[SOLVED] Fresh build GZDoom 4.8.2 Linux cant find ZMusic

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
MartinHowe

[SOLVED] Fresh build GZDoom 4.8.2 Linux cant find ZMusic

Post by MartinHowe »

Putting it here in Technical Issues first, since it looks like something other than a core bug in the engine.

I just upgraded my Linux Mint to 21 from 20.3. GZDoom couldn't then find ZMusic. So I rebuilt my game engines from scratch. It still can't find it, and neither can Raze.

The libraries are there, as I rebuilt ZMusic first:

Code: Select all

martin@luna:~/Games/Engines/ZMusic$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libzmus*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusiclite.so -> libzmusiclite.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusiclite.so.1 -> libzmusiclite.so.1.1.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1412672 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusiclite.so.1.1.10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      14 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusic.so -> libzmusic.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      19 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusic.so.1 -> libzmusic.so.1.1.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3648528 Aug 13 18:21 /usr/local/lib/libzmusic.so.1.1.10
Any attempt to run GZDoom or Raze, even with no parameters whatsoever, give me this:

Code: Select all

martin@luna:~/Downloads$ gzdoom
/usr/games/gzdoom/gzdoom: error while loading shared libraries: libzmusic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

martin@luna:~/Downloads$ raze
/usr/games/raze/raze: error while loading shared libraries: libzmusiclite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Is there anything I can do about this, please?
Last edited by MartinHowe on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinHowe

Re: [SOLVED] Fresh build GZDoom 4.8.2 Linux cant find ZMusic

Post by MartinHowe »

OK forget it. Consider this a heads-up to anyone who made bash scripts to automate building *zdoom.

It seems ZMusic's Makefile now has an install target and puts everything in mainstream system library paths; you don't need to copy things to /usr/local (or anywhere else). Update your build scripts now :)

Case closed.

Return to “Technical Issues”