[WIP] BFTree - large-scale yet intimate map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Peccatum Mihzamiz

[WIP] BFTree - large-scale yet intimate map

Post by Peccatum Mihzamiz »

Announcing BFTree: a large-scale Doom II map. The setting for this nonlinear adventure is a valley with the Tallest Tree in all the lands. Explore the surrounding caves and forest before finally battling your way through treetops towards the top!

BFTree features the classic pack of monsters, with the odd cameo here and there of a Wyvern and some poor abominations of my own design.

On the whole this map should not be too challenging. On UV there are a few nasty fights but overall this map is not designed to punish the player too much. A first-time playthrough will probably take between 30 and 45 minutes. (This will become more clear with testing).

Download/Release date:
Possibly the end of August? I hope to be able to release a beta version soon and get started on testing. I’m still learning how to actually assemble a map.

Information:
IWAD: Doom 2
Port: GZDoom
Maps: MAP01
Freelook, jumping and crouching are not needed. That said: jumping and freelook might add to your experience
Single player, can also be enjoyed in co-op
Difficulty Settings: Yes, implemented
Tested with: GZDoom 4.4.2, 4.5.0 and 4.6.0

Credits:
The map mainly uses the OTEX texture pack by ukiro
Additional textures, sprites and models by others and myself (full details will be included in text file with release)
Music: featuring tracks from The Ultimate MIDI Pack by the amazing Bloo and Xulgonoth, and a new track written for this map by none other than stewboy! I’m working on the intro and outro music myself.
I made lots and lots of custom tree sprites with jval’s PTree and Doomtree

This is my first stand-alone map, having participated in community mapping and MIDI projects since November 2020.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
More screenshots:
Spoiler:
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] BFTree - large-scale yet intimate map

Post by Carrotear »

Ooh, the forest area reminds me of the village from Nier Automata.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I would be interested in trying this out when the download becomes available.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Is this Faxanadu?

Because that would not upset me.

Return to “Levels”