[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine - Not dead yet!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Apothem

[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine - Not dead yet!

Post by Apothem »

Well it's official! I've gotta start working on this as I've got a huge obligation now to at least get this thing started. All the specifics are listed below and I plan on making sure this thing gets done coding wise at least, even if no one helps me (which I know some of you really want to do. :P )

(EDIT: Here is the original thread on this project)

EDIT2: I have created an IRC room where you can ask questions and/or watch discussions on the development of this project! Join #PSI on irc.oftc.net in IRC to see.

Updates:
Previous updates:
Spoiler:
3/20/07 - Uhhh see my most recent post.
Last edited by Apothem on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 am, edited 98 times in total.
SirTimberWolf

Post by SirTimberWolf »

mmm... *bookmarks*

Cant wait to see this develop...

If it does look me up for a mapper's slot... I'm busy working on a few things at the moment, but I'd like to help.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

SirTimberWolf wrote:mmm... *bookmarks*

Cant wait to see this develop...

If it does look me up for a mapper's slot... I'm busy working on a few things at the moment, but I'd like to help.
Okay, I'll throw you up there in the mapping team with a (support) tag so that way you can at least have your spot reserved for when things get going.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

whatabout me? I'm working on the stuff I posted in your earlier thread :twisted:
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

KingofFlames wrote:whatabout me? I'm working on the stuff I posted in your earlier thread :twisted:
You, sir, have not been paying attention to the specifications I have provided. Read the tags on town specifications. Also make sure you do not add any mobiles to the map.... All monster & item placements will be done by me.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I won't add any mobiles, too hard to do. I'm not even doing the town part remember? I'm doing the dungeons
SirTimberWolf

Post by SirTimberWolf »

not to sound like im being a whiny bitch or anything but if this is gonna be an engine, remember REMEMBER:

Make youre code portable

not neccessarily plug and play, but from what i've been reading in the other posts it seems that this will be a one shot deal =(
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

You just helped me figure out some specifications to the dungeon. Thanks. As for what you're doing.... Give it a shot, but dont get too involved with it. Give me the basic map before you start detailing the crap out of it or whatever takes the most time for you to complete a map. I just want to see your basic layout before you continue with the finished product.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

KingofFlames wrote:whatabout me? I'm working on the stuff I posted in your earlier thread :twisted:
Wasn't the focus supposed to be on building up a story line at this point?
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

solarsnowfall wrote:
Wasn't the focus supposed to be on building up a story line at this point?
Beat me to the edit button, oh well. Read the note on general map specifications.... The first post will change durastically in the next few days untill I have everything figured out. So no mapping of any sort will help me right now, but you may sign up for a slot if you wish. All mappers that will be supposedly helping out will get a support slot untill I figure out what I'm looking for etc. I will be checking with you on what you shall create as soon as things get figured out. When I edit the aforementioned post with specifications for dungeons and towns, I shall individually notify each support mapper and check work. Those who make something I can really use, I'll add to the mappers list. By the end of all this, there should be 3 divisions of mappers: towns, dungeons, and world map.

More details on this later.... But for the mean time: Dont bother touching your editors because I have nothing for you to build yet!! :evil:
SirTimberWolf wrote:not to sound like im being a whiny bitch or anything but if this is gonna be an engine, remember REMEMBER:

Make youre code portable

not neccessarily plug and play, but from what i've been reading in the other posts it seems that this will be a one shot deal =(
The code itself, should be easy to transfer to other versions of Zdoom, I hope to get this all working (scripting wise) for engines such as skulltag and the normal version of zdoom. Just for now, we're gonna sexy GZDoom maps.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Two strong GZDoom projects! Yay!
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Deathsong12 wrote:Two strong GZDoom projects! Yay!
That is right, you're doing yours in GZDoom as well.... Heh. Well, lets hope both our projects make it through the grinder :P

EDIT: Wait a second... Both projects depend on you... God damn it! Get your lazy ass in gear! :P The sooner we get these stories out of the way the sooner we can start working on everything :lol:
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Can't wait to see how you're gonna do those camera effects, especially the 3rd person view for the overworld, unless you're just using Zdoom's own chase cam. But yeah... Trust me, it's kinda hard, unless you can figure out some way to rotate a camera around a point (the player). I was able to get an almost completely working camera (over the shoulder, RE4 style), but I didn't know how to make it rotate around the player, so if you turned, even though the camera still pointed the right way, it just turned in place, instead of around the player. Not to mention it doesn't look up or down. Oy.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

BetaSword wrote:Can't wait to see how you're gonna do those camera effects, especially the 3rd person view for the overworld, unless you're just using Zdoom's own chase cam. But yeah... Trust me, it's kinda hard, unless you can figure out some way to rotate a camera around a point (the player). I was able to get an almost completely working camera (over the shoulder, RE4 style), but I didn't know how to make it rotate around the player, so if you turned, even though the camera still pointed the right way, it just turned in place, instead of around the player. Not to mention it doesn't look up or down. Oy.
Figured that out in the vehicles concept map. I should release that prefab, shouldn't I? :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's nothing you can do about the up or down looking as there is no function in Zdoom to calculate the looking pictch... I personally think it doesnt really matter anyway because of the fact that a lot of people dont use mouselook from what I've heard... Besides, with cars, you dont need to look up and down you need to be able to turn.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Yeah, I'm sure through some crazy math and crap one could make the camera rotate around the player, taking advantage of the GetActorAngle command for that... Probably some sine/cosine crap needed, too... I should check out some calculator programs that do circles and crap to see what math they use... Undoubtedly there's some overly complicated math involved... Oy.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”