GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

Hello! i booted up GZDoom with OpenGL ES (vanilla) and the game crashes after launch, here is my crash report :
CrashReport.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AvzinElkein
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by AvzinElkein »

The newest version is 4.8.0; try again with that version.
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

AvzinElkein wrote:The newest version is 4.8.0; try again with that version.
Unfortunatley, there is no 32bit version, so i used the git build and OH MY GO- :
ohlord.png
this looks...... like nothing i can imagine it to be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48514
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Graf Zahl »

Frost-Core wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:The newest version is 4.8.0; try again with that version.
Unfortunatley, there is no 32bit version, so i used the git build and OH MY GO- :
32 bit support was retired for good after 4.7.1, there's no more guarantees that the source may compile.
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Frost-Core wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:The newest version is 4.8.0; try again with that version.
Unfortunatley, there is no 32bit version, so i used the git build and OH MY GO- :
32 bit support was retired for good after 4.7.1, there's no more guarantees that the source may compile.
I mean yeah, maintaining two builds can be really hard, however lets focus on the real issue :
Small screen size that makes the game unplayable, how can i fix it?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48514
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have no idea. Your hardware is rather exotic which will make tracking this down hard.
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

Graf Zahl wrote:I have no idea. Your hardware is rather exotic which will make tracking this down hard.
i had OpenGL 3.0 with this DLL that does software rendering of OpenGL/ES, and that happened, without it the game does the same crash :
https://fdossena.com/index.php?p=mesa/index.frag
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 13200
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Rachael »

32-bit, with a graphics unit that requires an emulator to even run the game? (It is comparable to the GeForce 7000 series, -ish, which is already well over a decade and a half old - it's almost as old as this forum, even)

This goes well beyond the range of what we can officially support. I'm surprised the thing even runs at all.

There isn't anything we can do here, unfortunately. If you cannot finagle your drivers to work with the GLES rendering engine properly, without wrappers or alternate renderers, there's literally nothing we can do, sorry.

You might have more luck running it with Linux at least, though.
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

Rachael wrote:32-bit, with a graphics unit that requires an emulator to even run the game? (It is comparable to the GeForce 7000 series, -ish, which is already well over a decade and a half old - it's almost as old as this forum, even)

This goes well beyond the range of what we can officially support. I'm surprised the thing even runs at all.

There isn't anything we can do here, unfortunately. If you cannot finagle your drivers to work with the GLES rendering engine properly, without wrappers or alternate renderers, there's literally nothing we can do, sorry.

You might have more luck running it with Linux at least, though.
I really just wanted to use GZDoom because LZDoom is not compatible with mods that work on GZDoom 4.8.0/4.7.1
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 13200
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Rachael »

You can try softpoly (vid_preferbackend 2) but that will require setting a very low scale, it won't run well at any resolution above 960x600, depending on the CPU if we're assuming one that is around 15 years old.
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:I have no idea. Your hardware is rather exotic which will make tracking this down hard.
It was also used on the Intel GMA 500/600 series of chips.

Which in recurrence are the modern equivalent of an S3 Virge in terms of rendering support. It stinks.

But the GPU should support the GLES 2.0 backend just fine - So that would be one facet to look into.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 13200
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Rachael »

Redneckerz wrote: But the GPU should support the GLES 2.0 backend just fine - So that would be one facet to look into.
Unfortunately, they were having trouble with that, too:
Frost-Core wrote: Unfortunatley, there is no 32bit version, so i used the git build and OH MY GO- :
ohlord.png
this looks...... like nothing i can imagine it to be
User avatar
Frost-Core
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Frost-Core »

Rachael wrote:
Redneckerz wrote: But the GPU should support the GLES 2.0 backend just fine - So that would be one facet to look into.
Unfortunately, they were having trouble with that, too:
Frost-Core wrote: Unfortunatley, there is no 32bit version, so i used the git build and OH MY GO- :
ohlord.png
this looks...... like nothing i can imagine it to be
Well it happened because of the DLL that is Mesa3D (a software renderer for gl) if i remove it the game crashes the same crash on 4.7.1
About softpoly i had terrible performance with it, really wish LZDoom could be more up to date with GZDoom's versions so most mods work
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.1 crashes on OpenGL ES (PowerVR SGX545)

Post by Redneckerz »

Rachael wrote:
Redneckerz wrote: But the GPU should support the GLES 2.0 backend just fine - So that would be one facet to look into.
Unfortunately, they were having trouble with that, too:
Then ill go with Intel GMA being a broken hodgepodge that can't even get its GLES on desktop support right. Out of everything Intel released in the IGP space, the PowerVR SGX ones rank among the lowest.

It takes hacked drivers to get stuff like UT99 going somewhat decently. A typical case of a low power GPU with all modern features, but barely enough juice to actually make use of 3D rendering - let alone the modern features.
Frost-Core wrote: Well it happened because of the DLL that is Mesa3D (a software renderer for gl) if i remove it the game crashes the same crash on 4.7.1
About softpoly i had terrible performance with it, really wish LZDoom could be more up to date with GZDoom's versions so most mods work
So you aren't even using GLES, but OpenGL softrendering through Mesa. No wonder it bunks.

LZDoom is semi-inactive.

Return to “Technical Issues”