[0.9.8] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [0.9.3] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Gourry »

@ Netheritor

Maybe a crash log? It didn't close gzdoom and was still able load save file; so not sure if this also just the map or stage.
What counts as too many upgrades? These are the upgrades on the slot 4 dmr weapon:

Rapid fire lvl 1
Dark Harvest lvl 18
Damage lvl 6
Shocking Inscription lvl 4
Revivification lvl 3
Thunderbolt lvl 2 (currently disabled)

edit: tried thunderbolt with a carbine that has more upgrades on a different level and no crashing.
edit 2: crashed happened again on regular zombie with same thunderbolt issue but with carbine.

Upgrades on carbine:

Rapid fire lvl 1
Dark Harvest lvl 14
Venomous Inscription lvl 3
Weakness lvl 2
Damage lvl 6
Putrefaction lvl 2
shocking Inscription lv 4
Revivification lvl 2
Thunderbolt lvl 1
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Netheritor wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:22 am Hm? You interested in that? I thought it's impossible, considering you can only upgrade the weapon, not the projectiles that being fired. I forgot about the 'on death enemy will spawn'.
Then; how about using another corrupted card idea, the one where it spawn sentry and fires enemy projectiles? In the case of this mod, it should spawn custom actor that fires the projectiles of the enemies being killed. Kinda like revivication but it's sentry / fixed position / can't move. The idea for upgrading that upgrade is the duration of the sentry.
Rather than changing the projectile of a weapon (which I'm not sure if I agree with since it will definitely break the intended functionality of a lot of mod weapons if it were possible), I'd say just something as simple as a counter where a projectile is spawned alongside the player every x number of shots - or from wherever a player projectile impacts (i.e. fragmentation shots) :)
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

I can't replicate the thunderbolt bug again. My theory is either because; map size, our PC specs, or just unlucky. Let me try to reconstruct the bug happen.
I played hexen with serpent resurrection mod, map in the place where you can fly in early level. Enemy is the upgraded centaur, and of course because of the map, the enemies can fly. Class used is cleric while using the mace weapon, the upgrade should be similar to @Gourry. Also, @gourry, is the zombie just regular enemy in the later abort or is there some 'upgrades' with the enemy?

Also, @MsrSgt, before I see that @toxic can do a spread shot or extra projectiles upgrade, I'm not sure the idea with projectiles spawned every x number of shots will work.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Netheritor wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:51 am I can't replicate the thunderbolt bug again. My theory is either because; map size, our PC specs, or just unlucky. Let me try to reconstruct the bug happen.
I played hexen with serpent resurrection mod, map in the place where you can fly in early level. Enemy is the upgraded centaur, and of course because of the map, the enemies can fly. Class used is cleric while using the mace weapon, the upgrade should be similar to @Gourry. Also, @gourry, is the zombie just regular enemy in the later abort or is there some 'upgrades' with the enemy?
Just the shocking upgrades on regular zombies randomly. It also does it instantly when part of an elemental beam combo (when thunderbolt is chosen), sometimes with poison.
nullgene

Post by nullgene »

I got the thunderbolt bug. It seems to be a bd21monstersonlyfix.pk3 thing, but I'm not that sure about it so I've uploaded the crash log and load order below.

https://imgur.com/a/OPJJXlH
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

I haven't had a chance to look at the recent bug reports -- sorry! -- but I did finally manage to roll up a bunch of accumulated changes and release 0.9.4. Hilights include:

- finished pt-br translation
- rapid fire is now +50% and scales up to +500% (there may be some graphical glitches at high rates of fire)
- Elemental Synthesis and Thunderbolt are now better
- some bugfixes, including KillMaster scripts no longer vaporizing the player when revivification procs

You can download it, and read the full changelog, here.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

ToxicFrog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:47 pm I haven't had a chance to look at the recent bug reports -- sorry! -- but I did finally manage to roll up a bunch of accumulated changes and release 0.9.4. Hilights include:

- finished pt-br translation
- rapid fire is now +50% and scales up to +500% (there may be some graphical glitches at high rates of fire)
- Elemental Synthesis and Thunderbolt are now better
- some bugfixes, including KillMaster scripts no longer vaporizing the player when revivification procs

You can download it, and read the full changelog, here.
Quick heads up, looks like a lot of the debug print data is still active
Brohnesorge
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.9.4] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Brohnesorge »

Hell yeah, always really excited to see new versions.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

This version keep popping up messages ie:
Ca.ansilla.bonsai/ (stuff) anytime anything happens, shoot and enemy or enemy shoots at me or pick up an item. Weird I can post an image if needed.
mamaluigisbagel

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

cosmos10040 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:21 am This version keep popping up messages ie:
Ca.ansilla.bonsai/ (stuff) anytime anything happens, shoot and enemy or enemy shoots at me or pick up an item. Weird I can post an image if needed.
Can confirm. Here's a screrenshot.

ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

"I didn't commit the changes that enable debug logging so the build system can't see them, right?" -- me, 2022

Re-download, should be fixed now. I really need to tweak my build system so that it gives debug builds a different pk3 name.
mamaluigisbagel

Seems to be working fine now. I was compiling a list of bugs I found, but since there's so few don't be surprised if there are bugs that have already been reported.

-A lot of weapon's fire rate do not seem affected by the "Rapid Fire" upgrade, however their reload and idle animations are.
-Bullet weapons that fire projectiles get projectile upgrades. This can be problematic if a player were to have a minigun and get the "Fragmentation Rounds" upgrade.
-With Naku-Naru, some guns have melee weapon upgrades. This is likely due to the weapon having a quick melee on the secondary fire. I think this was a bug with BDLite as well, and I may have mentioned it already.
Gidon_147
Preferred Pronouns: Ask Me
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Gidon_147 »

Hey there, I just came to say that I absolutely love this mod. The best thing is that i can slap it on pretty much any modlist and it will just do what it's there for.
I'm instantly getting the same kind of satisfaction i get when playing Vampire Survivors or other Vamplikes, and together with for example Corruption Cards and a hard monster pack, or why not just Reelism or something, you can get to that feeling of growing power with growing challenge, that makes those Vamplikes so addictive.

SO here is some thing that come into mind that i kinda crave for this kinda thing: (It's just a wishlist i just speak from a consumers perspective)
1) incentives to level up a single power, by for example having the 5th and/or 10th level of each upgrade have a special extra effect or make it extra strong
2) More upgrades and dependencies between them (for example have upgrade Kind C appear only after player has Upgrade A and B already); more variety and different outcomes can quickly ramp up the fun factor), which can form kind of upgrade paths and trees;
3) upgrades that are really strong but also strengthen demons in some way.

TL;DR thank you for this mod, i love that its compatible with everything, please make it bigger.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:04 am Seems to be working fine now. I was compiling a list of bugs I found, but since there's so few don't be surprised if there are bugs that have already been reported.

-A lot of weapon's fire rate do not seem affected by the "Rapid Fire" upgrade, however their reload and idle animations are.
-Bullet weapons that fire projectiles get projectile upgrades. This can be problematic if a player were to have a minigun and get the "Fragmentation Rounds" upgrade.
-With Naku-Naru, some guns have melee weapon upgrades. This is likely due to the weapon having a quick melee on the secondary fire. I think this was a bug with BDLite as well, and I may have mentioned it already.
(1) Which weapons (from which mods)? And do they work properly with PowerDoubleFiringSpeed, or is that also broken?
(2) It has a check where it treats projectiles with a speed above 300 as hitscans, which I know works in HDest. What mod is this? It's possible it's using a slower speed that still looks "bullet-y" and I need to adjust that threshold. (Frag shots on a minigun sounds like the most fun you can have at 5 fps, though.)
(3) Yeah, IsMelee() is based on the +MELEEWEAPON flag, and some mods set that flag on ranged weapons that have melee alts. When I have a minute I can go through the mod and see which ones need to be reflagged.
Gidon_147 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:31 am Hey there, I just came to say that I absolutely love this mod. The best thing is that i can slap it on pretty much any modlist and it will just do what it's there for.
I'm instantly getting the same kind of satisfaction i get when playing Vampire Survivors or other Vamplikes, and together with for example Corruption Cards and a hard monster pack, or why not just Reelism or something, you can get to that feeling of growing power with growing challenge, that makes those Vamplikes so addictive.
I'm so glad you like it! And yeah, while I've never played VS (the main inspiration for this mod is War of Attrition), that feeling of steadily escalating power and challenge is exactly what I was going for.
SO here is some thing that come into mind that i kinda crave for this kinda thing: (It's just a wishlist i just speak from a consumers perspective)
1) incentives to level up a single power, by for example having the 5th and/or 10th level of each upgrade have a special extra effect or make it extra strong
2) More upgrades and dependencies between them (for example have upgrade Kind C appear only after player has Upgrade A and B already); more variety and different outcomes can quickly ramp up the fun factor), which can form kind of upgrade paths and trees;
3) upgrades that are really strong but also strengthen demons in some way.

TL;DR thank you for this mod, i love that its compatible with everything, please make it bigger.
There's no technical obstacle to (1), I just don't have many good ideas for it; ditto (2), although that's really something I'd like to expand on. (3) is probably not going to happen because it makes the potential compatibility difficulties even spicier -- I figure if people want stronger demons, that's what Colourful Hell/Champions/Legendoom/Corruption Cards/etc are for :D
mamaluigisbagel

1) Naku-Naru is the mod I was using that only sped up the reload and idle animations for some of the weapons. I believe some, like the shotguns, do fire a little faster. But the automatic weapons seem to fire at the same rate. I haven't tested the PowerDoubleFiringSpeed bit though.

2) I believe this was when using BDLite, though I know I've had this with other mods. Will have to find them again, though.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”