REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AlphaBetaGamer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

Post by AlphaBetaGamer »

This mod is amazing! The only big issue I have with it is that there doesn't seem to be any way to manually reload. It's mapped to R in the options menu but pressing it doesn't seem to do anything. Unless I'm missing something?

Also it would be nice to have an options to reduce the view bobbing and center the weapons on the right hand side. They're not big issues though, just a suggestion. The mod really is phenomenal. I'm looking forward to having a full crack at it tomorrow. :)
WojtTheDoomer2K

Re: REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

Post by WojtTheDoomer2K »

I must admit I feel rather embarassed. Well, I did expect bugs, seeing as it was my first ever mod in a PK3 format, but I hoped to avoid them seeing as I made sure to play-test the entire thing, and everything worked on my end. Im not sure what has to do with it, maybe different GZDoom versions?

For example, the GZDoom crashing after killing enemies... I got no clue how that happened.
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Don't get me wrong it's really impressive for a first mod.

EDIT: One last thing would it be possible to have a quick throw grenades with is too?
Last edited by armymen12002003 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
WojtTheDoomer2K

armymen12002003 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:35 am Don't get me wrong it's really impressive for a first mod.
Heh, it's not my first mod. It's my first mod of this size.

My first batch of mods were Terrywads (yeah, I started out as a Terrywad maker back in 2014), then I had several wad ideas, until releasing MOTI in 2017. MOTI was a rather...small wad. It seemed big to me at the time, but in reality, it was rather small, only 10 or so short-medium maps, not to mention with ducttape-held together coding and ACS scripts.

Then I decided to do this mod; it's a HUGE endeavor, 30 maps, ACS and scripts that are more complex than anything i've done before, bigger maps, etc. This is my first mod of THIS size, so it's natural there might be some slips up.

Not gonna lie, I feel a bit ashamed for these bugs happening, but I think I might have the solution. I think the issues people might be having have to do with different GZDoom versions reacting to the mod differently than mine, I used GZDoom 1.8.2.0 if that helps anyone.
armymen12002003

Yea it did work fine after I rebooted GZDoom though.
WojtTheDoomer2K

armymen12002003 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 am Yea it did work fine after I rebooted GZDoom though.
That's great!
WojtTheDoomer2K

armymen12002003 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:35 am Don't get me wrong it's really impressive for a first mod.

EDIT: One last thing would it be possible to have a quick throw grenades with is too?

Sorry for double reply, but only now I noticed the grenades thing. I had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while, with three types of grenades to use (Standard ones, Flashbang ones that'd temporarily immobilize enemies, and Smoke ones that'd give the player temporary invisibility to the enemies as long as he stood in the smoke), but I didn't want to rip off BOA, plus I didn't want to overcumber the player with too much activatable equipment.
armymen12002003

I see what you mean man.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Hi! Congratulations on the release, I've only played the first level so far but am eager to play more. However, there is one thing I wanted to report.

You say in the accompanying .txt file that you recommend playing with pitch shifting off, because it would get in the way of some of the audio tracks. This is understandable, but you can actually manually disable pitch shifting for specific audio files in SNDINFO. For example:
$pitchshift intermission/tick 0
$pitchshift intermission/nextstage 0
This disables the pitch shifting for the intermission screen sounds. You can just put in the names of the audio tracks that would sound bad via pitch shifting in there, and that would ensure they don't get the effect while normal sound effects would, allowing people who normally play with pitch shifting on like myself to play the mod as intended. I would also recommend applying this effect to alarm sounds as those also tend to sound pretty bad with pitch shifting when they loop.

Cheers!
WojtTheDoomer2K

I just got information that one of the maps, E2M3 is unbeatable because I set a different key to one of the doors by an accident and never noticed it; in the sewers there is a wooden door that requires a "Yellow Key Card". It was intended to require a Silver Key instead.

Feel free to give yourself the yellow keycard via code (give yellowcarda) until I get started working on a v.0.1 version that fixes all the bugs people reported so far.

Sorry for inconvience.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks for the information. I also heartily recommend applying a better reload mechanic as laid out earlier in the thread :)
WojtTheDoomer2K

Dynamo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:08 pm Thanks for the information. I also heartily recommend applying a better reload mechanic as laid out earlier in the thread :)

I might need someone to help me out with this tbh; ever since I started programming in DOOM, I was unable to program such a thing.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:10 pm
Dynamo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:08 pm Thanks for the information. I also heartily recommend applying a better reload mechanic as laid out earlier in the thread :)

I might need someone to help me out with this tbh; ever since I started programming in DOOM, I was unable to program such a thing.
Are there no weapons on Realm667 that use reloading with DECORATE? I feel like using that code as a base would be the easiest way to implement it.
Tyrannotitan Fan

Post by Tyrannotitan Fan »

I remember that when I asked him about the lack of the tactical reloads, he replied:
"a co do przeładowywania broni, to niestety, nie byłem w stanie tego zaprogramować, a nie chciałem kopiować kodu z czegoś, żeby nie było" ("and about reloading weapons, unfortunately I wasn't able to program that and I didn't wanted to copy from something"); Which is funny because he was already accused of making a cheap asset kitbash xd
WojtTheDoomer2K

Good news to everyone that wants to see manual reloading - starting february, im gonna start working on the patch, and it might include manual reloading!

I just had an eureka moment about how it could be possibly implemented, a simple script done using A_GiveInventory and A_JumpIfInventory commands, similar to the one the Dragunow SWD uses for the scoping mechanism.

Not guaranteeing it'll work out, but it's a starting point.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”