SpriteShadow v2.0 (now built into GZDoom 4.6.0!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

SpriteShadow v2.0 (now built into GZDoom 4.6.0!)

Post by Nash »

Sprite shadows are now built directly into the engine as of GZDoom 4.6.0!

You can enable it in the Display Options menu, or you can use SpriteShadows v2.0 to enable sprite shadows without user intervention (user still has the option to turn them off).

Lastly, you can enable or disable sprite shadows on actors individually by using the +CASTSPRITESHADOW and +NOSPRITESHADOW flag!

Requires GZDoom 4.6.0 or higher!

Update May 23rd 2021 (version 2.0)

- Update mod to utilize engine-native sprite shadow rendering.
- Relicense to MIT.
Spoiler: Old Updates
Have fun!

Though not required, I would appreciate it if you credit "Nash Muhandes" if you add the event handler-based mod (SpriteShadow v2.0) into your mods or standalone games. No need to ask for my permission to use it; just credit me!

Download latest version / Github repository

Thank you for the previous 9000+ downloads!

Wanna chat about my mods? Join my studio's Discord server, Mischief Donut!

I spend an uncountable amount of hours making mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon for cool benefits!
Attachments
SpriteShadow v2.0.pk3
Utilizes engine-based sprite shadows
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 3536 times
Last edited by Nash on Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:05 am, edited 43 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [ZScript] Duke3D-style Actor Shadows [WIP]

Post by Rachael »

Glad to see you didn't give up on this despite the guy who originally asked giving up on it so quickly. :)
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

I don't remember how it was in Duke3D, but if there's a ledge, won't part of the shadow end up hovering in the air?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Yessss! I've wanted something like this for a long, long time!
Nash wrote:Since extending Actor isn't allowed in ZScript, making this work with ANY monster in any mod is going to be tricky
Honestly, making this work with EVERY actor may not actually be a good idea - not every actor will look good with this, resulting in weird things like shadows for fire on torches etc.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Fucking hell, this is incredible.

Dumb question, but just to make sure, would it be all right if I nicked it for use in my own projects?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Kinsie: I think I can limit it to actual living monsters by just doing a check for the +ISMONSTER (bIsMonster in ZScript) flag, although of course this won't be 100% fool proof against people who are doing hacky things with Things that aren't supposed to be monsters but are still flagged as such...

TerminusEst13: Have fun! When/if I update this to be more modular, I'll update this thread. I don't think the way I did it in that proof of concept is the best way (I can't imagine copy/pasting all that into every monster definition... a better way would be if this thing just works in the background with minimal code)

Additionally, I'm not feeling too good about that hack I did to force the shadow to be drawn under the monster (that is, spawning the shadow -> spawning a copy of said monster -> destroying original/map-placed copy of monster, in that order)... o_O
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of avenue for tweaking to make things more streamlined, but I think that's half the fun of things like this. It's like a puzzle game!

You'll probably solve it first, but I still like fiddling and experimenting. :D

Thank you very much again for this!
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks very interesting! Hopefully you figure out a way to do this for everything.
Nash

Re: Duke3D-style Actor Shadows [WIP] - Doom monsters done

Post by Nash »

New version in OP!
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Do you really need to extend Actor to do this across the board? It's only monsters that generate this effect in Duke, right?

(/me might be posting without any real idea of how much ZScript is/isn't capable of)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yes, because if I don't extend Actor, I'd have to end up coding the functionality and a bunch of "replaces" for EVERY kind of monster (what I am doing in the latest version of the WAD in the OP). And it won't cover mod monsters without manual intervention.

The whole point of putting it in Actor is so that every monster in any mod, ever, will have the functionality, because when it boils down to it, everything you place in the map descends from Actor.

Simply checking for bIsMonster is enough to filter the effect to only happen on actual, living monsters... should be a non-issue, in most cases. So don't worry, the shadows won't be spawned for items, decorative stuff, etc...

(and again, I am already doing a monster check in the WAD in the OP - this shadow won't appear on the player, even if you give yourself the item - it will only appear on monsters)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very impressive work, congraulations for this showcase of the capabilities ZScript has :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

looks great! this is something that I felt should always been apart of zdoom. nice to see it done with such skill
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Nash, I gotta say this is a gamechanger. It looks good in screenshots, but actually playing is incredible. I never knew how much I needed this until now. This tiny change makes Doom look so much better.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thank you! I really want to make this modular and be autoload-friendly, so I'll just wait for "extends Actor" to be possible.

I also could submit it as a GZDoom feature but I think that's way out of scope for base engine functionality.

EDIT: Found a bug

Monsters that disappear when dying (Lost Soul, Pain Elemental) will leave their shadows behind despite their corpse not existing anymore. Will be fixed for next version

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”