Hunter of Darkness

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skidjit

Hunter of Darkness

Post by Skidjit »

"Your light flickers as you hear the demon clawing it's way to you. Hurried, you look down the path into the darkness. You see the outline of the demon's claws and teeth. Panic sets in as you take aim and fire a shot. Your rifle gives and loud report and the tell tale ping of an empty rifle. Your fate has been sealed, the demon lunges..."

INTRODUCTION:
SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MINING OPERATIONS, OUR WORLD HAS BEEN AT A CONSTANT WAR. WITHIN THE DEPTHS OF THE UNDERGROUND, LIES A WHOLE ECOSYSTEM. A WORLD OF GHASTLY CREATURES WHOSE WHOLE SURVIVAL HINGES ON THE BRUTALTITY IT CAN UNLEASH. WHILE NEVER VENTURING OUT INTO HUMAN LANDS (WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION) THESE HORRORS OF THE UNDERWORLD THREATEN THE MINES. MINES WHICH HOUSE THE RESOURCES OUR WORLD NEEDS TO PROSPER AND EVOLVE TECHNOLOGY.

AS POLICY DICTATES, THE MINING COMPANIES HIRE BRAVE SOULS WHO ARE WILLING TO GO BELOW THE DEPTHS WHEN THE HORRORS ARRIVE. EACH ONE ENTERING THE MINES FOR THEIR OWN GOALS: FOR MONEY, FOR GLORY, FOR THE THRILL OF THE KILL OR SIMPLY FOR LACK OF ANYTHING BETTER TO DO. YOU ARE ONE OF THESE. WHATEVER YOUR MOTIVATION, THE GOAL IS CLEAR... HUNT AND SURVIVE IN THE DEPTHS BELOW THE WORLD'S FEET.

YOU ARE A...

HUNTER OF DARKNESS

Welcome to Hunter of Darkness! This mod is meant to be a single player experience where the management of resources is paramount to your success. The basic premise behind HoD is that players go into demon lairs to hunt and collect “trophies". Once the player collects all of the "Nightmare Nine" and collects a substantial amount of gold, you can "retire" (ie Complete the Career mode). The current long term plan is then allow the unlocking of another mode to incentivize continued play.

In addition to the hunts you go on, there are hidden quests and objectives that if completed will give the player a leg up on future adventures into the underground.

Inspiration for the T/C comes from classics like Diablo, Outlaws, Heretic and Blood. There are elements and assets used from each of them. Currently as of October 2022, my experience with coding and mapping is very basic. Any and all critiques are welcomed. I am still working on the main maps as well as coding a handful of features that are crucial to the gameplay. A demo is available as a proof of concept to give players a taste of what the game is aiming to be. It is very un-refined but that will change in due time. I do have one other person who helps with mapping from time to time but this is still just a passion project I dedicate some free time to.

In addition to the development of the game itself, I also indent on fleshing out the lore of "Hunter of Darkness".

MODDB Link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/hunter-of-darkness

NEWS & UPDATES:
31OCT2022

Hello ZDooM Forums! Just posting my introduction for a T/C I have been working on called Hunter of Darkness. The downloads for the demo/ proof of concept are available on the MODDB page. I have two articles posted on that page. One is the intro posted above, the other is a post to release the updated DEMO. I'll be sure to cross post anything on MODDB to here, along with answering questions anyone has. Thank you for your time!

Updated Demo Screenshots:

- SKIDJIT
Kalsonic

Re: Hunter of Darkness

Post by Kalsonic »

Looks sweet! I'll be giving it a try.
Skidjit

Post by Skidjit »

Greetings Hunters! Just a quick update on progress since the last demo release. First up, side quests! Much like the games that has inspired HoD we are including side quests to help the player along on the road to retirement. Some will be found out through dialogue. Others through exploration.

Next, we are working on a few maps. Of note is expanding the Minor Hunting Grounds. Once this is complete, we will then begin work on the Major and Legendary grounds. Simultaneously, my partner in crime is working on a side quest map.

Until next time,

Happy Hunting!

- Skidjit
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Played through this few days ago and this TC looks good so far! I like the concept of demon hunter killing vile creatures with WW2 era rifle, collecting trophies. I also like how large the map is and able to take multiple paths for higher risk tasks... Well, if that part's done. Cool stuff!

One complain might be my M1 Garand would fire only once after i deplete a clip. It goes back to normal if i use the clip item, though. I mean it's actually accurate since you can do that with Garand IRL but the firepower gets severely decreased.
Skidjit

Post by Skidjit »

Captain J wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:09 pm Played through this few days ago and this TC looks good so far! I like the concept of demon hunter killing vile creatures with WW2 era rifle, collecting trophies. I also like how large the map is and able to take multiple paths for higher risk tasks... Well, if that part's done. Cool stuff!

One complain might be my M1 Garand would fire only once after i deplete a clip. It goes back to normal if i use the clip item, though. I mean it's actually accurate since you can do that with Garand IRL but the firepower gets severely decreased.
Thank you for the encouraging words. I did add the single shot on purpose as a mechanic. I am striving for the most realistic M1 in a game to date, basing what I know from IRL matches I shoot with WW2/Korea era Garands.

Despite being the coder and sinking countless hours in testing, I will still forget to load the clip and only get one shot off. Then panic ensues :lol:

That being said, if it would be worth maybe coding in different difficulty settings to make the game simpler in the name of playability for all; I can explore that as an option.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Skidjit wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 amThank you for the encouraging words. I did add the single shot on purpose as a mechanic. I am striving for the most realistic M1 in a game to date, basing what I know from IRL matches I shoot with WW2/Korea era Garands.
Matches? Like you literally fought in either WW2 or Korean war with M1 Garand? You described the weapon in fine accuracy indeed.
Skidjit

Post by Skidjit »

Captain J wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:59 pm
Skidjit wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 amThank you for the encouraging words. I did add the single shot on purpose as a mechanic. I am striving for the most realistic M1 in a game to date, basing what I know from IRL matches I shoot with WW2/Korea era Garands.
Matches? Like you literally fought in either WW2 or Korean war with M1 Garand? You described the weapon in fine accuracy indeed.
Here is the US, there are a few organizations that hosts marksmanship competitions around the country. I have been doing one that is specifically for M1s since 2019.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”