Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hands of Necromancy [Demo available!]

Post by Rachael »

The Steam version of the demo has been updated.

I'll be releasing an update for the non-steam version, soon.

Note: On the steam version, if you open the properties, under "Betas", you can switch to the "save-compat-2022-06-02" - if you are in the middle of a save this will allow you (temporarily) to continue from that save. These branches are a stopgap for the updates breaking save games, but they are removed quickly.

Code: Select all

- Increased power of the Tornado Spell. Enemies on the ground will be killed faster than before.
- New behavior for Ring of Ice. When hitting an enemy, ice shots will be thrown around the target for a short distance, potentially hitting other targets.
- Reduced ammo from pickups for Ring of Ice and Tornado Spell from 5 (small) and 15 (large) to 3 (small) and 12 (large).
- Max ammo decreased to 50 from 100 for Ring of Ice and Tornado Spell.
- Striking enemies with the Magic Sword now turns the player toward the target.
- Enemies will be stunned less often when attacked (especially golems).
- Increased HP of Cold Breath (Ice Golem).
- Removed some extraneous proprs and elements from some maps
- Fixes for textures, sound volume, and gameplay bugs
- Engine update

Issued planned for fix before Release v1.0
- Text scaling problem in the Quest Journal
- Texture seam problem in map05
- R & T too similar in game font
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

"- Reduced ammo from pickups for Ring of Ice and Tornado Spell from 5 (small) and 15 (large) to 3 (small) and 12 (large)."
Sorry, i missed with the number, its 4 and not 3 for the small ammo

I played the whole game again with this balance, it seems to work, enjoy!
RKD

Post by RKD »

Did a quick complete run on normal to check how this new update goes:
  • Weapons:
  • New max ammo for ice/tornado and their pickups work really well. Previous max of 100 was unnecessarily too much. Small pickups could even give 3, probably. Didn't run out of ammo once with either weapon, although it's expected the first hub to be generous with supplies.
  • In practice, I didn't found any substantial difference between the new Ice ring and the previous one, tbh. I don't mean its new extra FX is pointless, not at all. It's a nice touch, indeed. It's just that there is almost no spot in the current maps where it can shine its small AoE effect (the chapel-like room with an ambush of 7-8 golems in the Factory is one, though). I guess there will be cluster of enemies in subsequent levels where it could be the star.
  • As of now, ice and tornado weapons are still very similar in function (both are best suited against enemies in a straight line). Exactly same ammount of ammo in respective pickups/max ammo don't help to separate them much gameplay-wise, imo. New ice ring is a change in the right direction, though. Keep at it! :D

Maps: (I reckon these are minor nitpicks...)
  • Torch secret in Factory now works as intended but I gotta say it looked more rock-ish before.
  • New Iron key door has a plaque on the side but maybe said plaque would look nicer if it were above the door instead? Btw, its linedef doesn't appear colored in the automap like other key doors.

Sounds:
  • I may be wrong but I had the impression that clacking sounds of zombie thrown bones were louder. Like, very.
  • Ozymandias mentioned sounds with a typo in their extensions. They are in sounds/cultist/collision, still in this update.

Broken stuff?:
  • In Farmhouse, this door to the right of the screenshot gives an "unknown script" message. I'm pretty sure it said "This door opens elsewhere" before:
  • In Lost Village, for some reason I got a 99/96 monsters count. No idea what caused it:
In a sidenote (not really reporting anything) I didn't attempt to melee an ice golem before and its "melee" attack is pretty cool. What's even more cool is that morphing into snake counters said attack because you're smaller. That's pretty clever. It's really fun to discover new strats even when this is still in demo state. :lol:
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Yeah, in map02, stuff is fixed!
Maybe small ammo could be 3 instead of 4
I will see with the Ring of Ice, yeah it was maybe a bit too short for the multiples projectiles
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

.oga is a valid extension for sound files, this is not a typo, there is nothing to fix with them.
RKD

Post by RKD »

Rachael wrote:.oga is a valid extension for sound files, this is not a typo, there is nothing to fix with them.
My bad then. It was just strange that all sounds are ogg except for those. :oops:
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

One thing that I find a bit confusing is that the blue potion health vial shares the same colour as the ammo counter, so I keep mistaking it for ammunition.

I think it would be better if those vials were red instead - or at the very least a different colour.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:One thing that I find a bit confusing is that the blue potion health vial shares the same colour as the ammo counter, so I keep mistaking it for ammunition.

I think it would be better if those vials were red instead - or at the very least a different colour.
We will see
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Rachael wrote:OpenGL ES is not officially supported. You are missing features using that backend. We did not actively block the option since it does still technically run, and doesn't impact the experience in any meaningful way (a few objects are just less pretty is all) - but it's on the same status as running Windows 11 on an 11 year old machine. We will not actively suggest using that backend in any official capacity.
Yeah that's basically why i was asking - Its there, it just makes things less pretty.

I'd wager this would be a different tale if HON used some of the more liberal GZDoom features, like physically based stuff.

But since it is there, you know that someone is going to test the waters and see from which hardware it can run - In contrast to pre-GZDoom builds that didn't had an GLES renderer. Back there, the minimum requirement was just OpenGL 3.3, but 4.5 was preferred. So i understand the team not promoting the option - I am just glad its there for the more adventurous. :lol: So basically what Graf said.

PS: I mentioned to one of your colleague at DW that i could review the game - I still review stuff for a games site, after all.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

We will see to give you a key maybe at the 20, its soon!
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Emmanuelexe wrote:We will see to give you a key maybe at the 20, its soon!
Would be appreciated!
Proydoha

Post by Proydoha »

I've played updated demo

Minor nitpicks:
Spoiler:
Other than that I had fun exploring the maps and figuring out secrets.
The fact that all enemies have a custom sprite for a frozen state is very cool!
Fish has coolest sprites overall in my opinion.
Will look towards full release!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Will the game be released on itch.io?
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

First on steam then we will check for GOG, later on the other platforms yes :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”