Wadname-based savegames

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Wadname-based savegames

Post by NightFright »

Since GZDoom seems to create savegame directories with the name of the wad you are using, I'd like to know a bit more how it works since I am requesting the same feature for another port.

1) How does it work with a PWAD like "Requiem" (requiem.wad) for Doom II if you also load an extra wad, e.g. to fix some issues with a specific map (let's call it "reqpatch.wad"). Will GZD create a directory for this one map once it's loaded or will savegames made while playing the patched map also get stored in the "requiem.wad" directory like all the other maps?

2) Are new savegame dirs still created when using gameplay mods that don't modify any maps?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Wadname-based savegames

Post by Graf Zahl »

The whole thing only checks IWADs. All PWADs for the same IWAD still get saved to the same folder, unless you explicitly override the destination with -savedir or the save_dir CVAR (the latter is not recommended as it completely disables the system, but needs to be kept for compatibility)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Wadname-based savegames

Post by NightFright »

I guess that's the easiest way to handle it. Once you start checking for which PWADs are loaded, it quickly gets kinda messy. For a port like GZD which natively supports so many IWADs (and allows adding custom ones), this approach actually seems more than sufficient.

Return to “General”