it's losing the point.
XutaWoo wrote:The scientist guy is a liar. You totally have enough firepower to deal with the pinky recolors in MAP02! :P

Edit: Wait what the health items go into your inventory. - Oops forgot to mention that :P

NO WONDER I WAS DYING SO MUCH.

Also, using a terminal completely freezes you forever, since you can't exit. - Gotcha, i'll fix it when I can.
EDIT:
Spoiler: I can finally see my ugly face in the mirror
Alterworldruler

Bump, no new screenshots but some progress nonetheless.

Prison Block (3rd level between STGATE and STADMIN) is close to being complete, the layout is finally done after months of being burned out, now it's just all about implementing the gameplay in, expect a new public beta featuring this level in 2 weeks.

In meanwhile I am starting to code two new bosses which will make an appereance later on. If you haven't given this wad a try yet, feel free to do so.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Whoa how did I miss this? I've been looking forward to this! :D Shame it ended how it did.

You may want to remirror it, though. Phenomer went bye-bye.
Alterworldruler

Jimmy wrote:Whoa how did I miss this? I've been looking forward to this! :D Shame it ended how it did.

You may want to remirror it, though. Phenomer went bye-bye.
Done so. Thanks for informing me.
Alterworldruler

Re: Soulcrusher (Beta 1 coming on August 1st)

Yup, a new beta is coming on August 1st, it will feature one.... no wait TWO NEW MAPS that are beatable from start to end that will require feedback from all of you. Here's two new shots for you and a small changelog right now:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
  • - Completed 3rd level STPRISON, it's beatable and balanced.
    - STCITY (5th level) is 70% done
    - The berserk hypo appears in all levels now, each use of the hypo will grant you permament +5% to damage resistance, thanks DavidPH for the code!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Wow! This is quite stunning. Sure it still has a few rough points but it's a WiP.

Possibly the best use of lighting effects in a GZDoom WAD.
Alterworldruler

Enjay wrote:Wow! This is quite stunning. Sure it still has a few rough points but it's a WiP.

Possibly the best use of lighting effects in a GZDoom WAD.
Screenshots and videos don't do it justice, it's best played. However i'm 90% right now about gameplay and 10% about details. So i'm just keeping the basic style and looks I do, perhaps hang on until I release Beta 1 which in general will contain 5 complete levels for you to try out.
Alterworldruler

Bump, sorry but I must delay the beta to August 15. Two reasons, the second finished map isn't polished enough yet and second reason, some things require some serious overhaul including the shop system in STGATE which is broken (and would be in STCITY). So give me some time and i'll rework that.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”