Skeletal Doom 1.07d

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Crudux Cruo

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03k

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well basically I would say this just need to break out on its own a little bit to add some spice, and...
Spoiler:
dex909

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.03k

Post by dex909 »

Hello Crudux Cruo, thank you once again for your excellent feedback!
Spoiler:
dex909

Re: Skeletal Doom 1.04a

Post by dex909 »

I've updated Skeletal to version 1.04a:

+ The maximum carry weight has been increased to 50kg.
+ Only the corpses of Zombie- and Shotgunguys, Chaingunguys, Mancubus, Revenants and Arachnotrons (as well as their skeletal counterparts) will be lootable and carry weapons or ammunition.
+ Velocity and handling of the Doomguy has also been tweaked and adjusted for faster and more fluid movement. It actually feels better and the pacing is still in line with my original ideas. (thanks Crudux Cruo)
+ Bonus items such as the armour or health bonus, megasphere, incinvibility etc. are now auto pickups which adds to the flow and makes the gameplay more fluid (thanks Crudux Cruo)
+ Weights of ammo, weapon sand items has been tweaked to further reduce overall load. Together with the additional carry weight this balances the game a bit better and allows for more variety in the carriable arsenal.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice idea! I'm always happy to see something still under the same umbrella as something like Hideous Destructor, but not quite as intensive.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Just now coming back to Doom, will try this out when it's available! I always wanted to love HDest, but always felt it was a bit over-complicated for my personal tastes. This seems like it could be a little similar to a HDest-lite experience.

(I'm also a weirdo that likes realism in my Doom.....don't judge me :? )
dex909

Post by dex909 »

It's uploaded, thanks for your interest! However, it's certainly nowhere near an HDest and more of an experiment to explore some of its concepts, combined with various excellent community mods and ideas to create a combination of vanilla Doom gameplay and a few tactical and micro-managing components. Some of it is still in the making so I hope you'll enjoy the updated version :)
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alamo985 »

I'm thinking of some ideas that could help with your mod. I tested the 1.03j and haven't played the newest one due to my busy university schedule.
1. Make an add-on that restores the original Doomguy speed. I personally don't like the slowness of HDest. Maybe put it in a menu switch somehow...
2. Bullet management for true realism and tactical.
3. Bullet types (Taken straight from Call of Doom mod, both old and new version, and there are a lot of them): 9x19mm, 45ACP, 44 Magnum, 50 Action Express, 12ga, 20ga, PDW (e.g.: FN 5.7x28mm, HK 4.6x30mm, 6.5x25mm CBJ, 5.56x30mm MINSAS, etc.), NATO 5.56x45mm, NATO 7.62x51mm, 5.56x39mm, 7.62x39mm, .338 Lapua Magnum, .30-06 Springfield, etc.
There are many things to come, and I still have some crazy ideas at hand.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

It looks similar to more survival oriented mods like HDestructor or Scavver's Paradise. Even if is mostly a compilation of comunity mods, the tactical orientation that it shows so far could be exploited more on that way, that gives a lot of complexity in exchange of powerful resourses to defend yourself.

Im more a Doom casual player and usually I don't touch alpha versions of mods so I don't think I will play this for now, but I could suggest some tips:

- If you're working with slowing the gameplay, you could give something that counters the slower movement on some extent. That is probably to be important on maps that feature some sort of platforming sections.
- If you're going to introduce some micromanagement of ammo and weapons, you could counterbalance with generally buffing the general power of the weapons. So it wouldn't became unfair cheking and getting the ammo for weapons that probably can't stomp well some enemies.
- For the weight mechanics, you should consider to balance the general weight of weapons so players doesn't get stuck with a reduced arsenal, but allowing them to carry a balanced amount of equipment.

It looks interesting anyway, I always thought that mods that change the gameplay mechanics are more interesting that powerfantasy wads.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

I keep getting this error randomly as I play, it seems to happen in the midst of combat as I damage enemies.

I can't get the logfile command to work properly, so I wrote down the first and second lines of the error report.
VM Execution aborted:Array acess out of bounds.Size = 6, current index = 6
Called from criticalShotsHandler.worldthingdamaged at s_main.pk3:zscript/Crits.zc, line 319
dex909

Post by dex909 »

@Alamo985: Thanks for your ideas!
Spoiler:
@Someonewhoplaysdoom: Thank you for the feedback!
Spoiler:
@Shatter-Thought[V-4]: What other mods do you currently have installed/what's in the same folder? For some people the issue seems to be a mod/file that is interferring with the critical hits component, a modified version of the original crits mod and therefore incompatible.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Oh this looks pretty interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I actually got that same critical hit error and crashed as well, just running the mod files; though I did a drag n' drop on the GzDoom EXE, so maybe they were out of order? I usually use ZDL, was going to give that a try next, since I was just doing a quick test first.
dex909

Post by dex909 »

Thanks for the bug reports! Hmm, the order should not matter at all.

Edit: I uploaded version 1.04b in an attempt to prevent any further crashes regarding crits.zc reported by some.

@-Ghost- and Shatter-Thought[V-4]: I'd be interested to hear if you still experience any errors with version 1.04b

I also recommend to use the the autoexec.cfg for the right headbob settings. If you choose not to use the preset configuration, you will have to manually set "movebob" to "0.01" either in the console or your own config. Otherwise the vanilla headbob is making everything feel too bouncy. The nashgore and nashdecals as well as the universal AI and vignette effect are purely optional, you can also your own versions of those mods but those are highly recommended.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

I think there might be an error in the download link right now. It's requiring me to sign in to google drive in order to get to the file, which I am not doing.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Same; I'd suggest maybe Mega or something as a good filehost where you don't have to mess with permissions.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”