Universal ZScript Enemy Damage Flash [Hacky]

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.

Universal ZScript Enemy Damage Flash [Hacky]

Postby Smedis2 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:31 pm

I've always wanted the ability to have state-independent damage flashing in G/ZDoom. I've done several attempts at it, first originally a really, really garbage one using DECORATE and ACS, and now this much nicer (but jankily coded, not super amazingly great with ZScript at the moment) version that works with everything (god bless event handlers!) Be forewarned, it doesn't play super nicely with renderstyles (spectres only seem to work if set to Software fuzz).

https://youtu.be/DhtVmF2qqeA Exciting gameplay footage!!

If anyone's willing to make this less ass, I'd appreciate it.

**EDIT: Just fixed a bug involving it not working when enemies gain health**
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Smedis2 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Smedis2

Discord: Smeddy Too#7051
Twitch ID: Smedis9

Re: Universal ZScript Enemy Damage Flash [Hacky]

Postby Carrotear » Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Doesn't seem to work with damage numbers, war trophies and nashmove when it's loaded first. When it's loaded last with those mods, the enemies disappear after getting hit.
Carrotear
I like chocky

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Smedis2 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Carrotear wrote:Doesn't seem to work with damage numbers, war trophies and nashmove when it's loaded first. When it's loaded last with those mods, the enemies disappear after getting hit.

Strange. I'm able to replicate the apparent conflicts when loading it in a certain order, but the other mods seem to work fine on my end. https://youtu.be/_nrCfYQWF3I

Could someone else check and see if they have the same issue?
Smedis2

Postby Carrotear » Fri May 29, 2020 6:38 pm

I just did more testing. having universal entropy behind damage flash causes enemies to disappear. I'll do more testing.
Carrotear
I like chocky

Postby Carrotear » Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Ok so far, when I have damage flash in front of the load order it disables most mods. I found a way around that and just put it behind everything and it's fine. Universal Entropy mainly to my knowledge doesn't work right in front of damage flash or behind it. Aside from bugs, this is great to run with the Omega Zero mod and Rampancy.

Edit: Nope it wasnt Entropy. It was the champions mod. I'm bad at identifying things.

2nd Edit: Other things I'm noticing is that in legendoom lite, the legendary glow effect is uhh...suppressed if that makes any sense. Lost Souls in general go invisble after a few hits.
Carrotear
I like chocky

Postby Smedis2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:15 pm

Wow! I just realized that the reason the conflicts were happening was probably because I made it "EventHandler" and not "AddEventHandler! Truly a moment of Smart Brain(tm). Fixed now.
Smedis2

Postby Smedis2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Finally fixed the Stinkiest(tm) bug by changing 3 letters. I realized I was passing the Alpha storage variable to an Int and not a Float. And it only took me a whole month to realize this!
Smedis2

Return to Script Library