Demon Eclipse Mod Thread - New Beta Up-Testers needed. p. 1

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Hobbs
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Post by Hobbs »

NiGHTMARE wrote:What's sadder: having a "fit" over someone spewing a load of crap, or having a "fit" because you didn't like a wad?

I'm going for the latter.
I'm about to have a QUOTE fit UNQUOTE because you stole a damn good custom title.

Wait never mind its not as if you hold any lawful ownership to that string of text..
User avatar
SMG M7
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Here, or there

Post by SMG M7 »

Nash wrote:I just installed a new graphics card (the GeForce 6800GS AGP, yeah crap by todays' standards but a huge leap from my GeForce 4 MX 440 o_O) and Sapphire runs full FPS from start to finish for me.

Conclusion: Hardware matters.
Indeed it does, but my own 5600 XT runs it fine. It's not like it's Doom 3 or anything. :wink:
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

SMG M7 wrote:
Nash wrote:I just installed a new graphics card (the GeForce 6800GS AGP, yeah crap by todays' standards but a huge leap from my GeForce 4 MX 440 o_O) and Sapphire runs full FPS from start to finish for me.

Conclusion: Hardware matters.
Indeed it does, but my own 5600 XT runs it fine. It's not like it's Doom 3 or anything. :wink:
I dunno, I have more problems with some of these old games than Doom3 sometimes. Probably some driver issue.

@Belial. I'm going to move the ammo around the map and add more spawn scripts. Or Maybe a doomsphere will even i more. At anyrate. I've already removed the original map07 from the mod. It was the first map I made using Zdoom's hexen format and it was mostly a test. I'm going to rebuild it when i get enough ideas. I have a general design out, but not sure how big i want to make it.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Phobus
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:56 am
Location: London

Post by Phobus »

@DoomerX: Shut up, we don't really care.

@Others: Might I advise not reacting to him, and getting all offended? You may act like he's really immature and an arse, but all you're doing is giving him mor to work with, and usually you look bad whislt you're at it too.

@Eriance: This wad is an impressive feat. I've enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the gameplay does start to breakdown in episode two. I'm finding it less and less interesting. Maybe a little tweak here and there might be better? A little more variety?
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

Phobus wrote:@Eriance: This wad is an impressive feat. I've enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the gameplay does start to breakdown in episode two. I'm finding it less and less interesting. Maybe a little tweak here and there might be better? A little more variety?
Yeah, I do indeed need to teak the maps. Especially my first two (Maps 07 and 10). THey seems to be quite cramped....and just stuffed with mosnters. I'm mostly likely going to remove the starting parts of Map 10 and make it over. Or atleast make it roomier.
User avatar
Phobus
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:56 am
Location: London

Post by Phobus »

I've sort of lost track as to what level I'm on. It's all moulded into one and just seems to be a non-stop run through the same environment. Good/bad? I'm not sure to be honest. Might explain why it's seeming to go too slowly though.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49053
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

And a little less aggressive monsters? Especially the Guardians are an utter nightmare. As much as I disagree with Hobbs's review style he is correct about one thing: The gameplay in the second episode is not particularly good. It's no fun having to fight continuously against overpowered monsters.

Take for example the opening of MAP10: You are immediately assaulted by 2 Hell Knights, 2 Arch Viles and 8/12/16 (easy/medium/hard) Guardians! And that doesn't even take the Imps in the corners into account. Personally I found what I have seen so far way to excessive. As much as I like the architecture I doubt this WAD is something to keep. The first (old) episode is definitely more fun.
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

Phobus wrote:I've sort of lost track as to what level I'm on. It's all moulded into one and just seems to be a non-stop run through the same environment. Good/bad? I'm not sure to be honest. Might explain why it's seeming to go too slowly though.
It was meant to be a fortress type episode. But I think i'm gonna add some more outside areas to some of these maps. mostly likely 7 and 10 to make it a big less boring. Episode 3 should be much better as each map has it's own theme.
Graf Zahl wrote:Take for example the opening of MAP10: You are immediately assaulted by 2 Hell Knights, 2 Arch Viles and 8/12/16 (easy/medium/hard) Guardians! And that doesn't even take the Imps in the corners into account. Personally I found what I have seen so far way to excessive. As much as I like the architecture I doubt this WAD is something to keep. The first (old) episode is definitely more fun.
Will be fixed when i remake the start of map 10. I am having some trouble understanding how the weapons are somehow "underpowered" though. All teh weapons in the Second episode is more powerful than the doom equivilent, especially with the doom sphere (which i need to make better use of, i think).
Last edited by Amuscaria on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cutmanmike
Posts: 11335
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:41 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Cutmanmike »

Guardians.... are those the things with sheilds? I hated those so much.
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

Cutmanmike wrote:Guardians.... are those the things with sheilds? I hated those so much.
No, it's those flying cubes that shoots fireballs from mtheir eyes. I've dropped their firing sequence from 5(x2) to 3(x2). Should be a bit easier now. Or i might just give it a much higher painchance (currently 32).

But now that you mention the Deathknights, I've been unable to fix a certain bug. Here's the decorate for it:
Spoiler:
It's supposed to go into it's Shield-walking chase state whenever it goes into the pain state (most of the time). However, The shield walk doesn't actually block anything and it can still be hurt sometimes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49053
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks. Those things completely took the fun out of the game.
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

Graf Zahl wrote:Thanks. Those things completely took the fun out of the game.
Is raising the painchance better ot just reducing the number of fireballs it shoots? O_o
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 49053
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hard to say. But they were definitely shooting way too much.

I'd say reduce the amount of projectiles. Since these things tend to come in swarms the painchance wouldn't really help that much.
User avatar
Cutmanmike
Posts: 11335
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:41 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Cutmanmike »

Working or not, they were a pain in the ass. :P
User avatar
Amuscaria
Posts: 6627
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Growing from mycelium near you.

Post by Amuscaria »

Cutmanmike wrote:Working or not, they were a pain in the ass. :P
Were meant to be. :D

Return to “Editing (Archive)”