How does the autoaim slider work?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Casualfan

How does the autoaim slider work?

Post by Casualfan »

So in the gameplay options on GZDoom there's an option for smart autoaim. But the player setup menu has a slider for autoaim, which makes me assume that there are various levels of autoaim besides all or none. What are the differences between these two option menus, and for the latter what level on the slider would be consistent with vanilla doom?
Thanks for your patience yall, I know I ask a lot of questions here :P
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: How does the autoaim slider work?

Post by ramon.dexter »

You can go right ahead and test it yourself. Like, set none, test how it behaves, then set it middle, and so on.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ramon.dexter wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:41 am You can go right ahead and test it yourself. Like, set none, test how it behaves, then set it middle, and so on.
They could test it themselves, sure. They could spend hours getting a feel for what the different levels of settings actually do, make observations, record notes or whatever.

Or somebody familiar with the code behind it, or that knows how to read said code, can explain exactly how it works and save OP the hassle.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

The autoaim slider controls the number of degrees up or down from the player's pitch that targets will be searched for. I believe the max value of 35 is what vanilla Doom used.

The smart autoaim toggle attempts to avoid targetting friendlies and barrels. I think it may also skip autoaim if you're already pointed at a valid target, but I'm not sure on that.

8-)
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

Caligari87 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:10 am The autoaim slider controls the number of degrees up or down from the player's pitch that targets will be searched for. I believe the max value of 35 is what vanilla Doom used.

The smart autoaim toggle attempts to avoid targetting friendlies and barrels. I think it may also skip autoaim if you're already pointed at a valid target, but I'm not sure on that.

8-)
Ah, I see. Thanks, this cleared everything up! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Return to “General”