Lost Junker v6.2 - Roguelike Stalker/Post-Apocalypse Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
thugsta

Lost Junker v6.2 - Roguelike Stalker/Post-Apocalypse Mod

Post by thugsta »

Story
You hear playing over the radio that a wormhole opened up after one of the major blowouts in the vicinity that leads to new places beyond the imagination. Lots have already gone in to explore facilities, ruins, jungles, cities... just worlds upon worlds. You heard all the stories so you think to try your luck too. You head to your hidden stash spot and collect what you have placed being your trusty gun, a shot up broken down armor, bandages and a pair of night vision glasses with a chemical protection suit. Oh and a flashlight that you almost forget. You head for the wormhole as quick as can be.
Spoiler: Info

FEATURES
+Atmospheric ambience like distant screams, gunfire, wind, thunder and radios based off stalker/others.
+Atmospheric visuals things like radiation gas, clouds, fog, lights, display/world-fx
+Artifacts, they come in colors to help you know from a far what they are, they will help you in battles. Scavenge them
+Anomalies , use your bolts to counter these and erase them for ease of travels. Can hurt you and them.
+Blood loss, random attacks might make you bleed. You'll need either a bandage or medical gel to stop the bleeding and heal. Other healing gear is just for your wounds, they range from different capabilities so use them in the right situations.
+Weight system. So Inventory management is needed as you got limited space, pick up and throw things based on your situation, some items are weightless.
+A flashlight that you can tune to see more around you or further in front. Has dynamic lighting, creates shadows etc. Random chance for your flashlight to be stuck on/off for the map and has options if it's detected by enemies too.
+Rogue spawns to make places feel more alive with gear drops, guns, items etc. some decorations also to rid maps of the emptiness feeling.
+Weapon upgrades via toolboxes scattered around.
+Extended Arsenal. Such as a Quick Knife, Grenades, Crowbars (find the other crowbar for a small easter egg message), and last a Punch if all else fails.
+Human Hostages roam around. so watch your fire and don't shoot or you'll will pay the price killing these valuable friends. So find them and send them home.
+New Monsters/Creatures, some i will tell you about others will be a surprise...the Bloodsucker:- Can be invisible and pop out at any moment from anywhere, Zombies:- Best bash these guys with your crowbar, Boars:- These annoying guys want to chew your ankles, so kill him and eat him instead.
+New Door Mechanics. They now open faster and stay open, you can close them by using them again.
+Tactical Enemies. They are harder and smarter now. They can also open doors/walls too. Some can even get annoyed and others can howl causing you/environment to shake
+Get a Grip. You can now climb reachable ledges or even grip walls for a limited time. This can be abused so it's up to you if you want to break levels/map.
+New difficulties. 3 are the standard Easy/Normal/Hard while the other 4 are tactical based where you need to plan your attacks, find and peek/shoot from cover, use meds or get shredded. (Extremely hard difficulty some of these are so be warned, if you like stalker misery mod you'll love this. (*Best played and recommended with the divider mod addon*)
+Tense Soundtrack to add to the atmosphere that this is no DoomGuy anymore, your life is on the line. Removed to shrink the size. I recommend D64ifier Music instead.
+New blood styled after a hybrid of Duke 3D and Brutal v20 Blood
+Randomized bullet hole decal effects can now be seen
+New Armors. There is new a chance to find armors scavenged from anywhere of all sorts and styles with different protection quality. They will add to whatever armor you have on.
+Power Glove. With this you can now grab basically everything now and move it aside or set up barrels to be in position for a chain explosion, creating your own cover, grab items to move them closer if you'll be in need of it soon. The possibilities are endless.
+Load-Out Classes. Select to play as different character's which have their own load-outs/starting gear.
+Searchable. You can search the selection of dead for stash they might have.
+Food. Animals can now be killed and carved into edible food for health.
+Lost Objectives. An extra dynamic element has been added that alternates the loop of the game a little. You must find the Lost Artifact to be able to kill the one who possess the Demonic Emerald, without it you shall never return home but be warned of their new power.

Based on v5
Spoiler: OLD Preview

Downloads can be found HERE

Thanks go out to
Vostyok and co, Nash, m8f, Hey Doomer, Marisa, Sangelothi, Blackmore1014, Caligari87, RastaManGames, CaptainNurbles, XLightningStormL, The Philosopher, HorrormovieRei, dodopod, JPLeBreton, BrettBotTheCryonaut, DenisBelmondo, jpalomo, chronoteeth (voice actor), iamthemithras2, DecemberMan

- I am sure i missed people from memory to thank so please let me know :wub:
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
I created this mashup texture pack that turned out quite well for this mod. It is a mix of Doom3/Duke3D/Doom64, it gives a good atmosphere that this could be places now. I made it separate from the main just in case you want to use it with something else or a different texture pack entirely. Shout-outs goes to all of them talented people.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ppifvse ... P.pk3/file

Recommendation Add-ons
D64ifier Music
Critical Shots
Hitmarkers
Enemy Multiplier/Divider
Last edited by thugsta on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 40 times in total.
thugsta

Re: Lost Junker - A Roguelike Stalker/Fallout Mod

Post by thugsta »

Mod has been updated, few bug fixes and a new Monster thanks to HorrormovieRei & The Philosopher. Watch your back with these guys :twisted: Also since this is inspired by Stalker i have added a little easter egg based on the campfires thanks to RastaManGames. Enjoy

First post updated with title picture, more features, credits.
Last edited by thugsta on Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
lu88lu

Post by lu88lu »

do you have any map recommendations?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Very nice, I've always wanted a STALKER inspired mod!

Main thing I've noticed is the mod seems pretty laggy, even when trying to turn off the various extra effects. Is it possible to turn off all the filters, etc. if I want to use my own DarkDoom or something? The biggest lag I was getting was mostly associated with the flashlight, once I started using my own separate flashlight mod the framerate mostly stabilized.

For gameplay, I think the basic zombies that can revive should be a bit more randomized, with a chance of no rez at all, once, twice, three times, etc. instead of always three times. It works that way in STALKER, yeah, but you can also knife them to the head when they're down to insta-kill so it evens out.

EDIT: Just noticed you can melee the zombie corpses to get rid of them, that helps!
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

-Ghost- wrote:I've always wanted a STALKER inspired mod!
Try Ghoul Dungeon 2, it's Stalker inspired too but has it's own maps.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

-Ghost- wrote:Very nice, I've always wanted a STALKER inspired mod!

Main thing I've noticed is the mod seems pretty laggy, even when trying to turn off the various extra effects. Is it possible to turn off all the filters, etc. if I want to use my own DarkDoom or something? The biggest lag I was getting was mostly associated with the flashlight, once I started using my own separate flashlight mod the framerate mostly stabilized.

For gameplay, I think the basic zombies that can revive should be a bit more randomized, with a chance of no rez at all, once, twice, three times, etc. instead of always three times. It works that way in STALKER, yeah, but you can also knife them to the head when they're down to insta-kill so it evens out.

EDIT: Just noticed you can melee the zombie corpses to get rid of them, that helps!
Strange it is laggy for you as i get no lag what so ever, but then again this is a high end mod so your computer might not be up to par as GZ is very cpu intensive. I'll look into making the lite version lighter or make another altogether with things striped out but that will ruin alot of the mood in my opinion. I'll have a look to figure something out :)

The basic zombies are randomized of having no rez and three rez only, no in-between but yes i am glad you figured out you can just knife their bodies to end them permanently or you can even gib them with a nade when there walking around to end them straight away :mrgreen:
lu88lu wrote:

I think stuff based or feel like real places are the best personally. Have a try with Doom 2 Rebuild It - HERE. Plays very well with this and feels great too.
axredneck wrote:
Of course, great and unique gaming related stuff come from Eastern European countries. I wished they finished it though as it could of been HUGE. The next 2 big projects i am looking forward to is Wasteland and Escape from Doom Tarkov, i hope they get completed soon :wub:
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

thugsta wrote:I wished they finished it though as it could of been HUGE.
Currently developer of Ghoul Dungeon 2 is in army.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

axredneck wrote:
thugsta wrote:I wished they finished it though as it could of been HUGE.
Currently developer of Ghoul Dungeon 2 is in army.
I know but i think he said he will abandon it. Anyway if he continues i wish him the best of luck
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

thugsta wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:Very nice, I've always wanted a STALKER inspired mod!

Strange it is laggy for you as i get no lag what so ever, but then again this is a high end mod so your computer might not be up to par as GZ is very cpu intensive. I'll look into making the lite version lighter or make another altogether with things striped out but that will ruin alot of the mood in my opinion. I'll have a look to figure something out :)

The basic zombies are randomized of having no rez and three rez only, no in-between but yes i am glad you figured out you can just knife their bodies to end them permanently or you can even gib them with a nade when there walking around to end them straight away :mrgreen:
lu88lu wrote:

I think stuff based or feel like real places are the best personally. Have a try with Doom 2 Rebuild It - HERE. Plays very well with this and feels great too.
axredneck wrote:
Of course, great and unique gaming related stuff come from Eastern European countries. I wished they finished it though as it could of been HUGE. The next 2 big projects i am looking forward to is Wasteland and Escape from Doom Tarkov, i hope they get completed soon :wub:

Thanks, after playing around with the settings I'm pretty sure it's the flashlight. I was able to run Hellbound and Doom 3 E1M1 relatively lag free. Is it possible to look into a different flashlight? BDBE has a good one, and there are a few other more performance friendly ones floating around. Trust me, it ain't a hardware issue lol, I've got an i7 and a 1070.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

-Ghost- wrote: Thanks, after playing around with the settings I'm pretty sure it's the flashlight. I was able to run Hellbound and Doom 3 E1M1 relatively lag free. Is it possible to look into a different flashlight? BDBE has a good one, and there are a few other more performance friendly ones floating around. Trust me, it ain't a hardware issue lol, I've got an i7 and a 1070.
I trust you but not all i7's are made equal, especially if it's close to ~10years. I am using the BDBE flashlight, so that won't help you.

I have gutted a few things things like the dynamic darkness (weird if so as i think this is lightweight compared to DarkDoomZ) along with the BDBE Flashlight so you can test and see how that goes before i make an updated release figuring out what needs tweaking :)

Check your PM.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

Excellent mod! Absolutely nails that post-apocalyptic atmosphere with the lighting and textures, and every fight feels tense. Good stuff!
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

New update, version 3 is now up. Also has an extra 'max' mod for the most atmospheric lighting effects. Most fps should buffer out after the first map or so when things are cached.

Changelog:-
*Bugfixes, optimizations and balance changes
*Tried to make things to make sense, so things you expect to drop ammo will and things that can be eaten will, while also obviously still "gamey" to keep it fun.
*New blood styled after a hybrid of Duke 3D and Brutal v20 Blood
*Randomized bullet holes/marks effects can now be seen
*New lighting effects across all versions, but some effects are disabled depending on the file chosen. Done for extra performance reasons
*Footstep sounds, light and heavy footsteps can be heard when you walk
*Random chance for your flashlight to be stuck on/off for the map (bizarre behavior due to the wormhole Anomaly you jumped through after all)
*New Armors. There is new a chance to find armors scavenged from anywhere of all sorts and styles with different protection quality. These are rare drops

Downloads

Enjoy.
Last edited by thugsta on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Lost Junker v3 - A Roguelike Stalker/Fallout Mod

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

Okay, I have tried playing v2 (To poor effect) then I just recently tried the lite version of v3 to see how well it would play in at least vanilla Doom 2.

Very cool ambition for it's rogue-lite-ish spirit for it's mehanics, but I do have some points to bring to the table.

After shutting off a large number of effects, it does run decently well which is nice, however I would like to be able to turn the darkness settings off entirely, as being more or less forced to run around with the night amp goggles on is a bit of an extreme that hurts the purpose of dark atmospheric lighting, so I'd rather just be able to fine tune the settings so the lights are only mildly darkened, or just turn that thing off altogether so I don't feel forced to just use the goggles most of the time, (I should elaborate that I can't really use the flashlight as shifting the render mode slows my laptop a little too much).

The random stuff is ultimately too annoying in the long run; it's frustrating enough that when I start a map, I could readily have some damaging phenomena kill me INSTANTLY at the beginning of a map, and being forced to restart the game until I don't have a lethal phenom at the start is more then a bit aggravating.
Now I am pretty clueless at zscripting, but from what discussions I have read on various tricks, if you can keep a spawn-free zone around the player's starting point (About 400 tiles maybe) that would make this much more tolerable.

Speaking of random stuff killing you at the start, I strongly recommend the rogue turrets are scripted to only fire on players that should them, or maybe give them a startup time of about 30 seconds on the start of the map before they are active, because they are another problem that can very easily kill players rapidly at the start of various maps that plop down random items near the starting point.

Another point on the spawns; though I appreciate those static items that you can walk through, those that are impassable can easily spawn in small narrow passageways and block important progress or critical items. This is especially problematic of those spawning in vertical tunnels at the bottom, such as a light fixture spawning in the middle of the block right below the rightmost vertical-drop passage in the Underhalls map which leads to the blue key.

That worm is a nightmare X.x. I can appreciate a random boss brought in for the purpose of messing with the player, however I suggest that the script that worm or such foes has it spawn in after map 1 at least so the player won't find it completely impossible to continue on past map 1 in any wad. This is actually a critical point for tougher difficulties where the player will already be gritting their teeth to survive just the normal enemies on average on the second or last difficulty level with most maps.

One more point: I know this may sound counter-productive for the intention of the mod, but I do really think the player should be able to choose to start with a little extra item to fine tune the challenge of some crazier maps, such as just an extra block of pistol ammo, maybe a shotgun with 2-3 shells, a gas grenade etc, just a smidgen of starting leverage, somewhat in the spirit of specific options in the mod High Noon Drifter, which allow the player to start up with a few different items to fine tune their beginning.

All this said, I really do love the ambition and craziness this mod strives for, as it is atmospheric even with weakened darkness effects (Even with goggles the other sounds ,enemies and such are pretty good), and the challenge in general feels solidly made. I had played a few levels and had a good time, but it needs a little practical shaving so to speak to round out the experience
zeboz

Post by zeboz »

could you make a version of this mod with weapons/some mechanics only or? i really liked this mod and atmosphere in general but most of these props and effects just makes maps really ugly and laggy with all kind of random bs all around (like some trees coming out of concret ground and random chairs, lamps, stalactites in the middle of nowhere one close to the other like someone just pickup a bucket full of props and spilled it all around the map)
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

Firstly, thank you for the reply and suggestions.
After shutting off a large number of effects, it does run decently well which is nice, however I would like to be able to turn the darkness settings off entirely, as being more or less forced to run around with the night amp goggles on is a bit of an extreme that hurts the purpose of dark atmospheric lighting, so I'd rather just be able to fine tune the settings so the lights are only mildly darkened, or just turn that thing off altogether so I don't feel forced to just use the goggles most of the time, (I should elaborate that I can't really use the flashlight as shifting the render mode slows my laptop a little too much).
You can disable the darkness by turning all the settings to 0. The darkness strength does nothing with the other options zeroed out.
The random stuff is ultimately too annoying in the long run; it's frustrating enough that when I start a map, I could readily have some damaging phenomena kill me INSTANTLY at the beginning of a map, and being forced to restart the game until I don't have a lethal phenom at the start is more then a bit aggravating.
Now I am pretty clueless at zscripting, but from what discussions I have read on various tricks, if you can keep a spawn-free zone around the player's starting point (About 400 tiles maybe) that would make this much more tolerable.

Speaking of random stuff killing you at the start, I strongly recommend the rogue turrets are scripted to only fire on players that should them, or maybe give them a startup time of about 30 seconds on the start of the map before they are active, because they are another problem that can very easily kill players rapidly at the start of various maps that plop down random items near the starting point.

I have near had the anomalies spawn on me basically like ever if that is what your talking about? it front of me or beside me yes but you just got to keep your eyes peeled better for them.
Yes that is annoying sometimes due to the randomness of the mod or map your playing, i suggest using the 'warm welcome' mod to eliminate startup annoyances and having better starting radius that way as i can't control what spawns on every map as it's part of the rogue spawn system, it just is what it is. If i make them to only when fired at they will too easily be avoided also. Using this addon mod will do exactly what you want though so i highly recommend it (link is in 1st post btw)
Another point on the spawns; though I appreciate those static items that you can walk through, those that are impassable can easily spawn in small narrow passageways and block important progress or critical items. This is especially problematic of those spawning in vertical tunnels at the bottom, such as a light fixture spawning in the middle of the block right below the rightmost vertical-drop passage in the Underhalls map which leads to the blue key.
Yes i have not been super happy about these but i don't know what to do either, as if i make them not solid, then enemies will shot though them and you won't clearly see them but having them solid they sometimes get in the way. Currently i am again using an addon i made to eliminate this issue until i can fix (if i can in the right way) this problem. Download the addon Spacetime from the 1st post to past these problem objects.
That worm is a nightmare X.x. I can appreciate a random boss brought in for the purpose of messing with the player, however I suggest that the script that worm or such foes has it spawn in after map 1 at least so the player won't find it completely impossible to continue on past map 1 in any wad. This is actually a critical point for tougher difficulties where the player will already be gritting their teeth to survive just the normal enemies on average on the second or last difficulty level with most maps.

One more point: I know this may sound counter-productive for the intention of the mod, but I do really think the player should be able to choose to start with a little extra item to fine tune the challenge of some crazier maps, such as just an extra block of pistol ammo, maybe a shotgun with 2-3 shells, a gas grenade etc, just a smidgen of starting leverage, somewhat in the spirit of specific options in the mod High Noon Drifter, which allow the player to start up with a few different items to fine tune their beginning.
I have not seen that worm in awhile lol you must have some bad luck with the spawns. Unfortunately with my rogue spawning system it is either on or off but i can change it's rarity so that might be in order some-what. You do get good gear from killing these so maybe just it's spawn i will need to look at. Thanks for the tip.

I have no idea how to do loadouts per-se but maybe i can do this as player class so they have different starting gear. Good idea, thanks for this.

Look for an update hopefully soon. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”