ZDoom 2.0.98 Bugfixing bugfix release

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Belial

Post by Belial »

DOOMGUY

jallamann

Post by jallamann »

omgf n0000b
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Now do you understand why I don't like OpenGL? There's hundreds of different card/driver combinations and it's unpredictable as to which games work/don't work/crash etc. on which ones. And if you try to update the card and/or drivers you could screw up other games etc. (which was what caused all the trouble I used to have with it)
Graf Zahl wrote:Please don't tell me you are making more of these highly annoying buildings where you can't see what's attacking you from the inside. :?
Nothing wrong with those, they're a rather impressive feat of fake 3D engineering. :p

Besides, who says there's gonna be monsters inside them? ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote: Nothing wrong with those, they're a rather impressive feat of fake 3D engineering. :p

Most people I talked to called them 'crude hacks'.
You have a rather high threshold for glitchy effects so you may not notice it but there are those who think it's bad mapping practice to abuse an engine that much.
The Ultimate DooMer

Yes they're held together with sticky tape and plaster some times (especially the back-to-back one I did in map 10 of SSD) but how else can you achieve a true 3D building in ZDoom?

(and you gotta appreciate the genius that goes into them, bad practices or no :p)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:how else can you achieve a true 3D
I'd question that they were "true 3D" but in software mode, of course there is no other way. However, genuine 3D is amazingly simple to use (I've been playing with it recently. I was concerned it might be complex, but it just isn't) and of course the results are better because it actually is 3D.

However, if you can't/don't want/don't like OpenGL, well - your decision of course.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Yes they're held together with sticky tape and plaster some times (especially the back-to-back one I did in map 10 of SSD) but how else can you achieve a true 3D building in ZDoom?

It took me an hour alone to fix this particular spot with 3D-floors. Replacing all those hacks and the skybox windows required 2 days of work total but now my personal version of SSD is much better than the original! :mrgreen:
The Ultimate DooMer

Enjay wrote:However, if you can't/don't want/don't like OpenGL, well - your decision of course.
I was going to use it for the 3D floors (to make nice Unreal-style village hut roofs and proper doors/windows instead of the 3D fakery)...but of course OpenGL doesn't like me... :roll:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Maybe there is a solution. Since you are saying that you can run Doomsday, could you tell me what graphics mode (resolution, bit depth and refresh rate) you are using there?

Also could you post the entire startup log?

But I can promise you now that with your old card you will never get satisfactory GL support. It is just missing some features that are required to handle all of ZDoom's enhanced features (like skyboxes, sector stacks or mirrors.)
The Ultimate DooMer

Res is 640x480 fullscreen (it doesn't like it if it's not less than the windows screen res plus I can't minimise without a crash), I dunno how to check the other two. Logs:
Spoiler: Hexen
Spoiler: Korax
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

And what does GZDoom say?
The Ultimate DooMer

Spoiler: GZDoom
Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

"+logfile log.txt" in the command line will produce a log file in "log.txt"
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think I do a test version to find the cause for the failed initialization. This is a little strange because the GL driver is definitely recognized.
The Ultimate DooMer

Yeah, and it does the titlepic, menus etc. fine, although it won't initialise in windowed mode. (I get lovely shades of red and green when I try :p)

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”