The "Fresh Free Game Deals" Thread issues

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

The "Fresh Free Game Deals" Thread issues

Post by NeuralStunner »

EDIT: Everyone feel free to post here about problems with stuff from the freebies thread, so that one doesn't get cluttered up.

Kinsie wrote:Hitman Absolution is free at GOG for the next 72 hours to close out their summer sale in... well, not style since Absolution isn't exactly great, but in some way or another.
Anyone else get caught in an endless loop between the game page and the sale frontpage? Same issues in browser and the Galaxy client this time. Seems like there should be a "get the game" button on the game banner, but there's not. :?
Last edited by NeuralStunner on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The "Fresh Free Game Deals" Thread issues

Post by Rachael »

Split the topic so that a distracting discussion doesn't take place in the original.

As for your issue - try a private/incognito window without addons.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The GoG site really wasn't working well at all earlier today. It seems OK now and I just added Hitman Absolution to my collection.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Guessing it must've been server load. Tried it again later and it was fine - at least in the client, I don't know if FF and derivatives are working properly or not.

Rachael et al.: You could link this thread from the main one if you'd like, to encourage decluttering. It'll get lost quickly otherwise, I imagine.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Not a bad idea - I'll edit that in. I doubt many people are going to see it though unless they look at the first post in the thread.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Re: The "Fresh Free Game Deals" Thread

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Kinsie wrote:Spirits of Xanadu is free for some unspecified amount of time over at IndieGala along with a bunch of other games... but this is the only one that doesn't look like utter fucking trash so it's the only one I'm linking! Ha!
So, how exactly does one get that game? I don't see anything in the page indicating it. I already have an account and I'm logged in, but all I see is a "download not available" grayed out button.
axredneck
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks Gez. I would have missed several GOG giveaways had it not been for you flagging them up (and, yes, I do get emails from them but I have a bad habit of not checking that account frequently enough).

Tangentially related, I have noticed that, in firefox, the giveaway function has not been working recently:

For some reason, it never gets past those three dots just flashing away. It works fine on Chrome. I've tried disabling NoScript, uBlock, Privacy Badger etc. but firefox still refuses to allow the site to work. Anyone else experiencing similar?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:07 pm
For some reason, it never gets past those three dots just flashing away. It works fine on Chrome. I've tried disabling NoScript, uBlock, Privacy Badger etc. but firefox still refuses to allow the site to work. Anyone else experiencing similar?
Think it was a fluke. The system may have been overburdened at that moment and it may have had nothing to do with your browser, but rather with the server being unable to fetch the redemption script.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's been more persistent than just a one-off though. The last couple of giveaways have shown this problem (even after multiple retries) but Chrome has worked straight away.

I guess I'll see what happens with the next giveaway. The rest of the site seems to be working OK. Maybe there is something about the countdown timer script that my Firefox settings do not like.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I was unable to claim Blacksad for the same reason, no matter when I tried it. Using Firefox with uBlock Origin.

I should hope that GOG aren't being that foolish to try to break it on purpose, considering they already automatically sign you up for their newsletter when you click it (even if you can very easily, quickly unsubscribe in the same browser session).
axredneck
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

You can claim (any) current GOG giveaway using this link: https://www.gog.com/giveaway/claim
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:52 pm Using Firefox with uBlock Origin.
I did try disabling uBlock Origin but I still had the problem after disabling it and refreshing the page. I also have uBlock Origin installed in Chrome and I did not have to disable it to get the GOG site to work in that browser.
axredneck wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:57 pm You can claim (any) current GOG giveaway using this link: https://www.gog.com/giveaway/claim
I'll give that a go with the next one. Thanks.
Right now, for obvious reasons, I just get the message "Already claimed".
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

I have the problem too, also on Firefox. For me, it seems to work if I refresh and go back and forth between the main page and the previous page a couple of times.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I had the same issue and had to resort to Chrome to claim Blacksad. (I keep Chrome around just as my last resort browser for sites that absolutely refuse to work with anything else.) But then Waterfox updated and I could claim Whisperer normally.

Return to “Off-Topic”