BountySlayer v. 1.2.0

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
stainedofmind

Re: BountySlayer v. 1.1.1

Post by stainedofmind »

Gave this a whirl cause it sounded interesting, and it's pretty fun and definitely a neat idea! I would have to say my least favorite thing is the weapon recoil. I personally hate recoil and turn it off if given a chance. Not only does it make weapons like the chaingun feel useless, but it also starts to bother my eyes pretty quickly.

As for making this universal, it's 100% doable. I have the coding for almost all of it spread across half a dozen of the mods I've written. It would just need a bit of stitching together and writing a bit of code to handle organizing the weapons and items into shop categories and tiers. There would definitely have to be some kind of customizable system for more complex gameplay/weapon mods, but nothing a special lump parser couldn't handle.

Overall, well done!
SMG54321

Post by SMG54321 »

i really love this mod. the story you have going along with it is a really nice addon as well! the weapons and the upgraded variants you can get for them are really nice (the SMG and pump SSG are my favorites but the thundergun is a close third!). my only gripe is that the recoil is a bit too violent for me (makes the chaingun and super chaingun not worth using IMO!), but thats genuinly it.

i am interested in where this mod goes, maybe do keep the class you made for the mod as its own separate class when you are able to make it vanilla compatible, that way everyone can see what the mod was like originally (that and i think some of these weapons, like the energy ones, are something more people should play around with!)
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

i wanna ask: will there be weapon/monster mod compatibility?
Sgt Major Kiwi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

YukesVonFaust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am i wanna ask: will there be weapon/monster mod compatibility?
monster mod compat is already a thing, weapon mod compat is in the works.
stainedofmind wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm As for making this universal, it's 100% doable. I have the coding for almost all of it spread across half a dozen of the mods I've written. It would just need a bit of stitching together and writing a bit of code to handle organizing the weapons and items into shop categories and tiers. There would definitely have to be some kind of customizable system for more complex gameplay/weapon mods, but nothing a special lump parser couldn't handle.
none of what you stated was the hard part lol. the hard part was separating all player logic into a thinker and then giving the hud and acs scripts the ability to still interact with it in the ways it needs to. that's done though right now I'm just finishing up the brand new terminal hud, insane upgrade compared to the console messages imo.
SMG54321 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm i really love this mod. the story you have going along with it is a really nice addon as well! the weapons and the upgraded variants you can get for them are really nice (the SMG and pump SSG are my favorites but the thundergun is a close third!). my only gripe is that the recoil is a bit too violent for me (makes the chaingun and super chaingun not worth using IMO!), but thats genuinly it.

i am interested in where this mod goes, maybe do keep the class you made for the mod as its own separate class when you are able to make it vanilla compatible, that way everyone can see what the mod was like originally (that and i think some of these weapons, like the energy ones, are something more people should play around with!)
I strongly appreciate that the three best weapons in the game are getting their time to shine, all three of those absolutely rock lmfao. the story I had a lot of fun writing and it may be obvious to anyone who's played it but a lot of the icon's character was inspired by the dark lord from soda dungeon 2. as for the recoil... yeeaaaa expect to see either a toggle or slider for that in the settings next update. as much as I didn't want to (many of the weapons are balanced around their recoil) it seems to be far too requested.

coming soon: cvars & settings, rebalances, a terminal GUI, and a version that's compatible with weapon mods. actually the last one may take a bit longer I still don't know how I want to do that.
Sgt Major Kiwi

Re: BountySlayer v. 1.2.0

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

Spoiler: big image
oh yeah it's that time
does this look completely horrendous...? anyway doesn't matter this is going up now. the shop is still the same but all of this is better than before
SMG54321

Post by SMG54321 »

Sgt Major Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:05 pm
YukesVonFaust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am i wanna ask: will there be weapon/monster mod compatibility?
monster mod compat is already a thing, weapon mod compat is in the works.
stainedofmind wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm As for making this universal, it's 100% doable. I have the coding for almost all of it spread across half a dozen of the mods I've written. It would just need a bit of stitching together and writing a bit of code to handle organizing the weapons and items into shop categories and tiers. There would definitely have to be some kind of customizable system for more complex gameplay/weapon mods, but nothing a special lump parser couldn't handle.
none of what you stated was the hard part lol. the hard part was separating all player logic into a thinker and then giving the hud and acs scripts the ability to still interact with it in the ways it needs to. that's done though right now I'm just finishing up the brand new terminal hud, insane upgrade compared to the console messages imo.
SMG54321 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm i really love this mod. the story you have going along with it is a really nice addon as well! the weapons and the upgraded variants you can get for them are really nice (the SMG and pump SSG are my favorites but the thundergun is a close third!). my only gripe is that the recoil is a bit too violent for me (makes the chaingun and super chaingun not worth using IMO!), but thats genuinly it.

I strongly appreciate that the three best weapons in the game are getting their time to shine, all three of those absolutely rock lmfao. the story I had a lot of fun writing and it may be obvious to anyone who's played it but a lot of the icon's character was inspired by the dark lord from soda dungeon 2. as for the recoil... yeeaaaa expect to see either a toggle or slider for that in the settings next update. as much as I didn't want to (many of the weapons are balanced around their recoil) it seems to be far too requested.

coming soon: cvars & settings, rebalances, a terminal GUI, and a version that's compatible with weapon mods. actually the last one may take a bit longer I still don't know how I want to do that.
Been a while since i last played soda dungeon 2 but the dark lord is a fav character of mine, i also like the UAC guy trying to sue you for existing instead of actually dealing with the demons.

i am sorry that i am adding to the pile of "nerf recoil plz" requests, i honestly think that the recoil is the only thing preventing these weapons from being insanely strong IMO now that i have played with the mod again (beaten base doom 2 with it and i honestly think its on par with AC!d's Eriguns in terms of power! hitscan BFG is a terrifying concept!), though recoil was partially the reason i gravitated to the SMG once i got the pump SSG. recoil for most guns is fine however, even the semi shotgun was a good but mildly unwieldy weapon, and the auto shotgun sounds fun if you can keep the mouse down (which the same can be said for the chaingun and super chaingun, but i also felt like the SMG was just as good as both of them on all fronts). a recoil slider sounds like a good fix, maybe keep one end the original recoil and the other zero recoil.

the new hud you made for the computer looks great, kinda reminds me of lithium's shop hud! might run through tnt evilution with this mod and see how it is with that.

sorry if i sounded mean, i love this mod and its honestly one of my favorites ever!
Sgt Major Kiwi

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

welp in case anyone missed it if you scroll to the bottom of the settings menu you'll find Bountyslayer settings, including a payout factor, recoil factor, and a slider for how many starting credits you get from jenna. I was gonna add one to make the text on the terminal more readable by making it white but I forgot

I will add that a payout factor of 1 is best suited toward the killcounts of something like freedoom, feel free to bump it up if you're playing vanilla id doom or something like scythe which is why I chose to add that to begin with. I believe you can change it mid game if a wad has a weird curve.
SMG54321

Post by SMG54321 »

i made a on the ground sprite for the SMG that i hacked out of the pump SSG and the doom alpha's SMG, based off the sprites for when you actually use it. Just designed to show up in the shop instead of the pistol again since the SMG looks wise is much more different from both the pistol and the hand cannon.
Attachments
bounty slayer SMG.png
bounty slayer SMG.png (500 Bytes) Viewed 168 times
Sgt Major Kiwi

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

SMG54321 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:18 pm i made a on the ground sprite for the SMG that i hacked out of the pump SSG and the doom alpha's SMG, based off the sprites for when you actually use it. Just designed to show up in the shop instead of the pistol again since the SMG looks wise is much more different from both the pistol and the hand cannon.
oh sick I actually might put this in next update (which may be a bit from now since I don't wanna burnout again v.v) which hopefully will all be inside the terminal.
no promises that I can get it compatible with vanilla weapons right away though cos that sounds super daunting and I have no clue how lump parsing works in the slightest but hopefully jare knows something about it or the wiki actually has it documented cos with complex mods it's super hard to ask for help in a public discord server lmao
Otak

Post by Otak »

hi! the mouse remain reversed in the console - I play with inverted mouse settings - can you fix this to a normal mouse behavior ?
... you change the normal weapon behaviour of the weapons from auto shoot to manual shoot, can you add an option to select this or leave untouch the doom weapons behaviour? thx.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”