[DeusDoom: Weapons] adding Deus Ex weapons to Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Keldian

Re: [DeusDoom: Weapons] adding Deus Ex weapons to Doom

Post by Keldian »

The idea is good, but its implementation...
Mod as a whole at the moment very poorly optimized. Even at not very large levels with the number of monsters around 150 game starts to lag.
Starter weapons are almost useless even at early levels. Gun sight is very long reducible, the monster has time to move to another place and you have to start all over again. If you just shoot, then 90% of bullets (or even more) fly past the target.
Imps, pushing everything around them, easily pin the player into a corner (or at least against a wall), so that he has no opportunity to move. They take a very long time to kill with a knife (and that's if he gets close enough to you - you physically can't do it yourself), and long-range weapons are extremely inaccurate, as I wrote before.
cyber_cool
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cyber_cool »

Keldian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am The idea is good, but its implementation...
Mod as a whole at the moment very poorly optimized. Even at not very large levels with the number of monsters around 150 game starts to lag.
No idea about the performance issues, it totally doesn't have to do with monster count. Maybe it's the augmentations mod, but I never seen it happen with it, too. If you were to provide a mod list, that would be nice.
Keldian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am Starter weapons are almost useless even at early levels. Gun sight is very long reducible, the monster has time to move to another place and you have to start all over again.
If you track the same target with your crosshair, you will eventually max out your accuracy, which is more or less precise for medium range. Or you can can up close to monsters.
Not to mention that pistol one-shots shotgunners and two-shots imps at untrained skill level.
Keldian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am They take a very long time to kill with a knife (and that's if he gets close enough to you - you physically can't do it yourself)
Knife deals 20 damage, so it takes 3 hits to kill an imp, and it has a reach 1.5 times of vanilla fist/chainsaw. I am not sure, maybe you are playing with a monster mod? I mostly balanced it around vanilla monsters. If you are fighting 150+ hp imps that have no delay between attacks or something, then of course it's hard to get close to them.
Keldian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am and long-range weapons are extremely inaccurate
Sniper rifle scope sway may need some tuning, I agree (saw that on Zik's video, it was very helpful footage). But it all comes down to skill level - weapons are meant to be hard to use without investing into their skill. Most of them are still usable at short range, though.

EDIT: Did some testing, Weapons mod alone seems to be running fine on a 900 monsters map, Augmentations doesn't, but it's still very playable on a 150 monsters map.
OverDriver05
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by OverDriver05 »

Have you tried playing this and the DeusDoom Augmentation mod on Delta Touch?

I can't switch weapons, nor do i navigate through weapon/skill/augment screen!

Do you have any fix on these?
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

OverDriver05 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:51 am Have you tried playing this and the DeusDoom Augmentation mod on Delta Touch?

I can't switch weapons, nor do i navigate through weapon/skill/augment screen!

Do you have any fix on these?
I have recently seen a video where someone played my mod on DeltaTouch, they were doing just fine.
I am not familiar with Delta Touch, unfortunately.
You need a mouse pointer to navigate all 3 screens (as far as I know).
About weapon switching - it only works with keybinds dedicated to slots (i.e. 0-9), next/previous weapon keybinds don't work as of right now.
I guess is that's why you are having troubles with it?
Keldian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am Mod as a whole at the moment very poorly optimized. Even at not very large levels with the number of monsters around 150 game starts to lag.
Oh, and btw, I just did some significant optimizations on the Augmentations mod. It's not gonna run well on slaughtermaps still, but it's better than before.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Actually, speaking about optimizations with Augmentations alone... I noticed something about using the Aggressive Defense System where it can sort of freeze the game for a brief moment when starting the thing up from time to time, I am guessing after a bit of time passing without using it.
Generally, the grounds I been testing the latest version of Augments has been feeling less stable than I remember. The checks on multiple projectiles spawned at once from some enemies can pretty much freeze the game for longer and in some instances just outright hard crash GZDoom without an error screen to show especially when I play with enemies that modify and engineer the homing projectiles to be smarter if near Shalrath projectiles smart as one projectile with the augment on can cause it to happen.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Starman the Blaziken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:00 pm Actually, speaking about optimizations with Augmentations alone... I noticed something about using the Aggressive Defense System where it can sort of freeze the game for a brief moment when starting the thing up from time to time, I am guessing after a bit of time passing without using it.
Generally, the grounds I been testing the latest version of Augments has been feeling less stable than I remember. The checks on multiple projectiles spawned at once from some enemies can pretty much freeze the game for longer and in some instances just outright hard crash GZDoom without an error screen to show especially when I play with enemies that modify and engineer the homing projectiles to be smarter if near Shalrath projectiles smart as one projectile with the augment on can cause it to happen.
That might have been a certain interaction between the mods. I would take a guess that these improved homing projectiles don't destroy themselves when their Die() function is called. I attempted to fix this issue by making the aug try to remove a projectiles only single time, and then remove it from the list of tracked projectiles, as well as making a minor optimization. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you may try to provide me with this monster mod, I will take a look.

EDIT: Also, added bullet puffs. I haven't looked into what Deus Ex uses for bullet puffs, if they are even there, so it's vanilla BulletPuff for now.
Last edited by cyber_cool on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starman the Blaziken

cyber_cool wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Starman the Blaziken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:00 pm Actually, speaking about optimizations with Augmentations alone... I noticed something about using the Aggressive Defense System where it can sort of freeze the game for a brief moment when starting the thing up from time to time, I am guessing after a bit of time passing without using it.
That might have been a certain interaction between the mods. I would take a guess that these improved homing projectiles don't destroy themselves when their Die() function is called. I attempted to fix this issue by making the aug try to remove a projectiles only single time, and then remove it from the list of tracked projectiles, as well as making a minor optimization. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you may try to provide me with this monster mod, I will take a look.
Actually, I think I seen what might actually cause it. When perfecting the upgrade and the projectile gets thrown back and hits the enemy, it causes the crash out.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Starman the Blaziken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:52 pm Actually, I think I seen what might actually cause it. When perfecting the upgrade and the projectile gets thrown back and hits the enemy, it causes the crash out.
Can't test it with the mod I don't know, but I think I have found the issue - it used to be this way with vanilla cyberdemons too.
I granted extra damage on reflected projectiles by calling DamageMobj on WorldThingDamaged() event, but i didn't check whether DamageMobj was called before or not, causing it to enter a while loop until the monster dies or the game crashes due to an endless recursion, if attack had zero damaage. Now I fixed that, I think.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Keldian might be talking about augs affecting monsters as well. Meleeing a gravfield augmented enemy is impossible 'cause of the sheer push (unless you got your own augs to counter the pushes, but in early game, it isn't an option).
Can't remember if they have biocells as well, though. I think they do eventually stop using the aug so you can push in, but if the map you're fighting on is rough, reloading the whole map might be the only way to reroll RNG.
Xada

Post by Xada »

This looks cool as hell. I was wondering when something like this would come along-- great to see someone finally did it! :D

Question: Will this mod be compatible with online play (co-op?) Or is it exclusively SP-focused? Main concern would be with things like inventory and leading to the dreaded de-sync by the looks of how involved the scripting must be.

All in all, looking great! I always LOVE seeing arsenal ports from other games and it's nice to see Deus Ex get this kind of treatment.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

ZikShadow wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:17 pm Keldian might be talking about augs affecting monsters as well. Meleeing a gravfield augmented enemy is impossible 'cause of the sheer push (unless you got your own augs to counter the pushes, but in early game, it isn't an option).
Can't remember if they have biocells as well, though. I think they do eventually stop using the aug so you can push in, but if the map you're fighting on is rough, reloading the whole map might be the only way to reroll RNG.
They do, the same rules of using bioelectrical energy apply to monsters. Though gravfrield should be the rarest augmentation, a bad RNG may screw you over at the beginning. TBF I am really thinking of removing it from monsters augmentation pool, since it only causes frustration. Yeah, I think it'll be for the best. Also will nerf the initial amount of energy regular monsters are getting.
Xada wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:48 pm This looks cool as hell. I was wondering when something like this would come along-- great to see someone finally did it!

Question: Will this mod be compatible with online play (co-op?) Or is it exclusively SP-focused? Main concern would be with things like inventory and leading to the dreaded de-sync by the looks of how involved the scripting must be.
Thanks. In theory it should work - interactions between UI and real world are done through NetEvents, but I haven't tested it at all. Will ensure that it works, after dealing with the other stuff.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I don't mind gravfielded enemies myself, gives a bit of a strategy swap if I'm used to easily meleeing an enemy. I recall in that NeoDoom run that I could pretty much one shot a lot of enemies with a berserk infused melee attack, even with the baton. Very understandable if you yank it out, though.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

ZikShadow wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:28 am I don't mind gravfielded enemies myself, gives a bit of a strategy swap if I'm used to easily meleeing an enemy. I recall in that NeoDoom run that I could pretty much one shot a lot of enemies with a berserk infused melee attack, even with the baton. Very understandable if you yank it out, though.
In certain situations they can just stunlock you in a corner, and you can't retaliate unless you kill the monster pinning you down. Not the best interaction when you can't quickly kill that monster. Also makes your accuracy way worse.

Anyway, updated a few things:
  • Added dropping weapons with "Drop weapon" keybind.
  • Added settings for hotbar behaviour.
  • Added entires in DDRGLIST regarding monsters being affect by stun (pepper spray/gas/riot prod) and EMP stun/scramble effect. (described in thread post)
  • Fixed the bug with sabot shells hitting the same monster multiple times, significantly buffed sawed-off shotgun and slightly buffed assault shotgun to compensate.
  • Added decals and bullet puffs.

Starman the Blaziken

cyber_cool wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:32 pm

EDIT: Also, added bullet puffs. I haven't looked into what Deus Ex uses for bullet puffs, if they are even there, so it's vanilla BulletPuff for now.
Wayulll... The thing I been primarily experimenting the most with that had these issues was less of a gameplay mod and more of a thing of its own that- besides it was made for ZDoom at the time and can run on GZDoom mostly just fine (with HUD issues only, no one knows why), was playing with for fun but to see how it would play with something different and not just with a gameplay mod by itself. That I am mentioning is Mayhem Mansion, and a good few enemies have homing projectiles that have a behavior like the Revenant projectiles except from what I have experienced is a big eyeball boi that only eyeballs around on the ground you see in later stages has a smarter projectile but enemies with homing capable projectiles still have that crashing issue I have mentioned.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Starman the Blaziken wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:54 pm Wayulll... The thing I been primarily experimenting the most with that had these issues was less of a gameplay mod and more of a thing of its own that- besides it was made for ZDoom at the time and can run on GZDoom mostly just fine (with HUD issues only, no one knows why), was playing with for fun but to see how it would play with something different and not just with a gameplay mod by itself. That I am mentioning is Mayhem Mansion, and a good few enemies have homing projectiles that have a behavior like the Revenant projectiles except from what I have experienced is a big eyeball boi that only eyeballs around on the ground you see in later stages has a smarter projectile but enemies with homing capable projectiles still have that crashing issue I have mentioned.
Haven't really played Mayhem Mansion, just seen a couple of videos. Tried to spawn and test actors matching your description, as well as other monsters, but projectiles were getting destroyed no problem, so it's either an ACS script or I missed a monster. Can't play through the whole game right now, so I instead made another attempt at fixing the bug, maybe it was related to a projectile spawning another projectile on death, and then this projectile spawning another, leading to an endless loop. Also, I am only testing my mods on the latest gzdoom version, if you happen to be running older versions - maybe it has something to do with the crash.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”