Batman Doom Reborn *UnChained*

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lulle

Batman Doom Reborn *UnChained*

Post by lulle »

Sometimes you do things that you would rather have left alone....
This is Batman Doom Reborn (by Evil Space Tomato) converted so you can run it with standard Doom Maps.
After renaming thousands of files, resizing about 500 sprites, porting decorate to zscript and countless hours of editing it kinda works.
Ported:
-Enemies: replacing the Doom enemies. Bonus: Totally unbalanced!
-Weapons: The weapons from Batman Doom (Reloaded)+some stuff from the sequel.
Bonus:
--Batman Tool: remote trigger switches and buttons. Can even open locked doors without a keycard. Altfire: Desintegrate
--Grapple Hook from BatmanDoom 2
--Flamethrower Altfire: Freezer
--Batarang AltFire: Freezarang
--Fist Altfire: Kick
-Double Jump
-Breakable Windows

Also kinda works with Heretic.

Totally work in progress!

Lazy E1M1 runthrough:

Spoiler:
Download
MOD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8sqqY ... sp=sharing
Textures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EDiID0 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by lulle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lulle

Re: Batman Doom *unchained*

Post by lulle »

Update V110:
+Fixed a ton of issues with enemies and weapons
+ Footsteps
+Terrain Splashes
+Batman Sky + Lightning/Thunder
+Breakable Windows
+AltFire Bouncing Smoek Bomb
+Enemy Scouter
+new sounds
+...
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i guess now we can have the world of Batman related stuff in other things now, specially big city levels & megawads :)
lulle

Post by lulle »

V 122:
+Electric Pod
+Bat Scouter
+GrappleGun improved: Can pull Foes
+Quick JumpKick
+Textures from vanilla Batman Doom renamed and uploaded
+more Items like the randomBonusspawner, Megashpere, ...
+reorganised the monster replacements
+created some missing sprites, e.g. broken table, SOULD0,...
+++countless things

Playable, but still WiP and unpolished!

Textures from vanilla Batman Doom renamed and uploaded.
lulle

Post by lulle »

MrRumbleRoses wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:38 pm i guess now we can have the world of Batman related stuff in other things now, specially big city levels & megawads :)
Oh yeah, if some mappers would jump on the train->sweet dreams :wub:

I am working towards a full clean TC which is in some parts already done. The root of all evil lies in the dehacked past of the mod, what means that the names for every sprite, texture and sound are re-used names of DOOM sprites, sound... That's no blame to the authors, that is just how dehacked worked back in the days. It gets totally crazy when the sprites for 1 DOOM Items are used for several totally different items in the mod without any logical connection, e.g. TechLamp->Penguin Robots. The sprites for Columns are used for a ton of items.. really crazy work to sort that out :oops:
So what I did I searched for unused letter combinations and reassigned them kinda logically to a BATMAN item/monster like JOKR for the Joker. Because of the weird name reusing that wast sometimes not enough, so I had to add a 2. combo "JKER". Dont ask how many hours I spent searching for bugs like mistakenly renaming XXXXA2A6 to XXXXB2A6 *AAARGGG*
So far for the sprites. It still could be cleaner, but its good for me now.
The sound are renamed but still ugly, I just prefixed/renamed them like
bmweapons/pistol BMPISTOL
Thats technically OK but often it lacks the connection to the Monster/item like the Joker uses:
DeathSound "vile/death";
PainSound "vile/pain";
What has to be done is to rename every sound again in a meaningful way. For that you have to change every occurance in every zscript file. After starting to grep and replace a few sounds I just stopped because it's technically OK. So I saved that work for later.
Evil space Tomato already did an amazing job "de-dehacking" the vanilla mod whick means porting the dehacked stuff to decorate. I cant even imageine how many weeks or month he spent for that task. So at least I am not the only crazy guy out there :mrgreen:
And because that's not enough work I converted decorate to zscript. That means adding a few 1000 ";" , " : Actor" , "Default {" a.s.o. VSC helps a lot but it was ******.

There has gone a lot of work of countless people gone into this mod and new maps would be pretty sweet.
Another idea is drop the weapons and replace them with really cool gadgets and improve the melee combat. I already added the Locksmith tool and reworked the Grapple Hook which can also pull enemies now (#Loreshot). A really good Grappling Hook is is still missing. I tried some things with the linetracer but a good Grappling Hook is not that easy to pull off. I read through the sourcecode of painkeep arena but I didnt get a picture yet how they pulled off the grappling hook.

So lets see if BATMAN will get a new Gotham to protect!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”