[Reds Over World] ROWAn - A Reds Over World Addon

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: [Reds Over World] ROWAn - A Reds Over World Addon

Post by ZikShadow »

I did experiment with raising where the bullets come from, but it ended up causing the tracers to spawn in the center of the screen instead of from the gun. There's probably a way to both have the bullets come from the gun and have it aim properly down the center, but I've yet to find out how. Will need to research further.
WojtTheDoomer2K

Post by WojtTheDoomer2K »

ZikShadow wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:23 am I did experiment with raising where the bullets come from, but it ended up causing the tracers to spawn in the center of the screen instead of from the gun. There's probably a way to both have the bullets come from the gun and have it aim properly down the center, but I've yet to find out how. Will need to research further.
Sorry to bother you with a quasi-off-top question, but perhaps do you have any tips/advice on how to remove the double scope mechanic from the SVD? My attempts have only messed up the weapon's code, and I want to get rid of it in the 2.0 patch.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Remove "SNPS A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("M40A1Zoom", 1, "ZoomMore")" from the altfire state. If you feel like being tidy, remove the ZoomMore state as well.
Once you're done, change the 2 in "SNPS A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("M40A1Zoom", 2, "ZoomOut")" to 1.
WojtTheDoomer2K

ZikShadow wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:25 pm Remove "SNPS A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("M40A1Zoom", 1, "ZoomMore")" from the altfire state. If you feel like being tidy, remove the ZoomMore state as well.
Once you're done, change the 2 in "SNPS A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("M40A1Zoom", 2, "ZoomOut")" to 1.
Thanks!
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but occasionally the addon will cause the game to crash when I shoot a gun when loading this addon with the base ROW (I also patched that as well).
Spoiler:
Besides that, though, the addon itself makes the game a bit more merciful, although some parts can still feel a little bullshit (such as the first stage of Soviet Act I (which is the only map I've played for now, so there might be more of these BS encounters that were in the base ROW to begin with) where for some reason, if you hang back and kill the three guys in one of the first buildings the player encounters in the base before crossing the linedef or whatever it's called, it spawns three unkillable US soldiers). One little nitpick I have, and this is a very minor one, is the lack of a +1 in the chamber mechanic. After playing many Doom mods that have that little touch of realism, this one lacking that touch threw me off for a bit before I found the groove again.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I was honestly actually expecting the +1 in the chamber as well lol. The weapons are really well done so it'd go hand in hand. As for the bullets coming out too low thing, I feel like I saw that happening with another mod once that was then fixed, so I'll keep an eye out for the fix.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

The errors are just because I'm using the same idnums so the maps'll drop ROWAn's stuff instead of ROW's. Not sure what's happening with the crash, unfortunately not one I can fix without hands on experience, it doesn't do that on my end.

I didn't add the plus 1 thing 'cause it'd be the same as the whole mag dropping thing. I'd have to add a second state to all weapons to have both empty and tactical reloads, research which weapons wouldn't have the +1 because of open bolt systems like the Uzi, cobble up new actors for dropped empty magazines while keeping the retaining states not drop any, a rabbit hole to lot of work for purely detail reasons. I'm not going to be able to do just one. Found it easier to keep it simple instead of going through all the faffing about.
WojtTheDoomer2K

EnriksD8 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 am I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but occasionally the addon will cause the game to crash when I shoot a gun when loading this addon with the base ROW (I also patched that as well).
Spoiler:
Besides that, though, the addon itself makes the game a bit more merciful, although some parts can still feel a little bullshit (such as the first stage of Soviet Act I (which is the only map I've played for now, so there might be more of these BS encounters that were in the base ROW to begin with) where for some reason, if you hang back and kill the three guys in one of the first buildings the player encounters in the base before crossing the linedef or whatever it's called, it spawns three unkillable US soldiers). One little nitpick I have, and this is a very minor one, is the lack of a +1 in the chamber mechanic. After playing many Doom mods that have that little touch of realism, this one lacking that touch threw me off for a bit before I found the groove again.

I got great news. I am currently working on a official 2.0 patch to the game, and it fixes a lot of these encounters by making the enemies have longer flinch/pain frames, the base ROW weapons being improved upon (they were waaay too slow and dealt waaay too little damage, especially the assault rifles).

Here's a little demonstration on the fixed "three soldiers" encounter:
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

This mod is the absolute sh*t!!! I so much love this!!
Thanks so much for doing this one. And it's so well optimized, it even runs with relighting.pk3 on android. I'm blown away.

I was wondering.. how do I get the DLC to run? When loading it up, there are only the 6 main campaigns showing up
WojtTheDoomer2K

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:42 pm This mod is the absolute sh*t!!! I so much love this!!
Thanks so much for doing this one. And it's so well optimized, it even runs with relighting.pk3 on android. I'm blown away.

I was wondering.. how do I get the DLC to run? When loading it up, there are only the 6 main campaigns showing up
DLC? Also, I am glad that you're able to enjoy my mod with this add-on; I am sorry it wasn't good enough on it's own, but that's what happens when you do what I did.

I must admit most of the issues with Reds Over World would be fixed if not for me wanting to rush it's release. Originally I planned on giving ROW to 5 beta-testers, and make a Discord server where they would all play the game, and gimme info on all the bugs, irritating sections, mistakes, suggestions etc. but I chickened out, and thought that me beta-testing it by myself would suffice. It didn't. So what I sent to people was basically a rushed product, hence all the bugs, lack of balance, and many of the other bad aspects of it.

I am now working very hard on the 2.0 version, and so far it's so much better; all of the suggestions and bug notices really helped me improve my game; it's so much better to play it with all the things changed in it. Hopefully it will be worth the wait once I finish it, and more people will be able to enjoy it.
PresBarackbar

Post by PresBarackbar »

WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:44 pm I am sorry it wasn't good enough on it's own, but that's what happens when you do what I did.
I just have to say, though I played the mod with this addon, the underlying design of it is actually great. The story is so much fun and you made some really awesome set pieces. I have some gripes with the level design in a few places but overall I think its really solid and super fun.
WojtTheDoomer2K

PresBarackbar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 pm
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:44 pm I am sorry it wasn't good enough on it's own, but that's what happens when you do what I did.
I just have to say, though I played the mod with this addon, the underlying design of it is actually great. The story is so much fun and you made some really awesome set pieces. I have some gripes with the level design in a few places but overall I think its really solid and super fun.
Hmm, what exactly are the level design problems? I can fix them in 2.0.
PresBarackbar

Post by PresBarackbar »

WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 am Hmm, what exactly are the level design problems? I can fix them in 2.0.
I didn't take any notes while I was playing, but there are some times where its not super clear where exactly you are supposed to go next, especially if the solution to that is to shoot a fire extinguisher. Additionally, in the Allied level where you attack Moscow, I wandered around for a good bit without one of the keys because the way to advance the level is to walk in front of a closed door that opens and releases dogs when you walk by it, something that doesn't really happen in any other level. Having played Blade of Agony recently, I really liked how they visually coded each door so you knew exactly which ones open and which don't. You did a pretty good job marking doors that needed specific keys which was appreciated!

One last thing, I don't know how easy it would be, but you should run all of the dialog from your intro/mission end/campaign end/radio chatter by an editor to fix the few grammatical errors that are there. There aren't a lot of them, but some do stick out (heck if it was just reading over text I'd be happy to do it for you). Also as I was typing I remembered the American super soldier boss having a weird non-American sounding voice.
WojtTheDoomer2K

PresBarackbar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 am
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 am Hmm, what exactly are the level design problems? I can fix them in 2.0.
I didn't take any notes while I was playing, but there are some times where its not super clear where exactly you are supposed to go next, especially if the solution to that is to shoot a fire extinguisher. Additionally, in the Allied level where you attack Moscow, I wandered around for a good bit without one of the keys because the way to advance the level is to walk in front of a closed door that opens and releases dogs when you walk by it, something that doesn't really happen in any other level. Having played Blade of Agony recently, I really liked how they visually coded each door so you knew exactly which ones open and which don't. You did a pretty good job marking doors that needed specific keys which was appreciated!

One last thing, I don't know how easy it would be, but you should run all of the dialog from your intro/mission end/campaign end/radio chatter by an editor to fix the few grammatical errors that are there. There aren't a lot of them, but some do stick out (heck if it was just reading over text I'd be happy to do it for you). Also as I was typing I remembered the American super soldier boss having a weird non-American sounding voice.
Ah, I already fixed the fire extinguishers, and added some more clues in 2.0. Hope that makes you and other people that had issues with that as well happy. As for the American Supersoldier voice, that was me, I dub many bosses (namely Russian Supersoldier, American Supersoldier, Jizzy, Putin, Juan & Walter, Surov, the Kaputski Brothers, and Katynov and maybe some others I forgot). As a little sidenote, that Russian Supersoldier hurt sound (the loud "WAH") that was removed in ROWAn was actually a sound of me screaming from one of my first ever released wads, a Terrywad named jupiterbase.wad. I added it there as an homage, because Aquarius199's Terrywad review videos and me wanting to make my own Terrywads were how I got into DOOM modding. The same thing applies to the aLso-removed sounds of Hannibal The Cook, his loud screams are a reference to a in-joke between me and my friends, where we would have videos of the Polish YouTuber Hannibal is based on with audio replaced by these screams. I knew that plenty of my friends will be playing the mod, hence why Hannibal had these loud sounds as a homage to that joke.

As for more obvious clues where to go, I am debating with myself to possibly include textures with coloured arrows, kinda like these:
https://worldcupsupply.com/wp-content/u ... -signs.jpg
They would be in various colours for all the three keycards (The regular keys being intended to have the additional challenge of being unmarked except on the map), and they wouldn't look too out-of-place in industrial and military settings.

One interesting idea I also had was disguising where-to-find-keys clues in seemingly innocuous posters, such as a American poster saying "Go left, Go Red" with a photo of McCarthy pointing to a room where the player finds the Red Keycard, or a Soviet poster for some blueberry-scented perfume with the model woman on it pointing with a finger to where the Blue Keycard is. Just an idea.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

It would be a good idea to do for doors that are visible through cameras, adding something to make them look distinct that players can recall better where the aforementioned unlocked doors were after the player uses the switch. A poster next to them, a distinct statue, something that's easily recognizable on a low resolution screen.

On that note, would probably be a good idea to move the cameras to areas that the players have previously been before instead of ones that they haven't. Recalled one camera in E6M1 that was pointing at a corridor that the player hasn't seen before, which kinda defeats the purpose of the cameras if they're meant to tell the player where to go next.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”