This conversion aims to faithfully bring the original NES land of Hyrule to life in the GZDoom engine.
The DOOM and Zelda games have been huge sources of influence and inspiration for me personally. Now adays I find the fandoms and creator communities that have grown up with these franchises equally inspiring. I have long held dreams to see this world realized in 3D and to create a DOOM mod. This is my first project and I had a great time learning ZScript and the basics of how to develop something for the GZDoom engine.
Thank you to everyone who contributes to this community with your code, art, effort, and encouragement.
Google Drive Download
TL;DR 1.1.0 Update
This update brings a lot of bug fixes and quality of life improvments. If I had been better at planning, this would be the 1.0.0 release with the previous releases being marked as beta. It really feels so much better this time around. Thanks everyone for feedback and bug reports!
Notable changes (full list in changelog):
- Requires latest GZDoom, 4.7.1. I won't make it habbit to require version updates, but I really wanted to use the DrawPaused method introduced in 4.7.1 and it sets up to improve help screens in the future without requiring a version update.
- Many sprite updates and quality of life improvements migrated from Zelda 1 Redux
- Overworld overhauled! New textures, secrets remembered, and improved geometry really make Hyrule more fun to run around.
- Alt-fire boomerang! Instead of overhauling the weapon system generally (maybe still in the cards for future) I've decided to make the boomerang the alt-fire for all weapons (except Bow). It feels much more natural and reduces number of weapons to scroll through.
- Item display moved from automap to "Pause" screen.
Comparison Screenshots v1.0.3 - v1.1.0
Spoiler:Special Thanks for the 1.1.0 update
ShadowOne333 - for his Zelda 1 Redux project and permission to use updated sprites.
Exkodius - for Zelda TC. He posted an update which included much better fonts and menu asthetics and encouraged me to adopt what fit.
kalensar - for tons of feedback, encouragement, and a push in the right direction towards fixing Shield issues in the original release.
Notes, Differences, and Known Issues