[Release] The D64ifier - Now modular and no longer in beta!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Re: [Release] The D64ifier - Now modular and no longer in be

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

It is rather ironic that the D64ifier is not compatible with D64-for-D2, isn't it? I've gone back and forth on whether or not there's any point to making a compatibility patch, considering how many options there are now to play the Doom 64 maps in the Doom 64 style (Doom 64 CE, Brutal Doom 64, and Doom 64 Retribution just to name a few...). I'm thinking if you want to play the Doom 64 maps in the Doom II style, you've got D64-for-D2, but then if you want to play them in the D64 style you have a whole assortment to choose from... so with that being the case is there even any reason to bother trying to D64ify D64-for-D2? That kinda feels to me like buying a Corvette and then spending more money than a Ferrari costs just to make it look like a Ferrari.

But who knows...... I might still do it anyway. :lol:
Bob Beaky
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Bob Beaky »

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I'm probably just being greedy. We went so long with Doom 64 floating about in the wilderness that now that the game is finally getting the respect it deserves I'm just gorging on anything I can get!

Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning. I really appreciate it. :)
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Three updates today for The D64ifier:
The Core module has been updated to 1.05 (better liquid, improved lighting, and a fixed brightmap)
The Monsters module has been updated to 1.0 (baron fireballs now working properly, nightmare imp melee attacks now have sound like they should, and archvile sprites have been improved)
The new Hi-Res Textures module has been released, which contains every texture upscaled to 400% along with matching specular maps and normal maps.
(preview image of the upgraded textures added to the first post)
Xim

Post by Xim »

I'm really enjoying this mod so far. Might I suggest making the revenant tracers look like D64 puzzle seeker missiles? They're pretty much the same as the mancubus shots, but the vanilla sprites don't really fit anymore.

Btw, I'm hoping once this sprite is finished it'll be added to the mod, then it shall be pretty much complete.

Overall this is mod is great! Thanks for all the work you've done!
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Xim wrote:I'm really enjoying this mod so far.
Ha! That's awesome because I've been really enjoying GZDoom3!
And yes, absolutely. Considering I am already using Dr. Pyspy's revenant, it would only make sense to also use the archvile if he ever finishes it.
HOWEVER...... I need to get in touch with this awesome artist here (https://www.deviantart.com/infernis76/g ... -s-rampage), because if he will allow it I would like to replace every monster possible with his new versions.

Good point about the revenant shots... I'll have to do some thinking on how best to re-represent them. I've always been a bit foggy on how they are supposed to be perceived because they SEEM very much like missiles... but the cyberdemons already fire those and they look nothing alike (nor would I want them to). I was actually toying with the idea of them being little screaming skulls (but different looking than lost souls) flying forth towards people.
Xim

Post by Xim »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:
Xim wrote:I'm really enjoying this mod so far.
Ha! That's awesome because I've been really enjoying GZDoom3!
Good to hear.

I made my own personal add-on for this the replaces the revenant tracers along with archvile and flamethrower flames. Might be a bit of a place holder, but I think they fit the Doom64 style a bit better. Here's a link for it. Let me know what you think if you want to check it out!
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

Great mod! I seem to be having issues playing it with hideous destructor. It's overwriting the hud and I'm trying different load orders. In Hdest the iron sights are part of the hud so whatever the d64 core is doing its hiding certain hud elements. Anyways to disable hud action is going on and make it more modular? Otherwise great job and thanks.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Xim: Cool - Looking forward to checking it out tonight!

cosmos10040: Hmmm MORE modular you say? I suppose I could separate the HUD/GUI elements into their own module and have the Core module just be the textures, lighting, decorative elements, and environmental sounds. I'll have to think about that. In the meantime, have you tried loading The D64ifier core module first and then Hideous Destructor so that Hideous Destructor overwrites the D64 HUD instead of the other way around?
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Xim: Cool - Looking forward to checking it out tonight!

cosmos10040: Hmmm MORE modular you say? I suppose I could separate the HUD/GUI elements into their own module and have the Core module just be the textures, lighting, decorative elements, and environmental sounds. I'll have to think about that. In the meantime, have you tried loading The D64ifier core module first and then Hideous Destructor so that Hideous Destructor overwrites the D64 HUD instead of the other way around?
Loading hdest after the d64 core overwrites the hud which is good but I cannot sprint and the HD options menu which is usually on the mainscreen is now gone.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

I decided the changes to the main menu were not necessary so I removed those for the next version - I THINK that should fix the problem with the HD options menu. I can't figure out what would be causing you to not be able to sprint though. That's really perplexing. I might have to crack open HD and do some digging to try to figure it out. I'll be posting the new version of the D64ifier Core later tonight after fixing a few other things here and there.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Sorry I lied about posting a new version that night. Got a wish list of things I want to get finished before posting the new version so working through that and hoping to have it done by this coming weekend instead now.
Bob Beaky
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Bob Beaky »

Take your time, dude. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. :)
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Now if only you used the Doom 64 PBR textures oh boy this would really be looking sweet
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Rex705 wrote:Now if only you used the Doom 64 PBR textures oh boy this would really be looking sweet
Are you talking about the ones for Doom 64 Retribution? That project is pretty self-contained as far as the textures go, and with the D64ifier about 65% of the textures were custom created by stitching together bits and pieces of original Doom 64 textures to create new replacements for every patch, flat, and texture in the original Doom & Doom II, so a texture pack for Doom Retribution wouldn't be able to do much if used with the D64ifier.

But the Hi-Res addon module for The D64ifier does have normal maps and specular maps for every texture, which definitely gives them an interesting look that is strikingly similar to PBR. :)
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

Brutal Doom Black Edition + D64ifier

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”