Hard PC crash when running GZDoom .8

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
ribbons0121r121
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Hard PC crash when running GZDoom .8

Post by ribbons0121r121 »

regardless of unmodded or not, if i run anything with gzdoom on there after about 2 levels and middle of third the game crashes so hard it busts my pc and it needs a reboot
its not because of a not good enough gpu or ram, cant find any memory leaks, and im not sure why this is happening whatsoever
yes my drivers are updated
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hard PC crash when running GZDoom .8

Post by wildweasel »

What's your hardware specs? What version of GZDoom is it (I'm really hoping it's not 0.8)? Have you run memtest86?
Rachael
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

GZDoom is not capable of causing hard PC crashes on its own since it is not a driver nor a privileged application, it simply runs within the jailed space that is given by the operating system.

These crashes are caused by hardware failures, more often than not it's because your PC is long overdue for a thorough dust cleaning and reapplication of thermal paste for the heat sinks.

Also taking advantage of GZDoom's "vid_maxfps" cvar is highly recommended; setting it to a setting just above your display's refresh rate.
ribbons0121r121
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by ribbons0121r121 »

its 4.8 gzdoom, and no it does not need thermal paste, see this is a thinkpad and i doubt i could open it up for that, let alone enough air space for dust to collect. Ive monitored the hardware use before using task manager and i didnt seen any overloads or peaking on usage. If it were a hardware failure then a reboot wouldnt fix it. I am perfectly sure i dont need a high end gpu to run default doom 2. Is there any way to check for memory leaks?
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wildweasel »

I would suggest running Memtest86+, a memory-testing utility that runs from a bootable USB drive. Even if you don't think that the memory is failing, it's better to try it anyway to rule that out.
Rachael
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ribbons0121r121 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:39 pm its 4.8 gzdoom, and no it does not need thermal paste, see this is a thinkpad and i doubt i could open it up for that, let alone enough air space for dust to collect. Ive monitored the hardware use before using task manager and i didnt seen any overloads or peaking on usage. If it were a hardware failure then a reboot wouldnt fix it. I am perfectly sure i dont need a high end gpu to run default doom 2. Is there any way to check for memory leaks?
Sorry but - when you're just going to put your feet down to keep saying "it's not this, it's not this, it's not this, it's not this" you're actually going to rule out what the cause could actually be. This flaw of misdiagnosing PC problems happens often and it leads to way more costly troubleshooting and repairs than you ever needed to do in the first place.

You want to find out what the problem is? Good. Keep an open mind though. You have to test everything thoroughly.

Now - let's address a few things.

Yes - Thinkpads get hot. In fact, they can get real hot. To the point where components *could* start failing. Am I saying this is the problem? No. I am saying it's extremely foolish to off-handedly rule it out without thoroughly testing for it. You can't clean the fans and the heat sinks? Fine - but at least get a heat monitoring application. (That is, if Weasel's suggestion of MemTest86+ does not come up with any errors - yes, you have to rule both out! And no, your system does not have to be under "heavy load" to overheat - if the fans are failing it'll actually happen real fucking quick, probably before you can even catch it in the heat monitoring app, and even the most miniscule of a load that's more than staring at the desktop can cause that)
If it were a hardware failure then a reboot wouldnt fix it.
That's literally not how hardware failures work. You're thinking of catastrophic hardware failures that you can't recover from - and in that case you'd be right. But some hardware failures are much more subtle and can occur only in certain conditions or only when the system is under heavy load. Just because it SEEMS to be working right doesn't mean it actually is - if a certain set of conditions can trigger a failure, it does not mean the hardware is good. In fact, by definition that makes the hardware immediately suspect.
I am perfectly sure i dont need a high end gpu to run default doom 2.
Correct. When you're running the default version of DOS Doom you actually don't need a GPU at all. I am sure that's what you mean by "default doom 2" right?

This is GZDoom, though, and that changes things quite a lot. To be sure, GZDoom does not run on the old 486's that used to run DOS Doom, that's for sure. I also find that people who make this claim frequently run Brutal Doom which slows down the execution of GZDoom considerably. (No, but surely Brutal Doom isn't the problem there, no, not muh precious MOD made by the most precious MARK, even though GZDoom just suddenly runs fine without it, oh uh whoops uh wow go figure that huh ... yeah 2 and 2 just don't make 4 nope don't believe your lying eyes!)

When running GZDoom any GPU within the last 10 years will handle it quite well, any within the last 15-17-ish years should be moderately okay for something like Doom 2 without mods (on GZDoom), sure, if you're willing to accept some compromises, like running on OpenGL ES.
Is there any way to check for memory leaks?
Well if you want you can sit there with task manager for an hour and watch GZDoom's memory usage go up. I'm sure it'll be at least as entertaining as watching paint dry!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This definitely sounds like hardware overheating or something similar.
I had a similar problem many years ago, around the time when ZDoom got uncapped frame rate and I ported that to GZDoom - it only took a few minutes and the system would either lock up or reboot on its own. After the reboot I could launch GZDoom again, but again wouldn't take long to do the same thing again.
At 35 fps it was no problem - I could play for an hour without any issues.

The cause of all this was a clogged up fan - it had collected so much dust that it couldn't handle the excess heat generated by the increased performance demands of uncapped frame rate anymore. After I cleaned it up the problems went away.

Return to “Technical Issues”