Relighting v4.0141b - hotfix

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Relighting v4.012b

Post by cosmos10040 »

Works pretty good on delta touch. In Tricks and traps, in the room with the cyber-demon and hell knights it slowed down to a crawl as they all threw their fireballs at the same time
Hey Doomer_
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

cosmos10040 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:55 am Works pretty good on delta touch. In Tricks and traps, in the room with the cyber-demon and hell knights it slowed down to a crawl as they all threw their fireballs at the same time
I'll think on that, thanks. Most likely this is the size and/or number of dynamic lights.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

WIWO

v4.013b

11/17 - fixed reading GLDEFS objects and colors - Some colors are missing or incorrectly formatted in mod GLDEFS... this routine simplifies parsing, corrects for errors, and ensures a one-to-one object-color relationship i.e. no VM aborts.
11/18 - added skewness correction for minimum area - When there are a disproportionate number of smaller sectors that would receive light sources, this corrects the lower sector size limit for those maps and improves performance. (No need to tweak settings!)
11/18 - clamped missile lights (Cvar) -During battles with multiple missiles, this clamps missile dynamic lights to 3 per sector (can be set with a Cvar). Significantly improves performance.
11/18 - added pulsing lights based on perceived color brightness - Cool is all. Also these lights don't create significant shadow maps. 8-)

As usual bug fixes, some of which improve performance. Load times have not been affected by the above (skewness is a simple calculation).

https://i.postimg.cc/wTyXRB63/v4-013b-preview.gif

Still working on performance issues; I have a few untested improvement ideas. In the above the framerate drops to 60 to 100 in a few spots... but this is better with default settings.

Finally I'll be looking at lighting options in sectors before release that will not affect performance at all. Should have a release in the next few days.

Thanks for all your interest and comments!
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

I can't wait for the updates! But I need it now 😫 lol I was using beautiful doom with relighting and codefx, when using the plasma gun secondary function which is a beam, it slows to a crawl, I notice intense light from the gun, sometimes the chaingun too.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:59 am WIWO

v4.013b

11/17 - fixed reading GLDEFS objects and colors - Some colors are missing or incorrectly formatted in mod GLDEFS... this routine simplifies parsing, corrects for errors, and ensures a one-to-one object-color relationship i.e. no VM aborts.
11/18 - added skewness correction for minimum area - When there are a disproportionate number of smaller sectors that would receive light sources, this corrects the lower sector size limit for those maps and improves performance. (No need to tweak settings!)
11/18 - clamped missile lights (Cvar) -During battles with multiple missiles, this clamps missile dynamic lights to 3 per sector (can be set with a Cvar). Significantly improves performance.
11/18 - added pulsing lights based on perceived color brightness - Cool is all. Also these lights don't create significant shadow maps. 8-)
can you add a "reset to defaults" option for settings?

also, unrelated but do you have any newer versions of Flankers/Ambushers laying about?
I tried it a while back, but it causes a lot of enemies to have that shader conflict I had the other day when they are "invisible".
also they didn't seem to be flanking or ambushing if paired with universal AI mod. (though, i suspect that's just how it goes)
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Post by kalensar »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:05 pm
Hey Doomer_ wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:59 am WIWO

v4.013b

can you add a "reset to defaults" option for settings?

also, unrelated but do you have any newer versions of Flankers/Ambushers laying about?
I tried it a while back, but it causes a lot of enemies to have that shader conflict I had the other day when they are "invisible".
also they didn't seem to be flanking or ambushing if paired with universal AI mod. (though, i suspect that's just how it goes)
UEAI can cause VM ABort Crashes. The problem has never been resolved and I tried fixing it myself too, but to no avail. Also it's version of AI control will override anything that sits above it in the load order. Its a one size fits all for AI enhancement, and also Doom's limited ability to implement such tactics is partially to blame too.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

kalensar wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:33 pm
UEAI can cause VM ABort Crashes. The problem has never been resolved and I tried fixing it myself too, but to no avail. Also it's version of AI control will override anything that sits above it in the load order. Its a one size fits all for AI enhancement, and also Doom's limited ability to implement such tactics is partially to blame too.
oh huh. that might be the crash i keep getting, though i haven't played anything with it specifically since it doesn't really do much. hence the flankers/ambushers.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Working on better sector lighting:

https://i.postimg.cc/6Q2dVkkr/e1m1-sector-lighting.gif

This has no performance hit. Note the light switch on the door working and gradient light levels on walls (left side of the same sector is slightly brighter). This is linked to the Holy Grail of sector lighting, gradient staircase lighting:

https://i.postimg.cc/gk1RzSXr/Screensho ... 025954.png

Crude and still testing, but this has no performance hit. In the WorldLoaded function each sidedef is checked to see what light falls on it and the Side light is adjusted relative to sector light. That's it. Simple and obvious.

The previous version of Relighting used sensor actors and light sources actors updated in real time. This approach is very similar except lights are more or less backed into sides when the world is loaded; since the only time a sector light changes is when a door is opened or a missile passes through, those are the coded exceptions. All Specials remain the same, unlike the old version. Should have something shortly. 8-)
Hey Doomer_

Re: Relighting v4.013b

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Just uploaded v4.013b.

Many bug fixes improving performance and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much tweaking to understand how all of this interacts for my own benefit. This mod changes many, many things at the same time. Sidedef lighting is interesting as can be noted in the E2M2 green marble room with the columns and darkened corners. I was surprised when I saw that.

What doesn't work: 3d slope shadows. :?

Note there is a "Reset to Defaults" option at the bottom of the Settings menu.

Thanks for your interest!!

Please let me know what you think!
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:40 pm Just uploaded v4.013b.
got a crash on launching.

Code: Select all

Called from hd_relighting_EventHandler.WorldLoaded at relighting v4.013b.pk3:zscript/hd_relighting.zs, line 550

Execution could not continue.

VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size = 1, current index = 1
seems like array is starting at 1 rather than 0, maybe?
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size = 1, current index = 1

Called from hd_relighting_EventHandler.WorldLoaded at relighting v4.013b.pk3:zscript/hd_relighting.zs, line 564

I got a crash too. Maybe the same as Dan's error.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

cosmos10040 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:33 pm VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size = 1, current index = 1

Called from hd_relighting_EventHandler.WorldLoaded at relighting v4.013b.pk3:zscript/hd_relighting.zs, line 564

Hotfix posted. Are you running the same mod, I wonder?

I'm going to have to rework the GLDEFS reading routine again. I didn't get any errors on my end with a dozen different mods, but there's still a lot of variation.
Keldyn

Re: Relighting v4.0131b

Post by Keldyn »

That got it going. Many thanks for the hotfix! 8-)
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 am Hotfix posted. Are you running the same mod, I wonder?

I'm going to have to rework the GLDEFS reading routine again. I didn't get any errors on my end with a dozen different mods, but there's still a lot of variation.
it's working now i think, though the load time is back to 10+ seconds. did you work off an older version or something?
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 am
cosmos10040 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:33 pm VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size = 1, current index = 1

Hotfix posted. Are you running the same mod, I wonder?

Works great and no loading issues on my part. I was running with same mods as before.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”