FlexiHUD - a universal, extremely flexible HUD mod (3.0.0 released)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Anim8

Re: FlexiHUD - a universal, extremely flexible HUD mod (2.1.0 released)

Post by Anim8 »

Works together now.

I noticed you changed the reticleHitMarker, from Simple Triangle to Diagonal bars.
I quite liked the Simple Triangle reticleHitMarkers you had in v2.1.

Maybe include an option to choose the reticleHitMarker shape?

Thanks
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Anim8 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:43 pm Maybe include an option to choose the reticleHitMarker shape?
Yes, I think I could add a few options for the shapes.

UPD: Pushed a commit that adds several options. The one used in 2.0.0 is called "4 angled triangles".
DeckardDetribine

Post by DeckardDetribine »

Question: After 3.0.0 releases, will we still be able to use FlexiHUD to completely replace a given gameplay mod's HUD if desired?
Jekyll Grim Payne

DeckardDetribine wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:00 am Question: After 3.0.0 releases, will we still be able to use FlexiHUD to completely replace a given gameplay mod's HUD if desired?
Not literally, as in, the original HUD will still be there, but you can simply hide it as usual (by pressing the = key twice or typing screenblocks 12 in the console), and then only FlexiHUD will be visible instead.

The existing HUD system doesn't allow for any flexibility. There's no way to add multiple HUDs and let the user switch between them, and there's no way for me to let the user choose whether FlexiHUD replaces the base HUD or is drawn on top. However, by simply hiding the base HUD you'll get the same functionality. FlexiHUD will also respect stuff like cutscenes (it won't render if your camera changes to something other than your player actor).
Anim8

Post by Anim8 »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:59 am
Anim8 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:43 pm Maybe include an option to choose the reticleHitMarker shape?
Yes, I think I could add a few options for the shapes.

UPD: Pushed a commit that adds several options. The one used in 2.0.0 is called "4 angled triangles".
Thanks for that,

Crash report: (Was using GZDoom g4.11.3)

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero
Called from JGPUFH_FlexibleHUD.DrawEnemyHitMarker at UniveralFlexibleHUD-main.zip:ufhzscript/ufh_evhud.zs, line 1803
Called from JGPUFH_FlexibleHUD.RenderOverlay at UniversalFlexibleHUD-main.zip:ufhzscript/ufh_evhud.zs, line 433

Seem to trigger this error when changing the "Hit markers shape" in the "Crosshair options" to either Disk, Diamond or Square.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Anim8 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:58 pm Thanks for that,

Crash report: (Was using GZDoom g4.11.3)

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero
Called from JGPUFH_FlexibleHUD.DrawEnemyHitMarker at UniveralFlexibleHUD-main.zip:ufhzscript/ufh_evhud.zs, line 1803
Called from JGPUFH_FlexibleHUD.RenderOverlay at UniversalFlexibleHUD-main.zip:ufhzscript/ufh_evhud.zs, line 433

Seem to trigger this error when changing the "Hit markers shape" in the "Crosshair options" to either Disk, Diamond or Square.
Did you start the game with the minimap disabled, per chance? That might be the reason, since the same Shape2D objects are used for minimap and for the disk/square/diamond hitmarkers. I'll work on fixing that.

UPD: Should be fixed now.
Anim8

Post by Anim8 »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:54 am
Did you start the game with the minimap disabled, per chance? That might be the reason, since the same Shape2D objects are used for minimap and for the disk/square/diamond hitmarkers. I'll work on fixing that.

UPD: Should be fixed now.
Yes I did have the minimap disabled.

The hit marker shapes are all working now with the recent commit/s.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Happy to let you know that FlexiHUD 3.0.0 is finally released! DOWNLOAD

v3.0.0 patchnotes

Core functionality
FlexiHUD is no longer a statusbar class, but is drawn with an event handler. This means that it's not a replacement for other HUDs but is instead drawn on top of them. This allows the following:
  • You can now choose to use only specific elements of FlexiHUD (such as the minimap or the weapon slots) and combine them with the existing HUD from the game/mod you're playing.
  • FlexiHUD itself can be completely hidden from the FlexiHUD options menu, or with a dedicated key bind (can be set in the options menu).
  • The looks haven't changed: FlexiHUD is still drawn at the virtual resolution of 320x200 and scaled the same way as the basic HUD (in accordance with the User Interface/HUD scaling settings).
If you only want to see FlexiHUD, you can still hide the native HUD from the game/mod you're playing by pressing the = key twice or setting `screenblocks 12` in the console.

General
  • The mod now features a USER PRESETS system by @RicardoLuis0. This system allows user to save their current HUD settings into a preset with a specific name. Now you will be able to easily switch between your favorite HUD compositions instead of having to set up everything the way you want every time! This mod also comes with a small list of built-in presets.
  • Added "preview mode" for certain HUD elements. How it works: if you open FlexiHUD options menu, the elements that are currently not visible in the game (such as powerup timers whille you don't have any active powerups, or the keys block while you don't have any keys) will be displayed as pulsing grey previews that represent the placement and size of those elements. This will let the players easily adjust the look of all HUD elements without having to meet the conditions to make those elements visible first.
  • FlexiHUD will now be fully hidden while the automap is open. This is done mostly because 1) if you run it with a vanilla HUD (like the standard Doom/Heretic/Hexen HUD), that HUD will unconditionally draw its statusbar version when the automap is open, and you don't want to see two HUDs at the same time; 2) I generally feel like you won't need most of the HUD with the automap open anyway.
  • Animated HUD elements (such as the scrolling inventory bar, the bars around the crosshair, etc.) are now updated smoothly in accordance with your framerate, rather than once per tic.
Putting block-specific patchnotes under a spoiler, since there's quite a lot:
Spoiler:
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: FlexiHUD - a universal, extremely flexible HUD mod (3.0.0 released)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I think the weapon slots aren't working again, at least for me. I turned the option on/off, I moved the horizontal and vertical offsets to see if it was just offscreen, etc and never saw anything. Maybe its due to me using a dev build of GZDoom?
Jekyll Grim Payne

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 pm I think the weapon slots aren't working again, at least for me. I turned the option on/off, I moved the horizontal and vertical offsets to see if it was just offscreen, etc and never saw anything. Maybe its due to me using a dev build of GZDoom?
I tried gzdoom-x64-g4.12pre-373-gc8a7507e8 and cannot reproduce this, so I'm not sure. Maybe you have it at auto-hide? Try resetting settings to the default.

BTW, it's not possible to move an element out of the screen with offsets; they're set up in such a way that negative offsets just don't do anything if an element is at the screen edges, and positive offsets always move it towards the screen center.
mamaluigisbagel

Oddly the weapon slots showed up fine when used with a different config file, so it has to be something I changed. I'll look through my settings and see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: Its showing up now on the config file I was having problems with, so maybe I did have it set to auto hide. I could've sworn I tried the always on setting...
mamaluigisbagel

So after messing around a bit more, I noticed upon STARTING a game, sometimes a few HUD elements won't appear like the weapon slots and powerup timer. BUT upon finishing a level and advancing to the next, they reappear. I don't know if this is because of this mod or the gameplay mod used conflicting in some way. (NeoCore)
Jekyll Grim Payne

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:15 pm So after messing around a bit more, I noticed upon STARTING a game, sometimes a few HUD elements won't appear like the weapon slots and powerup timer. BUT upon finishing a level and advancing to the next, they reappear. I don't know if this is because of this mod or the gameplay mod used conflicting in some way. (NeoCore)
Okay, I was indeed able to reproduce this for weapon slots, and this is apparently the result of the slots being specified via KEYCONF, which is a very outdated method. However, I found a simple workaround, by staggering the parsing of weapon slots by 2 game tics. I just pushed a commit to the repository with that fix.

I can't reproduce this with powerups so far. I ran the mod you linked with FlexiHUD on Kinsie's test map, and the icons for active powerups appear properly for me:

mamaluigisbagel

Well I finally downloaded that test map (which I should've done years ago) and the powerups are working fine, so maybe I was wrong about that as I was going off of the preview, which wasn't appearing for me. Thanks for the fix for the slots, though!
Jekyll Grim Payne

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:11 pm Well I finally downloaded that test map (which I should've done years ago) and the powerups are working fine, so maybe I was wrong about that as I was going off of the preview, which wasn't appearing for me. Thanks for the fix for the slots, though!
There is a possible case where this may happen (when you receive a powerup without a PowerupGiver for it being present on the map). I've just pushed another commit that reworks how icons are assigned to those powerups that don't have an explicitly defined icon, and this will hopefully cover that edge case. (I was doing it inefficiently anyway.)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”