Difference between Strife VE and original

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Casualfan

Difference between Strife VE and original

Post by Casualfan »

I bought strife and wanted to play it through gzdoom but noticed that the strife veteran edition wad was a lot bigger than the strife1 original wad. My question is, what are the differences between these two iwads? And does one of them work better with gzdoom than the other?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Difference between Strife VE and original

Post by leileilol »

IIRC, mostly lightmaps as there's a new, vavoomish lighting model for the new VE engine's hardware renderer. GZDoom doesn't care about this pre-calculated lighting data AFAIK.
RKD

Post by RKD »

You can play both versions (OG and VE) with GZDoom just fine. VE adds a new secret level, a new secret unlockable power-up and, iirc, a handful of bugfixes and stuff like that. Definitely worth to play VE.

I think you would go with OG if you wanted to play the few mods available made for Strife but I may be not entirely right and perhaps it's possible to play those with VE too, not sure.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Casualfan wrote:I bought strife and wanted to play it through gzdoom but noticed that the strife veteran edition wad was a lot bigger than the strife1 original wad. My question is, what are the differences between these two iwads? And does one of them work better with gzdoom than the other?
There are updated graphics (they went and did kind of the equivalent of the Sprite Fix project, but also for textures), widescreen graphics (the same as GZDoom's actually, from Nash's WidePix project), a few new levels (a new secret level, and three multiplayer CTF levels), updated/bugfixed stock levels (they removed a few deadlocks and restored the demo levels to a playable alternate campaign) and that lightmap feature.

GZDoom supports most of that, the only exceptions being the lightmaps and the CTF levels (there's no CTF mode in GZDoom after all).
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

Thanks for your help everyone!
Finder153
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Ultimate
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Finder153 »

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Strife VE uses lightmaps based off DLight from Kaiser.
Lightmaps are currently in development for GZDoom as ZDRay, and the Disdain game has a engine fork which enables lightmaps.

Safe to say, it looks great. Its especially an achievement considering we are still talking Doom tech here. Where lightmaps are the most normal thing in the world for Quake (Heck, it shipped with light.exe!) it is completely unique to Doom which uses a sector-based lighting model.

Return to “General”