[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheVanessii
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [0.10.4] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by TheVanessii »

Brohnesorge wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:19 pm
TheVanessii wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:40 pm I noticed that when weapons get fast, the muzzle flash sprite that's laid over the main gun sprite lingers longer than it should; leading to the cutoff muzzleflash sprite hovering when the weapon itself has already moved. Still a really interesting mod though!

https://imgur.com/a/o8ztfYl

little late but I just want to throw out there that the SSG is just like that in vanilla Doom. One of those "once you see it" type deals.
Unfortunately you're right, I noticed this a little after I made this post when playing on DSDA. I just try not to look at it and pretend it doesn't exist, same with the weird off-center weapon alignments XD
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

TheVanessii wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:03 pm Unfortunately you're right, I noticed this a little after I made this post when playing on DSDA. I just try not to look at it and pretend it doesn't exist, same with the weird off-center weapon alignments XD
DSDA is still in a pretty rough state, the way the guns lock in place mid-bob is so funny though, especially the fact that it affects where the gun shoots.
TheVanessii

Post by TheVanessii »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:08 pm
TheVanessii wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:03 pm Unfortunately you're right, I noticed this a little after I made this post when playing on DSDA. I just try not to look at it and pretend it doesn't exist, same with the weird off-center weapon alignments XD
DSDA is still in a pretty rough state, the way the guns lock in place mid-bob is so funny though, especially the fact that it affects where the gun shoots.
Pretty sure the gun locking into place is just vanilla behavior, can be changed in settings, though it doesn't effect where the gun shoots in my build at least (0.27.5)

Edit: Just tried it on chocolate doom and the gun locks in place upon shooting as well
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: [0.10.5] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Zhs2 »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:41 pm
TristanH wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 pm I must say, This mod has improved. But there's a problem, a big one. When I get the Juggler upgrade, when I try to get a new upgrade, The game just crashes completely. Here's the error.
was just coming to post this same crash.

wasn't sure what the cause was but it sounds like juggler because i had juggler on an upgrade before mine started crashing too.
doomcrash.png

--EDIT--
on the bandoliers thing, I think just having toggles for the troublesome upgrades would go a long way... like being able to disable ammo/health/armor scavenge and bandoliers would be pretty good for using things like DRLA
You can pick any first player upgrade you want, it'll abort on the second attempt to pick a player upgrade since the reference to a tooltip variable tt is unrecoverable. You can bandaid this by adding

Code: Select all

if(!tt)
{
	return 0;
}
before

tt.text = upgrade.GetTooltip(upgrade.level);
on line 115 in the file .pk3\ca.ancilla.bonsai\menu\GenericMenu.zsc, but since the tooltip doesn't exist none will be displayed. I presume this refers to whatever player upgrade you picked previously because in its place will be a blank space.

EDIT: From what I can tell during play experience both the Juggler and Intuition upgrades have broken lines of text in the menu.
ToxicFrog
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Bugfix release: 0.10.6

Post by ToxicFrog »

0.10.6 is out, fixing the menu crash reported above and a few issues with Swiftness.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:41 pm on the bandoliers thing, I think just having toggles for the troublesome upgrades would go a long way... like being able to disable ammo/health/armor scavenge and bandoliers would be pretty good for using things like DRLA
Yeah, I've been kind of resistant to adding a "toggle upgrade availability" menu because this mod has so many menus already, but it might be worth doing. In an ideal world BONSAIRC (either the one in GB itself or ones included in other mods that want to be compatible) would handle this automatically, but that is not the world we live in -- there's just too much out there.
stainedofmind wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:57 pm So, update on ammo reserves instead of Bandoliers, I managed to get it working a little better, at least so it doesn't completely break when clips/reloading is involved (only tested with Brutal Doom in this case). I borrowed code from Ammo Leech to determine what qualifies as a legitimate ammo type, but it's still definitely not perfect. Best example I've run into so far is with Hell Crusher and the secondary fire for the Plasma Rifle, which builds up heat as you fire. This might benefit from a special section to the BONSAIRC lump, or a similar one, that the user/author can specify which ammo types are/aren't valid. It definitely feels like it works good overall though. I might clean it up a bit and post it here if anyone wants to mess around with it
Please do (and let me know if you're ok with it being incorporated into GB).
Dan_The_Noob wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:07 pm I don't really understand the goal of the ammo reserves alternative other than just avoiding clashes with mods where bandoliers could be toggled off
Literally just that, sometimes I want to be able to carry even more ammo but I also want to play a mod that does cool backpack stuff.
Darkbeetlebot wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:47 pm Really liking this one, made doing slaughter maps with more difficult gameplay mods actually possible and sometimes really fun. Although the damage buff can get a bit out of hand if you aren't using a mod that scales enemy varieties up like Colorful Hell, DoomRLA, or Project Brutality.
Oh yeah. I do most of my testing with at minimum Champions, LDL, and Colourful Hell, or UV on mapsets that are normally way too hard for me; GB is intentionally a significant power increase for the player and it works best when you give the forces of hell a similar leg up.
One critique I have, though, is that the upgrades feel a bit limited in variety. Would be nice to have an upgrade to increase blast radius for explosive weapons, if possible. Or clip size upgrade for mods that use those, though I'm guessing that would be hard. I also often encounter situations where weapons don't have the option for upgrades that they ought to, like a mod's rocket launcher not having high velocity. I also wish certain upgrades weren't dependent on getting previous upgrades. Maybe we could have a toggle for allowing all upgrades to be available for all weapons at all times? Excluding the elemental ones, obviously, because they need the stacking mechanic to function. (Or do they?) Essentially removing the branching progression so you don't have to waste levels on upgrades you don't want just to get to one you do.
Gun Bonsai's core design principle of broad compatibility limits what it can do. Clip size, for example, is not something supported by gzDoom, it's something that each mod that uses it implements in a bespoke manner, so I can't add it as a generally compatible feature, only as separate compatibility shims specific to those mods. Blast radius requires me to be able to reliably tell which projectiles have a blast radius in the first place, which is harder than you might think.

If Fast Shots aren't showing up on a weapon you think they should be, please let me know what weapon (same goes for other upgrades) -- it might be that they are available and you just aren't lucky enough to roll them, but it might also be a problem with the code that figures out which upgrades a weapon can safely accept on the fly.

As for upgrade dependencies, they aren't widely used, although they also aren't all well documented.
(1) Elemental upgrades need the base upgrade first (and won't function without it) and the tier 2 upgrade second, and you can only pick one of the two tier 3 upgrades per element
(2) Picking an element for a weapon locks out all other elements until you reach the tier 3 upgrade for that element
(3) Piercing Shots requires either a weapon that already fires high-speed projectiles or a projectile weapon with two levels of High Velocity
(4) Piercing Shots is mutually exclusive with Bouncy Shots and Fragmentation
...and I think that's it? I'm considering loosening restriction (3) on Piercing Shots, too, if I can get this idea I have to make it "hit multiple enemies once each" rather than "hit one enemy for infinite damage". (Restriction (4) is there for technical reasons, not balance.) But apart from the elemental lockouts there aren't really any skill trees.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hope you don't mind me not contacting you about it, but i just suggested your mod as an addon for my newest release =)
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by 7HEPOW »

7HEPOW wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:29 pm Interestingly enough, I didn't encounter the sound bug on 0.10.4, but now on almost every upgrade on 0.10.5. Running GZD 4.11.3 on Linux. :D
Even more interesting: Sound works again no problem :D
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Yeah, the sound bug was a side effect of something I did to fix a freeze bug, which ended up breaking sound and not fixing the freeze. Hopefully both should be fixed for real now though! Pedipalps crossed.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:48 pm Hope you don't mind me not contacting you about it, but i just suggested your mod as an addon for my newest release =)
Not at all, thank you for the shout-out! Also, that mod looks pretty cool; I look forward to trying it out.

(I'm also pretty pumped about the Yamaha Overdrive mod you link; I love the YM2612 sound.)
TheVanessii

Re: Bugfix release: 0.10.6

Post by TheVanessii »

ToxicFrog wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:04 pm 0.10.6 is out, fixing the menu crash reported above and a few issues with Swiftness.
This is such a fun mod. Been playing it with Protocol Disposable + Project Malice. Gets really insane. Got a crash to console when exiting to the next level though so I decided to share it. I always have my log running. Dunno if this helps or not but I'll upload it here! :)

EDIT: Just realized this problem goes away once I remove my pistol start mod. Probably worth ignoring this crash then but I'll leave it here anyways XD

VM execution aborted: Invalid class FiveSeven in function call to SPAS15.StateFunction.1. SPAS15 expected
Called from TFLV_Upgrade_RapidFire.SpeedUp at GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/upgrades/rapidfire.zsc, line 11
Called from TFLV_Upgrade_RapidFire.Tick at GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/upgrades/rapidfire.zsc, line 23
Called from TFLV_Upgrade_UpgradeBag.Tick at GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/upgrades/upgradebag.zsc, line 9
Called from TFLV_PerPlayerStats.TickStats at GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/perplayerstats.zsc, line 440
Called from TFLV_PerPlayerStatsProxy.StateFunction.1 at GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/perplayerstatsproxy.zsc, line 29
Called from Inventory.Tick at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/inventory/inventory.zs, line 107
Called from weapon state SPAS15.1 in FiveSeven
Called from PSprite.SetState [Native]
Called from state TFLV_PerPlayerStatsProxy.1 in TFLV_PerPlayerStatsProxy
Called from Actor.SetState [Native]
Pastebin w/ full log: https://pastebin.com/W9BG720n
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

That stack trace is weird as hell! What pistol start mod are you using? My best guess here is that you were wielding an SPAS-15 with Rapid Fire on your way out of the level, the pistol start mod deleted it and replaced it with a Five-Seven, and Rapid Fire ended up trying to execute a psprite state from the former using the latter, or something like that.

Which definitely shouldn't happen, but I think I need to recreate it locally to figure out why it happens first.
TheVanessii

Post by TheVanessii »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:46 am That stack trace is weird as hell! What pistol start mod are you using? My best guess here is that you were wielding an SPAS-15 with Rapid Fire on your way out of the level, the pistol start mod deleted it and replaced it with a Five-Seven, and Rapid Fire ended up trying to execute a psprite state from the former using the latter, or something like that.

Which definitely shouldn't happen, but I think I need to recreate it locally to figure out why it happens first.
I was usin this one :)
Also just in case you wanna know the load order I was usin, it was this:

adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/_Main DOOM PWADs/doom_complete.pk3, 3325 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/Pistol Start/pistolstart.pk3, 6 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom/Xim-Doom3-world.pk3, 2232 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom/Xim-Doom3-props.pk3, 53 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/ProtocolDisposable1.1b.pk3, 737 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/TiltPlusPlus v1.65.pk3, 7 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/UniversalWeaponSway.pk3, 8 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/laser-sight-v0.6.pk3, 14 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/hitmarkers.pk3, 216 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/Project-Malice-Update-5.pk3, 14433 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/Live Reverb/LiveReverb.pk3, 5 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/AmmoDropper.pk3, 2 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/ultimate-custom-doom-v0.5.0.pk3, 64 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/10.5x-v0.10.0.pk3, 20 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/GunBonsai-0.10.6.pk3, 280 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/GunBonsai-0.10.6_darksound.pk3, 1 lumps
adding D:/Games/Doom/PWADs/autoautosave-v1.6.2.pk3, 204 lumps
TheVanessii

Post by TheVanessii »

Hahaha, this mod is pure chaos. Anyone playing I recommend having 10.5x on your game & bump up the enemy count every so often. Reaches absurd levels
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

TheVanessii wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:46 pm Hahaha, this mod is pure chaos. Anyone playing I recommend having 10.5x on your game & bump up the enemy count every so often. Reaches absurd levels
sounds like you need corruption cards and a good horde deck, for a nice progressive curve of chaos

Return to “Gameplay Mods”