DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal Extended build]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Your favorite Monster Pack for DoomRPG?

DoomRL Monsters Pack Beta 7.3
69%
Pandemonia Monsters v2.2
10%
Colourful Hell v0.98c
10%
DeHacked Attack 3.1
7%
Rampancy 1.3
3%

Total votes: 29

lucker42

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal Extended build]

Post by lucker42 »

Gidon_147 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:15 am Hello! First of all, I'm really really impressed at how far this pack has come in the last 2 months alone. The update rhythm is insane and so many things have been ironed out, from the formerly kinda confusing difficulty choices which are now clear as day, the compatibility additions and all these interactions fixed, to the launcher automatically helping with the load order, these are all those things i appreciate a LOT. This is a very impressive project and I'm digging it.

Now I have two questions before I update my game:

1) Is map difficulty tied to the Character or save file? When I load a saved character into a new game, will the maps start at Level one, or adapt accordingly to the character level?

2) Can I save my character, then update the game through launcher, and then reload the character into the updated game?

Thank you for your time and for this TC!
Thanks for the feedback. And I apologize for the long response.

1) The difficulty of the game consists of several things, next in order:
- map level (this parameter increases as you pass, but is not saved in the character save file, it must be adjusted when you start a new game (Starting Map Level) the same character. This is found in: DoomRPG Options -> Difficulty or DoomRPG Options -> DoomRL Monsters Options. This indicator is displayed in the Teleport in Outpost. You can check it there;
- Dangel Level (similar to the above, but this option applies only to modify DoomRL Monsters and Adaptive difficulty);
- Character Level (this option is tied to the character's save)
- The number of WADs that you want to pass (this affects the difficulty curve during the passage), adjustable in: DoomRPG Options -> Misc or DoomRPG Options -> DoomRL Monsters Options.

2) Yes.
TristanH

Post by TristanH »

This is a great mod. But I do have a problem... When I exit E1M8 my credits and modules are very low and I'm fatally injured. Is there a way to fix it?
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

Update 1.30f:

- balance fixes for DoomRL Monsters - now the monsters from Armageddon will not appear until the middle stage of the game (for Adaptive difficulty);
- update compatibility patch for Corruption Cards v4.3;
- minor balance changes;
- bug fixes (from the "issues" tab of GitHub).

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
TristanH wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm This is a great mod. But I do have a problem... When I exit E1M8 my credits and modules are very low and I'm fatally injured. Is there a way to fix it?
So the character dies after e1m8?
dinopoke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by dinopoke »

Just signed up to say that this modpack is amazing. Really having a lot of fun with it. I was wondering if it was possible to add compatibility with Shades of Doom? I was hoping to play it with LegenDoom as well. There is compatibility with it and the base DoomRL Arsenal. I find that DoomRL Arsenal Monster Pack doesn't seem to have a lot of enemies unless you play on the higher difficulties.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

Update 1.30g:

- added Arena Transport;
- added new arena map (thanks to Demiosis);
- Increased starting cap for Rocket Ammo;
- Increased Rocket Ammo capacity for Demolitionist;
- minor bugs fixes.

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
dinopoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:41 am Just signed up to say that this modpack is amazing. Really having a lot of fun with it. I was wondering if it was possible to add compatibility with Shades of Doom? I was hoping to play it with LegenDoom as well. There is compatibility with it and the base DoomRL Arsenal. I find that DoomRL Arsenal Monster Pack doesn't seem to have a lot of enemies unless you play on the higher difficulties.
Perhaps in the future, when I have more free time.
clumsyd
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by clumsyd »

Hello. This modpack is amazing, been playing for >100 hours and counting.
Here's some observations, potentially obsolete. I prefer playing conservatively, with all settings on default, adaptive difficulty. No natural stat leveling.
- harder wads get easier, and the start is always the hardest. It was especially evident in earlier versions when monsters barely dropped any ammo. Now the ammo drops are way more generous, but when you kill hordes of monsters like in slaughterfest, you just get way overpowered quickly. Tons of cheesy boss enemies that can't even reach you can get you dozens of aug items and modules. Large piles of ammo and items, like in slaughterfest yet again, can get you more turret parts and modpacks, even though you might not even need them anymore. The mod kind of falls apart in slaughter-type wads, and works best in more modest mapsets.
- (seeming?) lack of build diversity. It seems that the mathematically best option is to equalize every stat, and it's just the class that makes a difference. I never used the summons, used the attack skills just a few times, and my most used skills were Magnetize and Enviro-shield. Sometimes Heal and Recall* in the beginning. Perhaps the skills themselves should be buffed, but at a larger module cost and with level / Energy stat requirement? Maybe add a difference in starting stats for each class, or add a "sub-class" selection for that in the beginning, like the races in TES? If there's a way to get a solid "summoner build" for example, let me know. And the turret... I found it useful back when the ammo was super scarce, but now after a 10 hour long playthrough I can't get anything at all out of it. I end up stockpiling just about 100-150 turret parts in a single megawad (with Luck constantly upped), that's not enough, and I tend to reset my character every time because...
- ...the time it takes to save the game get ridiculous over time. It gets unbearable after 5-15 hours of "total time", depending on the wad, and getting a ~5x more powerful PC didn't solve it. Preserving the character is all cool but it would be LOVELY to preserve the map completion state as well. Has it been implemented? I started a lengthy playthrough after updating a month ago and still haven't finished the wad, so not planning to update for now.
- is it just me or the stims got really rare, and less useful too? Things used to be way more difficult a couple years ago, the stims were pretty much essential and all over the place.
- thank god the modpack limit bug was fixed, it was a huge game changer.
- there were some texture bugs, even in IWADs. It was most evident on plutonia map08. Maybe caused by Lexicon, maybe caused by wrong load order.
dinopoke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by dinopoke »

lucker42 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:30 am
dinopoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:41 am Just signed up to say that this modpack is amazing. Really having a lot of fun with it. I was wondering if it was possible to add compatibility with Shades of Doom? I was hoping to play it with LegenDoom as well. There is compatibility with it and the base DoomRL Arsenal. I find that DoomRL Arsenal Monster Pack doesn't seem to have a lot of enemies unless you play on the higher difficulties.
Perhaps in the future, when I have more free time.
Looking into it, it seems like Shades of Doom is just a cosmetic mod. I hoped for something that added new mechanics. You can ignore my request. :P

VDP-MonsterRandomizer adds a lot of new stuff but apparently, it's quite unstable with DoomRL Arsenal. I'll try out Pandemonia Monsters and DeHacked Attack instead.
Imp Hunter

Post by Imp Hunter »

I think there's a sprite conflit on the Harvester on Pandemonium. His fireballs show some shield pickup sprites.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”