How I deal with multible mods and wads

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
User avatar
DooMag
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by DooMag »

This is just me asking for some input on method I personally use to manage multiple mods and wads when I want them to all be uniquely configured.

Like most people I use ZDL to manage my mods and wads. When I decided that I wanted to separate save files and settings between them I just copy pasted the gzdoom source port directory, renamed it and then added it to zdl as another source port. Sure it takes up space all for the sake of having a separate ini file and a few save files but it worked. What do you guys think? Am I just being lazy?
User avatar
Kappes Buur
 
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:19 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by Kappes Buur »

I used to do a similar thing in times long gone, now I have the ini file just the way I want to play any game.

Instead of filling your drive with multiple copies of GZDoom you could create a bat file to take care of the housekeeping of the various setups you prefer for a specific pwad.

Whatever works for you is good.
User avatar
DooMag
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by DooMag »

Kappes Buur wrote:I used to do a similar thing in times long gone, now I have the ini file just the way I want to play any game.

Instead of filling your drive with multiple copies of GZDoom you could create a bat file to take care of the housekeeping of the various setups you prefer for a specific pwad.

Whatever works for you is good.
It did occur to me to use multiple ini files but gzdoom is tiny and the whole thing can be managed with ZDL. How do you made GDood use different ini files anyway. I tried -somefile.ini but it didn't work.
User avatar
Kappes Buur
 
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:19 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by Kappes Buur »

DooMag wrote:..... How do you made GDood use different ini files anyway. I tried -somefile.ini but it didn't work.
The default ini file would be gzdoom-<username>.ini. If a certain pwad needed a specific ini file setup, it could be saved as gzdoom-<username>.ini.<specific pwad name>.

Then you have these options,
  • juggle the ini file names by renaming them (which affords some time to do)
  • create various autoexec files with the specific -config <xyz>.cfg and start GZDoom from the command line specifying the appropriate autoexec file.(also needs some time)
  • create a batch file for each setup (once set up it is easy)
But whatever, use what works for you.
User avatar
DooMag
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by DooMag »

Thanks I think I prefer using multiple but it was helpful of you to share an alternative method.
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26441
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: How I deal with multible mods and wads

Post by Enjay »

I have never actually messed around with mod-specific configurations, but doesn't ZDL allow tailoring of ini files (for itself, not just for the ports it is linking to) and then loading different ini configurations for different mods?
Kappes Buur wrote:
  • create various autoexec files with the specific -config <xyz>.cfg and start GZDoom from the command line specifying the appropriate autoexec file.(also needs some time)
You don't even need to start GZDoom from the command line. ZDL allows you to add things to the command line directly from its main window.

Image

Return to “General”