A weapons and gameplay mod for GZDoom
Project MSX is a weapons and gameplay mod that brings some elements of modern FPS into your 16 year old Doom, and with this attempting to merge both new-school and old-school styles of FPS gameplay.
In this mod you will have rechargeable shields, they work like the ones in Halo. They fully protect you from any damage until they deplete, when your shields are out you have to take cover or dodge attacks until they recharge and you will be good to fight again. However health doesn't regenerate, so you have to rely on portable medkits to heal yourself.
Players can throw grenades or launch a powerful melee attack at anytime without having to switch weapons, in addition, players will now have the ability to sprint (by holding down the run key and the forward movement key), evade (tapping both the run key and a movement key) and powering up their fists, all these abilities consumes the aux power of your combat suit. (Remember to bind new keys!)
To help the player with these new features, this mod incorporates a custom HUD built completely in ACS.
BETA 2 TRAILER
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD BETA 2 (v0.2a)
You will need GZDoom 1.8.0
When you have no ammo in your guns, you can always use your knuckles to beat the hell out of your foes. But sometimes, your bare fists are not enough... Hold down the Altfire key to charge up your fist to deliver a Power Punch!
Golam GW35B Assault Pistol
Your trusty starting sidearm. Small yet very powerful. No peashooter gun. It fires explosive .50AE bullets that do a lot damage to almost every enemy (even the high tier ones!). Rapid fire is a problem with this weapon though, as it quickly decreases accuracy, so timing your shots is essential in order to use this weapon effectively. Clip size is very small too, so its not recommended to use against numerous enemies.
Hydra HM9 Automatic Shotgun
Firing good ol' 12 Gauge shells, the autoshotgun is the ideal weapon for close to medium range combat, its is very effective against groups of light armored enemies due its spread and can do a considerable amount of damage at close range. However it doesn't perform very well against larger and stronger enemies, you will probably end up eating a lot more ammo than necessary.
Barracuda BA27-SC Assault Rifle
Lightweight, fast, accurate and reliable. This weapon will become one of your best friends, its fire rate and accuracy makes it the perfect weapon for medium to long range combat against light armored enemies. Rapid fire will decrease accuracy of this weapon though, If you need more accuracy, press the Alternate function key and you will aim down the scope of the weapon, giving you extra zoom and extra precision you need, at the cost of movement speed.
Raptor I4PA-ECS Nailshotgun
Big and tough enemies can be a problem, especially if they are on your face trying to tear you apart! Enter the Nailshotgun! This beast uses 4 Gauge SCMITR3 shells that fires high density spikes that can tear apart almost anything it hits, with this baby on your hands you can bring down the strongest monsters with a couple of shots. The big downside of this weapon is its reduced effective range, slow fire rate, small ammo clip and long reload times.. but it can do a lot of damage so its OK!
Taurus SA22M5 Personal Autocannon
Enemies comes in all shapes and forms! There are small, big, skinny, fat and ugly... and you probably want a weapon that is capable of dealing with all of them effectively and make things explode. The Taurus Autocannon is the answer! This big gun fires 30mm armor-piercing/explosive slugs at a high fire rate, dealing a lot of impact damage plus damaging nearby enemies, its clip size is also big, so you can fire away like a madman with this weapon. However at close range you will probably end blowing yourself up, and at long range you will probably end up wasting a lot of ammo due its inaccuracy.
Chimaera DM-REW9 Concussion Pulse Rifle
Large crowds of baddies are giving you trouble? Introducing the new Concussion Pulse Rifle. This weapon comes equipped with two modes: Pulse mode and Shock mode. Pulse mode will fire small bolts of plasma at a really high fire rate, the bolts will explode on impact and will slow down nearby enemies, very useful against light armored enemies. Shock mode will charge the weapon to fire a very powerful plasma bolt that will fly faster and will cause massive damage in a larger area, it also slows down enemies, very effective against heavier enemies. However this weapon is prone to overheat, so you better keep an eye on that temperature gauge! Its not very effective against bosses.
Orion EMSR-Mark5 Sniper Gauss Cannon
So you have this big boss harassing you from extreme distances, the Autocannon and Nailshotgun just doesn’t cut it for the job... you need something else, you need a gun that can do extreme damage at extreme ranges. Well, say hello the Orion Gauss Cannon! This new weapon fires high density depleted uranium slugs at high-hypersonic speeds, delivering massive damage. However, rapid fire will massively decrease accuracy of this weapon, so timing your shots is important if you don't want to waste precious ammo. For maximum accuracy, press the Alternate function key to aim down the weapon’s powerful scope, and press it again to switch between 4x and 16x zoom. Press reload to return to normal aim.
You throw them out and they explode... just that simple. However these grenades don’t explode on impact so you better throw them at the right spot for massive damage. If you want more power into your grenades, hold the Grenade key and charge them to deliver a Power grenade fastball!
Your MORPH S-10 Combat Suit comes equipped with special powers that will come in handy in combat. All these powers consume suit energy!
Power sprint: Hold Forward+Run keys to go twice your standard speed, you can’t fire your weapon while sprinting.
Power evade: Tap a Movement key + Run key to perform a power evade in the desired direction.
Power jump: Hold the Jump key to jump twice as high. You can leap over enemies now.
Power punch: While using fists. Hold down the Altfire key to beging charge, there are 4 levels of charge, when you reach level 4 (or maximum) all your shield power will be rerouted and they won't recharge until you unleash the power punch. You will get a damage boost proportional to the amount of shields you had before reaching maximum charge. While charged you will receive a speed boost and a 50% damage reduction bonus.
Power grenade fastball: Hold down the Grenade key to charge a grenade, there are 4 levels of charge, when you reach level 4 (or maximum) all your shield power will be rerouted and they won't recharge until you unleash the power punch. You will get a damage boost proportional to the amount of shields you had before reaching maximum charge. While charged you will receive a speed boost.
There is more yet to come!!
- Added support for more resolutions of the HUD
Suported resolutions:Spoiler: "4:3"
- Fixed Mauler leap attack bug that can hit the player eventhough the actor itself never hits the player
- Fixed bug that made gibs "float" if they land on top of a moving floor
- Fixed bug that made the random spawner spawn too many health stims
- Pistol, Assault Rifle, Autocannon and Concussion Pulse Rifle have slightly increased damage
- Increased impact and blast damage of Power fist
- For better performance, Power fists' blast damage only can gib enemies in a very small radius, at large distances the blast damage won't gib enemies.
- Different firing sound for the Assault Rifle
- Different reload sounds for the Sniper Gauss
- Reduced 5% player speed
- Reduced regular and power jump delay
- Autocannon small ammo pickup added, this with the single grenade pickup now replace the single rocket pickup of vanilla Doom
- Autocannon large ammo pickups now give 15 slugs instead of 10, but now have only 70% chance of appearing on map
- Added editor numbers for ammo pickups and health stims so they can be used on map editors.
- Reduced volume of grunt's death screams
- Increased attack delay in most enemies
- Slightly reduced Hell Knight speed
- Slightly increased Revenant speed and health
- And other minor tweaks that I may forgot
- New weapon: Chimaera Concussion Pulse Rifle!
- New weapon: Orion Sniper Gauss Cannon!
- New suit power: Power jump!
- New suit power: Power grenade fastball!
- New automap HUD!
- HUD is now compatible for 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions (thanks to CommanderZ!)
- New animations for the fists
- New look and animations for the autocannon and nailshotgun
- Autocannon no longer overheats
- Increased fire rate and magazine size for Autocannon
- New widescreen friendly melee animations for all weapons
- New widescreen friendly reload animations for autoshotgun and assault rifle
- Changed scope reticle of the assault rifle
- Reduced charge time for the powered up attacks
- Reduced charge levels for the powered up attacks
- Reduced energy consumption for sprint
- Evade no longer takes away weapon control
- Increased player health (to 200 hp)
- Increased player speed
- Increased melee speed and range
- Power fists have increased damage
- Maximum charged attacks receive damage bonus from your shields
- Shields no longer recharge when powered up attacks are at maximum
- Player moves faster when powered up attacks are at maximum
- Player receives 50% damage reduction bonus when powered up fists are at maximum
- New Defense Sphere (50% damage reduction) replaces the Partial Invisibility Sphere
- Special feature available only on Masochist skill level!
- Shield boosters now give 6 seconds of shield invulnerability when used
- Health packs are only picked up if the player enough room for 2 or more health stims
- Reduced gore for better performance
- Fixed bug that "saves" power punch charges when exiting a level
- Implemented the named script system for all the ACS scripts
- All grunts attack using projectiles instead of hitscan
- Reduced speed for the grunts
- Enemies spam less projectiles
- Enemies have more than one way of attacking
- Improved SFX for the enemy projectiles
- And many many other bug fixes and improvements!
Spoiler: OLD GAMEPLAY VIDEOS
BETA RELEASE TRAILER (CURRENT VERSION):
THIRD DEMO VIDEO:
SECOND DEMO VIDEO (OLD VERSION)
FIRST DEMO VIDEO (VERY OLD VERSION)