XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v2.2 Released] New GUI inventory system with full mouse support

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v1.4.1 Released] NEW MAPS

Post by peewee_RotA »

Alright. I've got a working hub1. It is functionally complete, and ready for testing.

Grab it here: https://github.com/cabbruzzese/xrpgleve ... s/tag/v1_0

NOTE: Don't forget to reference both the XRPG mod and this level pack in your command line
i.e. C:\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe -file C:\mods\xrpg.pk3 -file C:\mods\xrpglevels.pk3

P.S.
I set it up with a dummy hub2 just before the ending starts, so that if there are no changes for testing, your saves shouldn't break when hub2 is available.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

peewee_RotA wrote:P.S.
I set it up with a dummy hub2 just before the ending starts, so that if there are no changes for testing, your saves shouldn't break when hub2 is available.
Already found 2 small bugs. So when hub 2 is ready, hub 1 will have some fixes (which breaks saves). Well, it was worth a try. :oops:
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Something in the works:

Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

I'm sadly super busy again but can hopefully try all the new stuff out soonish, I didn't expect you'd add so much for a 'simple' RPG mod but I'm not complaining
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Hub 2 is almost ready. I expect to be able to share something tonight or tomorrow.
peewee_RotA

Re: XRpg - Simple Hexen RPG mod [v1.4.1 Released] 2 NEW HUBS

Post by peewee_RotA »

Hub 2 out

Grab it here: https://github.com/cabbruzzese/xrpgleve ... s/tag/v2_0

See original post for details.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Having fun with the Hub 3 concept. I might have some screenshots in the coming week.

Interestingly, I found a bug in the map editor that I'm working around right now.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Curious, what's the purpose of these new hubs? Is it just "more levels to play, if you're tired of re-playing the vanilla levels again and again" or like... do they integrate somehow, so that they exist alongside the campaign, allowing just more content in general in a single playthrough? Or are they designed in some way to better highlight the features of this mod? Tried reading back through the last few pages here, and didn't really see an explanation, nor in the first post, and really just figure it'd be nice to have a "why you should play with these" or even a "when you should play with these" kinda blurb.
Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

DarkkOne wrote:Curious, what's the purpose of these new hubs? Is it just "more levels to play, if you're tired of re-playing the vanilla levels again and again" or like... do they integrate somehow, so that they exist alongside the campaign, allowing just more content in general in a single playthrough? Or are they designed in some way to better highlight the features of this mod? Tried reading back through the last few pages here, and didn't really see an explanation, nor in the first post, and really just figure it'd be nice to have a "why you should play with these" or even a "when you should play with these" kinda blurb.
Pretty sure it was highlighting the new fatures
DarkkOne

Post by DarkkOne »

Are there features that don't show up in the vanilla levels?
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

DarkkOne wrote:Are there features that don't show up in the vanilla levels?
I probably explained it in a very scatterbrained kind of way. The mod tries to reward the player for exploring the original levels, and give the player some "new eyes" on the existing content. Part of Hexen's challenge is that every group of monsters is a strain on your resources. The mod seeks to make squishing the monsters more fun so you want to kill them all.

The downside is that the original content is a little more linear than an action RPG would normally provide. There is a hub system and some monster repopulation, but the differing paths in the vanilla game are smaller, and usually caused by confusion while solving a puzzle. You might do part of one level out of order because you didn't realize you needed to find another switch. For example, in 7 Portals you might open both barred paths in guardian of ice at the same time, or you might open them one at a time as the stairs rise. Overall it's a very small deviation.

The new hubs exist to expand on all of these ideas. The order you tackle things is more flexible. You can beat the first hub even if you skip large sections. Many areas are just bonus areas. The secret levels are a unique challenge. The individual encounters are larger, dynamic and require more preparation.

I guess to put it simply, Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2 are FPS's first, which are flavored by D&D. I want to season it a little stronger, and also season it with a legend of zelda and metroid vania feel. Not heavily, just enough to change the feeling for the player.

So to do that I need the player to feel like there is a sprinkling of more choice, a sprinkling of "rolling for initiative", a sprinkling of combat and mobility at the same time, a sprinkling of looking for "temples," and a sprinkling of needing to get an item to unlock a new section. Nothing major, just enough to present them content at a different rate, which gives them XP at a different rate, which gives them levels at a different rate, which gives them the new skills at a different rate. So I've got a pretty good idea of exactly what level, and with what new features, a player should be when they reach a certain point.

Also it does highlight a lot of the surprises in the game. I don't think anyone has found the cleaver yet. This presents those surprises more clearly.
DarkkOne

Post by DarkkOne »

That makes a lot of sense, yeah. Does this work alright with co-op? Anything someone would need to be aware of?
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

DarkkOne wrote:That makes a lot of sense, yeah. Does this work alright with co-op? Anything someone would need to be aware of?
I have not tested it for coop yet. All of the scripts are designed to work in COOP, but I did not add the coop spawns.

That's a great question because Simple Hexen Rpg (XRPG) is part of a lineage of mods (HRPG for heretic, and Game of Tomes for Hexen 2). They were all built for COOP so I could play them with my family. But they don't get to play them until they are done. So I try to have foresight to prevent any COOP glitches, but I don't enable it until last.
Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

Started playing this and nearly done with the first HUB, I feel this map set does the exploration and non linear aspect that compliments the RPG mod really well. I Also loved your this is sparta reference haha, love these little touches.

I only feel there could be more focus on making some area's more dangerous then others and having strong monsters 'block' some routes, so there's incentive to level up a bit in other area's first, tho skilled players could still 'sequence' break by defeating these groups with a low level. Playing on the hardest skill level I also feel monsters could be a bit more plentiful. Though again still gotta play the rest, enjoying it a lot!
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Vanille987 wrote:Started playing this and nearly done with the first HUB, I feel this map set does the exploration and non linear aspect that compliments the RPG mod really well. I Also loved your this is sparta reference haha, love these little touches.

I only feel there could be more focus on making some area's more dangerous then others and having strong monsters 'block' some routes, so there's incentive to level up a bit in other area's first, tho skilled players could still 'sequence' break by defeating these groups with a low level. Playing on the hardest skill level I also feel monsters could be a bit more plentiful. Though again still gotta play the rest, enjoying it a lot!
Thanks, that's great feedback!

Hub 3 is turning out to be a lot more complex. I think it's going to take longer than the other 2. The main hub portion is 90% complete, and one of the levels is started. Spent a lot of time testing out scripting for some of the concepts. They all seem to work pretty well.
purgatory.jpg

Return to “Gameplay Mods”