[SPRITES] Civilian Sprites in Doom Style

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
ThrashfanBert1994

Re: [SPRITES] Civilian Sprites in Doom Style

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
Deon wrote:I've used the hooded goon with an assault rifle as a base for a stalker sprite.
Really like that :D . That guy was meant to give stalker bandit vibe, was actually doing the rest as sneaky side project. Most of the stuff I draw is designed to be used for more then one project.
zoneys.PNG
Actually like yours more as the darker colors and backpack add a whole lot to the feel. Bloody good job!

what about the badguys from Operation Bodycount? lol
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Wow, wow, nice progress we got here!) Thank you, thank you...) But let me make some notes.

First: you didn't completely get the spirit of "Russians". Stereotypical ru-bandits so-called "Gopniks" have triple stripes on their "adidas" pants and coats)

Second: How about a little reskin of "classic mafia member", turning his clothes into hawaian t-shirt? Like Columbians from GTA 3.

Third: there a few posts above was a little conversation is it possible to use "dark colored ones" in projects. And my answer is "Yes". In my opinion good project can perfectly combine bright and dark sprites. And every "human baddie" sprite still a treasure among the doom community. Because most of existing human sprites are just reskins of player/zombies in their animations, even with the same "vanilla" rifle sometimes.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Nomakh wrote: First: you didn't completely get the spirit of "Russians". Stereotypical ru-bandits so-called "Gopniks" have triple stripes on their "adidas" pants and coats)
Tracksuits everywhere
Tracksuits everywhere
Gopniks.PNG (6.8 KiB) Viewed 8229 times
Figured this is more what you where after, But still haven't finished them yet as the tracksuit lines are a pain to do. Also wanted at least one of those little cap things but this is probably as good as it gets.

Was planning on some shirt mobsters/cartel guys but can't promise hawaian shirt as that's going to be a whole lot of work. more likely will have bracers or a leather vest.

Also going to be pretty busy next couple of weeks, so might not get alot done.
Deon

Post by Deon »

I feel like drawing stripes is an easy edit you can let the modmaker make himself, as well as add extra details such as cigarettes in back pocket etc :).
However they do look more Eastern-european now, wearing Adidas.
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
Nomakh wrote: First: you didn't completely get the spirit of "Russians". Stereotypical ru-bandits so-called "Gopniks" have triple stripes on their "adidas" pants and coats)
Gopniks.PNG
Figured this is more what you where after, But still haven't finished them yet as the tracksuit lines are a pain to do. Also wanted at least one of those little cap things but this is probably as good as it gets.

Was planning on some shirt mobsters/cartel guys but can't promise hawaian shirt as that's going to be a whole lot of work. more likely will have bracers or a leather vest.

Also going to be pretty busy next couple of weeks, so might not get alot done.

Oh, yeah, now this is just amazing!)

Caps are good.

Shirt with random bright "pictures" will be enough)

There are no deadlines, mate, take your time if you have to. You already have done a great work.)
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Also, if you need inspriration to design different baddies - take a look at movie "Death Wish 3" with Charles Bronson. Clips with shootout will be enough)) His character is a bloody father of Frank Castle.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:what about the badguys from Operation Bodycount? lol
Ha. Missed this. Probably going to stay right away from these, But have some militia style guys and over muscled guys on my workbench that people might be able to use in there own versions. And if where talking about dark sprites! don't think they get much darker then these.
Nomakh wrote:Charles Bronson
Good old Bronson. I really want some sprites for a centered Wildey or Automag now. I have some good angled ones.
Also grew up reading this trashy series of books called "The Penetrator" which have the same sort of vibe.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:I really want some sprites for a centered Wildey or Automag now. I have some good angled ones.
Boy, i have good news for you.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Boy, i have good news for you.
:D very..very nice. This is being filed away for future use!
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:what about the badguys from Operation Bodycount? lol
Ha. Missed this. Probably going to stay right away from these, But have some militia style guys and over muscled guys on my workbench that people might be able to use in there own versions. And if where talking about dark sprites! don't think they get much darker then these.
Nomakh wrote:Charles Bronson
Good old Bronson. I really want some sprites for a centered Wildey or Automag now. I have some good angled ones.
Also grew up reading this trashy series of books called "The Penetrator" which have the same sort of vibe.

Guys from "Operation Bodycount" will need an enormous rework cause those baddies are really "bad". I tried to use them in their "original design", but they looked like 8-bit graphics even next to wolfenstein 3d's ones. Sprites with rotations are just silhouettes of people without faces)

Oh, I see you like "Death Wish" Franchise too) Wildey is a real icon)

"Penetrator"? Ha-ha, it sounds like NSFW spin-off for "The Punisher"))

And for the existing mercs: Will there be guys with shotguns?)
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Nomakh wrote: Oh, I see you like "Death Wish" Franchise too) Wildey is a real icon)
"Penetrator"? Ha-ha, it sounds like NSFW spin-off for "The Punisher"))
And for the existing mercs: Will there be guys with shotguns?)
-Wildey is a really icon. one of those completely impractical movie guns but very cool looking
-You have no idea how accurate this is. the main guys name is literally Mark Hardin (Hardin) I mean come on!
-there will be more shotguns been busy lately so very little progress.

SO due to Christmas/Really like going to be busy for awhile and cant promise much for awhile. Was going to chuck together a Christmas based version of Goons/Civs but ran out of time... so consilation prize is..

THIS!!!
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74226&p=1208912#p1208912
This is kinda like the super 0.01 alpha version of my Civs and Goons stuff and as was one direction project might end up going in. It might show future plans for content so please give it a go. you might just like it!
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Oh, sorry for late answer) Tried your "cartoon-goons", would like to see some of them in more serious style, but had fun with them though)

Well... If you've played GTA 3, do you remember these guys?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gtawi ... 1129165506

These are very creepy bombers. And here is idea to make sprites for bomber enemy, but with style like that, not like usual realm667 bomber guy)
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Long term plan is to make most(hopefully all) the cartoon goons into actual sprite enemies.
I have a ridiculous amount of half finished sprite sheets on the go at the moment, it just becomes a battle between work, time and motivation. I also have a bad habit of remaking things from scratch when they are 80% done instead of just finishing them (but don't think that's unique to me).
Example-

I should at least have enough released guys to flesh out a full roster of replacement enemies very soon, just trying to figure out what to finish first.

*Edit.
Nomakh wrote:Well... If you've played GTA 3, do you remember these guys?
I do. In fact the clown enemies in the cartoony manhunt replacer use the voices for the spanked up madmen bombers.
*Edit2. Put this together this morning on a whim.
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khbcglsek0tzd ... n.zip?dl=0
also as a usable enemy with code etc. replaces pinky but feel free to change use however people like. Probably bit to dangerous to use without ambient sounds. Credits in file.
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Aww... This will be great) To make cartoonish guys into more serious sprites. "spanked bomber" is good as always. DAT FACE XD.

Also, how do you like idea about make enemies that look like "infamous" bad guys from the movies? Not exactly "remake" their characters in sprites, but for example to make a goon that looks like Clarence Boddicker from Robocop or that irish gang leader from Marvel's-Netflixe's The Punisher?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

So, bit of a bump here.
due to real life issues kicking me in the pants a little I had to put a bunch of projects on hold. But I figured I still have bunch of resources lying around (some not released, some unfinished, extra stuff for guys I made) and if I'm not using it, I should at least chuck it in a file and lets others use it.

..And then forgot to upload it :?

so for those interested here it is.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zst3mx4tfh83q ... s.zip?dl=0

contains pretty much all the civ/goon/modern stuff I made so far and extra stuff (mostly on sheets ..sorry) unarmed stuff, goon stuff, delta force soldiers, modern ArmyofOZ enemies, Payback characters/mugshots its unrealeased addon Rogues characters/mughsots. and couple of sprite jeeps/tanks and a unfinished chopper. should be enough for people to throw together a full enemy roster.
Feel free to use these in any project you like but please make sure to credit original creators (full credits info in each file) these should be accurate but if not please let me know and I will fix it.

I really can't promise any new content currently but hope this is useful for others.

Return to “Resources”