Cannot load DEFCVARS from a WAD file...

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Cannot load DEFCVARS from a WAD file...

Post by Darkcrafter »

Whatever I do, be it LZDoom or GZDoom of any version, be it even an empty defcvar, or a flagship "WAD" - Blade of Agony, it's the same message in the console: "Cannot load DEFCVARS from a WAD file". I even tried downloading Rachael's converter and it's the same.

What I want to load it for? I'd like to bundle my batch file crafted Hell Renaissance "launcher" with an option to select:

1) Music style:
a) OPL3 - set music device to ADLMidi with my settings and load a PK3 with MIDI files made for that particular device and bank;
b) GM - set it to FluidSynth with my soundfont and load a PK3 with MIDI files made particulary for that soundfont;
c) Use a custom PK3 loaded with OGG or OPUS compressed music files.

2) Controls style:
a) for all mods set the game control scheme to Half-Life WASD;
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Cannot load DEFCVARS from a WAD file...

Post by Rachael »

'defcvars' only works when loaded from a file that is loaded as an -iwad file.

I advocated for allowing it from mods, on the virtue that any harm that could be done by it is mitigated by the fact that when you have GZDoom installed already, none of the user's configured cvars actually change (it would require a fresh GZDoom install) - but I was double-overruled.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

That's weird, maybe then nobody could imagine that mods could be redistributed like such :blergh:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well in forks (like Redemption) and in some commercial game releases using the GZDoom engine, the restriction is turned off because ultimately the perceived potential harm is simply non-existent. There are far greater and more effective avenues for abuse and grief by modders than swapping out defaults that will ultimately be completely invisible to a long-time GZDoom user.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Great to know there are some engines doing it the other way.

I think there must be a different way of doing things like I want. A config override feature? It's like the same config ini file but only partial.

So I'd create a lump file, packed it in a WAD or PK3 and call it "CFGTWEAK", there I place only those settings that are needed to be changed every time I run that mod, so it wouldn't affect the initial user settings while playing other mods.

So that every time that mod is running some settings are configured according to CFGTWEAK lump. Like those guys who despise linear filtering may provide a special WAD with their mod or level "TheWayItsMeantToBePlayed.pk3" containing that cfgtweak lump.

Also a nice way to bundle music WADs with music device set to that was used while making them.
Mus_OPL.wad/pk3 - containing MIDIs made for OPL synth with a particualar fm bank and a CFGTWEAK lump to set it right;
MUS_GM.wad/pk3 - containing MIDIs made for FluidSynth with a particular sound font patch and a CFGTWEAK lump to set it right.

The user could still change settings during the game for sure but every time that mod restarts all configuration reverts back to what's inside of the CFGTWEAK lump.

Code: Select all

[SoundfontSearch.Directories]
Path=$PROGDIR/soundfonts
Path=$PROGDIR/fm_banks

snd_mididevice=-5

fluid_chorus=false
fluid_chorus_depth=8
fluid_chorus_level=1
fluid_chorus_speed=0.30000001192092896
fluid_chorus_type=0
fluid_chorus_voices=3
fluid_gain=0.5