[WinZETH] 2003-10-15 Hopefully I'm getting close.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

[WinZETH] 2003-10-15 Hopefully I'm getting close.

Post by Chris »

I don't know how much more I'll be working on WinZETH. I don't plan on dropping it per se, but I have other projects that seem to be vying for my attention. I'll still do bug fixes, and maybe some tweaks, and maybe even a new feature, but don't expect frequent updates. Besides, the source code is freely available for anyone to pick up my slack.

Anyway, noteable changes:
  • The 64x64 floor grid is a lighter blue so it stands out from the rest of the grid.
  • Linedef dimensioning is disabled until I figure out why offscreen numbers get misplaced on screen.
  • Shift+Ins behaves properly.
  • Can now be run from any directory, without having to be in the same directory as the executable. The datafiles and ini/cfg files must still be with the executable, though.
As usual, I've probably neglected to mention something that's slipped my mind.

Windows users: If ZETH mysteriously crashes/disapears when selecting linedefs, or if your display corrupts, open allegro.cfg, find the line 'gfx_cardw = ' and set it to DXOV. It's an identified Allegro issue with DirectX accelerated windows which crash, and GDI windows which corrupt, the program.
Attachments
zeth-20031015.zip
(394.2 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
Jim

Linux

Post by Jim »

Well, it seems like you've fixed all the problems I mentioned in Linux (probably minus the fullscreen mode, which I didn't test since I didn't want to bother crashing X). I just compiled it fine and I did not come upon any problems in starting it up changing the resolution, and fiddling around with doom2 map01.

I can't remember if its supposed to save the path that you give it for iwad on startup in the config file (after looking for the and not finding it). That may be a good thing to do though. Overall, I think you should ask Randy if you can proclaim this to be Zeth 4.18 and if so simply release it as such if there aren't any serious bugs left.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, there's a few things I've noticed... First in the fullscreen browser you can't select between the different texture types yet, although that's not really a bug. Second, when you enter a texture name in the list browser if you just start typing the first letter will keep getting overwitten. That should be easy to fix, though. And when it searches for a wad lump that's not supposed to be in a namespace, it erroneously checks in the namespaces. Checking within namespaces works fine, however. Fourth is the memory leaks, although the leaks that I'm aware of were present before I even got to the source. Also I want to change the question boxes to have Yes/No boxes that you can click, in addition to being able to press Y or N. I also want to change the new alert boxes (the out of place black and white ones) to use the normal question boxes ZETH uses. I wouldn't consider those bugs, though. So barring any more real bugs I introduced, I guess all I need is Randy's OK.

What say you, Randy? Should I release it as ZETH 4.18 or would you prefer I rename it and release it as something else?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

If I may interject with my two_bits.

ZETH, to me, refers to the DOS version. I would stick with WinZETH.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Except it can still be compiled in DJGPP and run in DOS, along with Linux and most likely other Unixes.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Zeth32 perhaps. :)
Jim

Zeth 5.0

Post by Jim »

How about Zeth 5.0? That would suitably indicate the major change between version 4.17 and this version.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

You're working on winzeth? A zeth program for windows!? SWEET!! Don't you DARE stop working!
Chris

Post by Chris »

An interesting update. For some reason, I've been pulled into converting it from C into C++. :shock: The gfx system is mostly done, although it still has the C layer so the rest of the code still works as-is (though as the rest of the program gets converted, this layer will disappear). As a result though, I've been tweaking the functions, splitting/combining them as needed and removing things which aren't used. I have a good feeling about this. It's also a good time to take care of all those memory leaks.

However, don't expect another release anytime soon. Unless there's a bug that needs to be fixed, or a simple feature, I probably won't release anything until it's fully, or mostly, converted.
PSchmitz

Post by PSchmitz »

Chris wrote:An interesting update. For some reason, I've been pulled into converting it from C into C++. :shock: The gfx system is mostly done, although it still has the C layer so the rest of the code still works as-is (though as the rest of the program gets converted, this layer will disappear). As a result though, I've been tweaking the functions, splitting/combining them as needed and removing things which aren't used. I have a good feeling about this. It's also a good time to take care of all those memory leaks.

However, don't expect another release anytime soon. Unless there's a bug that needs to be fixed, or a simple feature, I probably won't release anything until it's fully, or mostly, converted.
My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you (wink...wink...nudge...nudge), and I thank you.

Seriously, this is the best thing to happen to DOOM since BOOM and ZDOOM. :D
Chris

Post by Chris »

my sister thanks you
Can she do that in person? plzkthxbye.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Hm, Winzeth always switches to fullscreen no matter what I say in the conf.
Chris

Post by Chris »

It probably isn't able to set a windowed mode. One possibility is that you're setting the window mode to the same resolution as the desktop (seems Allegro refuses to set a window size larger than the desktop). Or if you're forcing the Overlay driver, it's probably having trouble setting the video mode.

If it's neither, can you provide more info? Desktop resolution/color depth, relevant config settings(both for WinZETH and allegro.cfg if you changed anything in there), video card, ect.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Windows desktop: 1024x768x32bpp
ZETH desktop: 800x600
How do I find out whether I am using the Overlay driver? In earlier releases (those before 20031015) actually gave me a window.
And yeah, zeth.ini:
GraphFront = False
UsePromptOnly = False
Video=3 (800x600)
Fullscreen=False
Chris

Post by Chris »

There really isn't a way you can test if you're using the overlay driver without modifying the source(fyi, gfx_driver->name is a char pointer to the driver type. gfx_driver is valid only after successfully setting a video mode though). Though if you didn't specificly set it, you're probably not using it.

Try this. Open up allegro.cfg and go down to the line with gfx_cardw. If it's not set to anything, set it to DXOV. If it is set to something, then set it to nothing.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”