War Rooster v1.3 (20/08/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: War Rooster v1.2 (UPDATED! 01/08/2022)

Post by openroadracer »

I just want to reiterate that 1) this mod is awesome and I love playing it; 2) I really enjoy how much firepower the play gets in this mod, especially the large number of automatics you can have; 3) that running a continuous play mod utterly destroys the balance of E2M8 where you face the Cyberdemon, because the M202 FLASH can just completely bulldoze the Cyberdemon before it has a chance to react; and 4) I still think it'd be a fair idea to not allow the player to have the upgrade weapons before they've found the weapons they'd replace.

I mean, I understand that going through the entirety of the first two episodes of the original DooM and systematically cleaning them out is a decent amount of work, but still. Showing up to E2M8 with the M202 is kinda silly, considering you won't find the regular RPG-7 that it replaces until E3M3.

And I think I have an idea why War Rooster would cause the wrong effects to pop up with certain texture replacement packs: War Rooster has its own terrain lump that determines how various flats react to being landed on, and it probably overrides any texture pack loaded before it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks once again! I hope i can get v1.3 done by next week, but i have done so little (buffed the M14, fixed sprite conflict issues, fixed small bugs...) that i don't think it is ready yet.

On the two last things (the idea of not being able to find the secret weapons before having the originals and the terrain effects): I'll see if i can try the idea of spawning original weapons first, although i'm not sure on the code results; as for the last: almost all my mods have a terrain lump, if not all of them. So i would like to ask you to try it with any of my other mods on the same combination you tried before (Kriegsland II, Nightshift, The Arcane Wanderer, Nightmare Logic...) to see if the same issue pops up.

Thanks for the feedback!
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:44 pm... Almost all my mods have a terrain lump, if not all of them. So i would like to ask you to try it with any of my other mods on the same combination you tried before (Kriegsland II, Nightshift, The Arcane Wanderer, Nightmare Logic...) to see if the same issue pops up.
Would Aracnocide work here? I know it's one of your older ones...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Probably yes, albeit i can't recall if Aracnocide uses the Enjay terrain definitions or any other.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Decided to do it with Ultra Crispy, since I just remembered I have it and it's more recent; it was doing the same thing with the circuitry flats bleeding as per War Rooster. Load order was:
  • GCV_UAC.pk3
  • autoautosave-v1.6.2.pk3
  • Xim-StarWarsProps.pk3
  • Xim-StarWarsTextures-v2.pk3
  • thyinterpic.wad(no idea why I left that in there, must have been rushing myself)
  • brightmaps.pk3
  • lights.pk3
  • FullBright.pk3
  • Doom Metal Pack Vol 4 modified v3.wad
  • warm-reception-v0.3.1.pk3
  • NC_Crushers.pk3
  • Rampancy_1.3.pk3
  • Ultra Crispy.pk3
  • UC-Trenchgun.pk3
  • BAC.pk3
  • precise-crosshair-v1.4.1.pk3
  • aim-assist_0.7.5.pk3
  • mXhairs_2.1.pk3
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well... i don't know what to do then LMAO

Terrain splashes are pretty much a thing since i started modding.

Maybe the best solution would be to find another terrain mod or delete the TERRAIN lump from inside the file.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:57 pmWell... i don't know what to do then LMAO

Terrain splashes are pretty much a thing since i started modding.

Maybe the best solution would be to find another terrain mod or delete the TERRAIN lump from inside the file.
At least I have Bitser... So basically, I just unzip the files with Bitser, delete the "TERRAIN" lump, repack as .ZIP, and run the mods? Sounds easy enough.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Is it possible to have the hallucinations pull from whatever monster mod you're using, rather than the default demons? Not sure how much coding work that'd be though, for example Project Malice monsters fully replacing everything so instead of a vanilla Reverent you'd see one of the mod variants.

Overall it's a great mod! I think my only comment is wanting more! More guns, maybe more gear like being able to set traps, etc.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sorry... not on my reach. To do that, the mod would need to detect what is replacong the chaingunner and place whatever actors are firing in there.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It's okay, was mostly just curious since I wasn't sure if monster packs straight up completely override/replace the original assets, or if they still sit in there unused, hence getting pulled up for the hallucinations. Making them scarier/creepier might be good though, like having them appear for a split second, making distorted noises, etc.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

I can't download the mod. I've tried to download it on Chrome and Edge but nothing works.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: War Rooster v1.3 (Updated! 20/08/2022)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Due to some future events (such as me getting vacations from work and some trips), i'll upload this rather short, but good update on War Rooster. MediaFire is been very troublesome for some users lately, so this new link was uploaded on MEGA (the only place i already had an account before, lol)

This update is more optimization and aesthetical more thn anything, but it'll be worth! There's still some work to do, so that'll need to be pushed to v1.4, whenever it releases. Flamethrower now carbonizes any enemy, new smoke effects that look better, toned down some heavy particles, fixed an annoying zoom bug, buffed the M14 damage, and now you can fire projectile weapons close to a wall and not getting owned!

Have fun!
Spoiler: Changelog
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

It's indeed a small but very welcome update, hope you have some good time off!
Rudiarius

Post by Rudiarius »

Bro, the reload on the m16 is so crisp it's palpable. Love this mod
sibullski

Post by sibullski »

I understand that the ssg replacement causes enemies to run away from you. My question is can I play this mod with a monster pack and have it work correctly? I don't know what other modifications this mod has made to monsters outside of the ssg replacement causing fear but would that mean that playing this with smooth doom monsters or vanilla plus doom randomizer cause the monster ai to act differently? or will it work the same way it would as if I were playing without war rooster?

Btw The weapons in this mod are so fun and the animations are truly impressive.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”