[WIP] Ultima Underworld level conversion

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [WIP] Ultima Underworld level conversion

Post by Gez »

Man I really didn't remember that hidden feature with musical boulders in Ultima Underworld! :p
Sir Robin
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sir Robin »

Gez wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:01 pm Man I really didn't remember that hidden feature with musical boulders in Ultima Underworld! :p
It started as an easter egg, I wanted it so that if someone tried to pickup a rock it would shout "I wanna rock!" Then I thought, well, what if someone tries to wind a piece of string around that rock? And things just kept getting sillier from there.

Seriously though, I want to expand UW's the music system. I don't know if I want to go full-on rhythm game, but maybe something more like Zelda Ocrina of Time where you learn a few different songs that are useful in a few different places.

Funny thing about the video, I wanted to demo the more serious features I've been working on, the doors, containers, and passages. But i started with the "fun" stuff, poking grates and talking to mimics, never got around to the actual topics I set out to. Aw well, I'll hit it in another video.

The grates were another snowball effect item - it started with me wanting to hide some random things in them (grates in UW were purely decorative and none that I know of were interactive). Then I noiced many are on thin walls between rooms, I got the idea that you can't reach something and have to poke it through and then find it on the other side. Then I thought, well, what if some are mimics? And what if they swear at you when you talk to them? Yeah...
Sir Robin
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sir Robin »

Sir Robin wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:27 am I just dropped a new video demo of some of the new features. It's linked in the first post, and also here:
A list of features shown or mentioned in the video, and teased for a future video:

Features Shown or Mentioned:
  1. Default Actions
  2. Actions are Z-Sensitive
  3. Action: Look
  4. Action: Use
  5. Active Pickup
  6. Action: Pickup
  7. (mentioned) Encumbrance
  8. Action: Talk
  9. Timed Actions
  10. Crouch to Alt-Use
  11. Actions are Distance-Sensitive