Venturous 1.5 Release

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coolmc2222

Re: Venturous Release

Post by Coolmc2222 »

Great Mod! my only question is, is there a way to play standard doom 2 mapsets with this mod? since currently any attempt will not give the ammo or guns, if its too complicated code wise id love to see a dedicated weaponset version of this mod!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Yes. Venturous does not come with randomreplacers for vanilla actors, but it's possible to cobble up some. It's not super complicated to load, but it is rather fiddly. Gotta load the mod first, then the wirejammers depending on what you want loaded, then the mapset you wanna run with.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/awbjmjas ... rs.7z/file

Though, because Venturous kinda relies on big maps, using the monsters wirejammer isn't recommended unless you're loading equally large maps that won't end up having the monsters stuck.

artistPanda5
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by artistPanda5 »

So, I just finished playing through this mod, and I really enjoyed it! It was fun to play, and I really liked the art style as well! I kinda wish there was a little bit more to the story, but I'm aware that it wasn't the main point of the mod, and I still like the mod overall.
PixelFox

Post by PixelFox »

Coolmc2222 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:53 pm Great Mod! my only question is, is there a way to play standard doom 2 mapsets with this mod? since currently any attempt will not give the ammo or guns, if its too complicated code wise id love to see a dedicated weaponset version of this mod!
I haven't tried Zikshadow's method (not sure I even understand it), but I think that's currently the only way to do it. I can easily make a weaponset that simply replaces the base Doom weapons, but Doom has only 7 weapons to work with, and only 4 ammotypes. No mapsets are going to be populated with pickups that can be used for the rest. So no MP40, K98, dynamite, torch, Jezail etc. And the revolver will have to share ammo with the MG42 (pistol/chaingun). Maybe someone can advise whether there's a method of allowing for the rest that I'm unaware of?
I'd also prefer not to see my weapon sprites being distributed in other mods before I'm even done with this, and I suspect a standalone weaponset is going to make that too easy. But I might decide to release a weaponset for reuse when I'm finished.
artistPanda5 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:58 pm So, I just finished playing through this mod, and I really enjoyed it! It was fun to play, and I really liked the art style as well! I kinda wish there was a little bit more to the story, but I'm aware that it wasn't the main point of the mod, and I still like the mod overall.
Glad you enjoyed it : ) I've had enough comments about the story that I'm reworking and expanding it a bit with the new levels.
HollowedRat93

Post by HollowedRat93 »

This was loads of fun, best thing I have played all year and it's currently December. Very clear that tons of work was put into this. Love that some enemies retain their Doom monster counterparts sound effects so you as the player have an idea of how to engage them. Sound design is immersive. Each level really had its own character, just complex enough to intrigue but not enough to get lost. Wonderful work and I hope to see you in credits for future projects.
Last edited by HollowedRat93 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coolmc2222

Post by Coolmc2222 »

ZikShadow wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:40 pm Yes. Venturous does not come with randomreplacers for vanilla actors, but it's possible to cobble up some. It's not super complicated to load, but it is rather fiddly. Gotta load the mod first, then the wirejammers depending on what you want loaded, then the mapset you wanna run with.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/awbjmjas ... rs.7z/file

Though, because Venturous kinda relies on big maps, using the monsters wirejammer isn't recommended unless you're loading equally large maps that won't end up having the monsters stuck.

OMG THIS WORKS!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Master O

Post by Master O »

PixelFox wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:37 am

A The Mummy/Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider -inspired partial conversion for Doom2.
I'm releasing it as-is for now. There's 7 completed maps, and I'm hoping to add some more in future, but no idea when that will be...
Venturous ended up on https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2023/23for23/.
PixelFox

Post by PixelFox »

Master O wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:36 am Venturous ended up on https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2023/23for23/.
I saw! I'm pretty pleased with that.
Doughnut1321
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Doughnut1321 »

I found the second map in the museum dropped my FPS to unplayability in parts. Is it possible the rendering of the reflective textures your using are taxing my old Graphics card to the limit?
PixelFox

Post by PixelFox »

Doughnut1321 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:12 pm I found the second map in the museum dropped my FPS to unplayability in parts. Is it possible the rendering of the reflective textures your using are taxing my old Graphics card to the limit?
Most likely the reflections. I'll reduce the amount I'm using in the next update. For now, paste "gl_plane_reflection 0" in the console to force reflections off.
Doughnut1321

Post by Doughnut1321 »

I am playing your game again, and I have to say this has to be my favorite TC so far. It's definitely my cup of shia.
PixelFox

Post by PixelFox »

Venturous has been updated to v1.5

I added a new episode, as well as one new map to each existing episode, for a total of 6 new maps. There's also 3 new weapons and some new enemies, with tweaks to the old ones.
Other changes include tweaking balance, tweaking existing maps in areas where I saw people getting lost, moving secrets that were much easier to find than intended, replacing some textures, replacing more of the stock sounds and sprites, etc. I also changed the story a bit in the process, and made the final boss a bit more tricksy.

I've also made sure it now properly supports the Gearbox weaponwheel by m8f.

Thanks to everyone who's been posting their playthroughs. I watched pretty much all of them (sometimes with Youtube's auto-translate) and made notes on problematic areas, things that people liked and didn't like, and tried to address as much as possible.
Ferretmanjcdenton

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Hey there . Made a short video!

https://youtu.be/1PY90if6Jrc
EvilSoran
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Venturous 1.5 Release

Post by EvilSoran »

What a great mod !
Weapons, maps and the music are wonderfull.

I do have a question to Author, what is the name (or where does it comes from) "francisc.mp3" it sound so familiar to me but can't pinpoint where did i heard it already and it's making a hole in my head :) can you please tell me ?
PixelFox

Re: Venturous 1.5 Release

Post by PixelFox »

EvilSoran wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am What a great mod !
Weapons, maps and the music are wonderfull.

I do have a question to Author, what is the name (or where does it comes from) "francisc.mp3" it sound so familiar to me but can't pinpoint where did i heard it already and it's making a hole in my head :) can you please tell me ?

I'm away from my pc for a few days so can't check, but it's stock music from Pixabay. Something like Epic Battle by Francisco somebody. The pk3 has credits and readme txts inside containing all the credits for the music, you'll be able to find it in there.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”