Brutal Doom Platinum v3.1 release! GZ focused Brutal Fork!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shadow_Wulfe

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.1 release! GZ focused brutal for

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

This one is great, but is there any way to keep it from overwriting Wad specific monsters?
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Shadow_Wulfe wrote:This one is great, but is there any way to keep it from overwriting Wad specific monsters?

For dehacked, not at the moment
For anything else, just load the wad after platinum
Shadow_Wulfe

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

Fair enough.

Is there any option to turn off the rescuable marines? One of the roughest things across all of the BD versions is babysitting Leeroy Jenkins and Co.
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

Shadow_Wulfe wrote:Fair enough.

Is there any option to turn off the rescuable marines? One of the roughest things across all of the BD versions is babysitting Leeroy Jenkins and Co.
Click on "Brutal Doom Options", go to "level options", and set Rescuable Marines to "No".
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

the download link for the neural upscale addon is broken on moddb :(
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

ok I noticed a bug

when u bind Shift to run, it does show the new run animation

however im using a Dualshock 4 to play, when I bind run to L3, nothing happens. cant even run.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

the download link for the neural upscale addon is broken on moddb :(
I managed to download it by going to the preview video posted and following the second link in the description that goes to Mega.
however im using a Dualshock 4 to play, when I bind run to L3, nothing happens. cant even run.
Can confirm this, sprinting does NOT work with controller inputs.
Nimlouth
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Nimlouth »

Hey, I played through the whole starter pack with this and it is AWESOME! The changes are subtle but super effective, it really feels like a way more clean/polished BD overall. I do have some feedback, but please take anything I say with a massive grain of salt, you're doing incredible work!

So, first off, I think the SSG shooting sounds are kinda... idk... too loud? But in the sense that it doesn't feel as "punchy" to use. The assault rifle and normal shotgun i.e are *chef kiss*, but shooting the SSG kinda feels like it sounds loud but "empty". There are a lot of "weapon sounds overhauls" out there so I might try changing it myself later for the fun of it.

Secondly, the sprint feature doesn't seems to work properly in 1.1. The sprint animation plays when I hit my "run" key (shift) but actual player speed doesn't change. I tested this with a speedometer (hellscape navigator by m8f has one :D) and I was walking at the same speed while holding shift (I tested with both auto-run on and off). I ended up making a "patch" for using BDPlatinum 1.1 with ZMovement and sprinting it seems to work properly now. Whenever I hold -run- the animation plays and player speed increases, which is good for me anyways since I hate normal doom's movement speed/friction and find the build-engine style waaaaaaay better. The bad side of that is that using ZMovement seems to break the "Special Action" and "Dual Wield" binds for some god forsaken reason, so I have to play without those features for now haha. Must admit that the sprint feature ended up being AWESOME for combat, I found out that combined with having to reload your weapons, it makes every single fight way more of a strategic exercise, and walking slowly works great for the original dooms levels as they feel too tight for an always-run type of gameplay imho. In the past I would just load nashmove after BD to make the movement more "precise" without breaking BD mechanics, but as the sprint doesn't currently works for me without using ZMovement, I guess I'm outta luck for now.

Lastly, is there a way to completely turn BD monsters OFF with this version? I usually switch around between different monster packs just to keep things fresh, and specially since this season we were BLESSED by DustedPandemonic's Hell's Christmass monsters, I was expecting to give those icy abominations some lead-based gifts, but so far can't seem to be able to. I can deactivate the special "behaviour" of monsters in the BD menu but there doesn't seem to be an option to truly deactivate them. Now SOME monster packs do work, as they just seem to aggresively replace monsters, but others don't *shrug* lmfao.

I wish you and dox and all the people spriting and working with ye merry holidays and happy new year! Keep it up with this awesome addon, me love it!
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Nimlouth wrote:Hey, I played through the whole starter pack with this and it is AWESOME! The changes are subtle but super effective, it really feels like a way more clean/polished BD overall. I do have some feedback, but please take anything I say with a massive grain of salt, you're doing incredible work!

So, first off, I think the SSG shooting sounds are kinda... idk... too loud? But in the sense that it doesn't feel as "punchy" to use. The assault rifle and normal shotgun i.e are *chef kiss*, but shooting the SSG kinda feels like it sounds loud but "empty". There are a lot of "weapon sounds overhauls" out there so I might try changing it myself later for the fun of it.

Secondly, the sprint feature doesn't seems to work properly in 1.1. The sprint animation plays when I hit my "run" key (shift) but actual player speed doesn't change. I tested this with a speedometer (hellscape navigator by m8f has one :D) and I was walking at the same speed while holding shift (I tested with both auto-run on and off). I ended up making a "patch" for using BDPlatinum 1.1 with ZMovement and sprinting it seems to work properly now. Whenever I hold -run- the animation plays and player speed increases, which is good for me anyways since I hate normal doom's movement speed/friction and find the build-engine style waaaaaaay better. The bad side of that is that using ZMovement seems to break the "Special Action" and "Dual Wield" binds for some god forsaken reason, so I have to play without those features for now haha. Must admit that the sprint feature ended up being AWESOME for combat, I found out that combined with having to reload your weapons, it makes every single fight way more of a strategic exercise, and walking slowly works great for the original dooms levels as they feel too tight for an always-run type of gameplay imho. In the past I would just load nashmove after BD to make the movement more "precise" without breaking BD mechanics, but as the sprint doesn't currently works for me without using ZMovement, I guess I'm outta luck for now.

Lastly, is there a way to completely turn BD monsters OFF with this version? I usually switch around between different monster packs just to keep things fresh, and specially since this season we were BLESSED by DustedPandemonic's Hell's Christmass monsters, I was expecting to give those icy abominations some lead-based gifts, but so far can't seem to be able to. I can deactivate the special "behaviour" of monsters in the BD menu but there doesn't seem to be an option to truly deactivate them. Now SOME monster packs do work, as they just seem to aggresively replace monsters, but others don't *shrug* lmfao.

I wish you and dox and all the people spriting and working with ye merry holidays and happy new year! Keep it up with this awesome addon, me love it!

Glad to see someone else enjoys the sprinting mechanic :D
v1.2 will have slightly faster sprinting and should fix any bugs currently known with it
As far as zmovement's compatibility, there's actually a zscript actor that needs to inherit from zmoveplayer rather than brutal doom's player actor (check the playerpawn zscript file in the zscript folder )

An option to disable monster spawns will be coming in the future

Merry Christmas to you too! I'm hoping to have this update out very soon, think of it as a christmas present!
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

Platinum is perfect for slow and careful gameplay.
EmeraldCoasttt

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.2 release! GZ focused brutal for

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

v1.2 is out, featuring some rather substantial changes!

OP has been updated, and you can watch some of the changes in action on Twitter!
mamaluigisbagel

Little disappointed the "hold to aim" bug didn't get fixed, but I do like the changes I've read aside from that. Curious to see what the sigils do once I play it.
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Little disappointed the "hold to aim" bug didn't get fixed, but I do like the changes I've read aside from that. Curious to see what the sigils do once I play it.

Sorry about that, I was holding off on that until I do the big zscript port of brutalweapon since every weapon will need to be tinkered with for that update regardless

Speaking of which, starting work on the next update right now!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Looking forward to the new version!
load after sunlust
had a derp moment, everythings good now.

Noticed that when grabbing a SGUY and CGUY in berserk and throwing away bullet shield an exception is thrown out on not being able to find the correct actor and it soft crashes to main menu. it doesn't occur when simply throwing him, but the specific error is SGUYSHIELD and CGUYSHIELD, throwing when you're using him as a human shield. I tried this with a normal zombie and imp but this seems to only be the shotgun guy and chaingun guy.
Attachments
error.png
mamaluigisbagel

Sorry about that, I was holding off on that until I do the big zscript port of brutalweapon since every weapon will need to be tinkered with for that update regardless
Fair enough, its just a pet peeve at this point so I can deal with it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”