No teleport mods?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

No teleport mods?

Post by roundtree »

The other day I was playing some of my favorite gameplay mods and ran into one that didn't alter teleport effects. I never used to pay attention to teleport effects but then realized some of the gameplay mods DO alter teleport effects (namely TeleportFog). Xim's Star Wars, Brutal Doom, and QC:DE (just to name a few). I was playing QC:DE for a while and realized it had my favorite teleport effects of all time! (LOVE that purple teleport fog). But then, I started thinking, "Well I should just get a standalone teleport mod so when I play a gameplay mod that doesn't alter teleport effects, I can just slap this mod on it..." so I searched and searched and searched... and then I realized, there are NO standalone teleport mods in existence!

I was actually kind of shocked but not that much. I just think most people don't think about teleport effects that much, but the low-resolution original doom 2 effects are what is bothering me. I mainly wanted to ask if anyone has ever seen a mod (standalone only) that alters teleport effects to please give me a link! I have since attempted to extract QC:DE and take the teleport pictures and scripting files out, put them in a seperate file, load it into zdl, and see if it changes anything. It did NOTHING at all. My scripting knowledge is about as good as asking a horse to make a program for you. I will keep attempting to do this for myself (I was not planning on distributing anything without author's explicit consent).

So mainly, I am going to try to learn ACS scripting. Still, someone please let me know if you do see a standalone mod... if I create my own resources, I would love to make a mod that the community can use! Since I started using gzdoom about 8 months ago, I have never ceased to be impressed by the gameplay mods. If you could take these mods back in time and show them to people in the 90's when none of this was possible yet... that would be cool. Maybe get some Checkers burgers back when they were good too...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: No teleport mods?

Post by wildweasel »

Well, the great part about altering the teleport effect, is that it doesn't need ACS at all. You can replace TeleportFog with a single Decorate lump, and all of the special effects can be handled within that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, and although there are a lot of files, QCDE is well laid out and its pretty easy to find the various resources that the replacement teleport fog uses. It took me 5-10 minutes to track them down, extract them and put them in a stand-alone file (246kb) that replaces the Doom default teleport fog. All that is needed is a bit of copying and pasting and an idea of which control files to look in. The readme for the mod prohibits basing mods off the contents of QCDE so, unfortunately, I can't upload it for you.

However, if you want to look at it yourself:
You can find the DECORATE code that you need in FX.QCD in the DECORATE folder (you only need to copy the QCFog actor to your own DECORATE text file)
The sprites you need (all the DB17 ones) are in Sprites/DBTeffects and should be copied to their own sprites folder
You'll need to copy/paste the SNDINFO entry for QCDE/Other/QCTeleport from SNDINFO.QCD into your own SNDINFO text file
The sound lump you need is in Sounds/UI and is called DSTelept.ogg. Copy that to your own Sounds folder
Finally, look inside the GLDefs folder and the GenericLights.QCD file and copy the entries for all the PurpleMediumPoint* and PurpleSmallPoint* light definitions into your own GLDEFS text file.
Zip them all up and you've got your own teleport fog replacement mod.

Remember, the above should only be done for your own use. Don't distribute work based off the mod contents.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

Enjay: Thank you so much! I followed your instructions to the letter, and it worked perfectly! It worked so well I want to make a YouTube video about it, but I wanted to ask you if that is ok first. I would give you credit for the instructions, and I promise not to distribute any related files. I'm only asking because I already have a channel with linux and doom-related videos. Always looking for content. But whether you say yes or no, thanks again!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sure, it's fine by me. I deliberately provided quite detailed instructions because I thought it might end up as your "gateway drug" to modding. ;) Now that you know that certain things can be done relatively easily, and you have more information about several control lumps in GZDoom, you might decide to dive into doing a few things from scratch yourself too. Or not.

Either way, I'm glad that it worked out for you.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

Well I decided to sleep on it and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm just trying to see how I would feel if I made a creative work and someone made a video about how to make a derivative work from it. I mean I have shown how I delete certain files from mods in videos that I make. But I don't feel like that's the same as creating a whole new mod...

And about what you said I do have the desire to actually create a mod. But if I was going to create one I would want it to be all my images and all my scripting that I created and something a bit more complex. Like I find the idea of a mod appealing to me that would give me a choice between 5 to 10 different teleport fogs and maybe let me swap sounds.

Return to “General”