DBK01: Dungeon Synths - looking for mappers!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
glenzinho

Re: DBK01: Dungeon Synths - looking for mappers!

Post by glenzinho »

Just wanna touch on music slots as it hasn't been mentioned: If you wanna claim a track, make your map for the mapslot the music occupies in the music wad. I can mention at this stage that MAP04 + 06 are already spoken for, and I would assume MAP01's track is taken as well and will be used for the map in the resource wad.
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

More WIP screens:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ZfF7bin[/imgur]
Spoiler:
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

We've got a number of maps well under way now, including a new one from me that will be dropping any day now! I've noted current music slot claims now in the OP--let me know if there are any issues or if you want to go ahead and claim a track. Expect to see a lot more activity soon as we near the (initial mapping) finish line.
Endless

Post by Endless »

Excitedly awaiting the launch of this project. The subject matter is of great appeal to me and I'm sure I will enjoy this quite a bit.
Once I get my mappper skills polished (if I ever get them polished lol) I hope to be able to participate in this sometime. In the meantime, I can contribute to play the crap out of it :P
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Synthful Journey v1, plays on MAP04 for the music track
Download

3 Days until mapping deadline! There are a couple of maps in the works that I know of that are just about done, plus whatever secret surprises that MC Bill cooks up for the bookend storytelling maps in the polish month of June. Get your synth on peeps!
DooM_RO

Post by DooM_RO »

My contribution: Vlad's Carpathian Resort. It plays on Map 01 for now and uses track 11.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/j6botni4 ... 3.wad/file
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Another map from me, probably early-set: Knights of the Patch Cables https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhr63pigsqeg3 ... 1.wad?dl=1 (plays MAP07 for music)

I'm making some good progress on the intro map, so with that and a possible last-minute drop from one or two others, we're looking at a respectable 7-8 map set. Not a bad haul! That said: please post your map here by midnight tomorrow (June 2nd) in your time zone to be considered for inclusion. Remember that we've got a month for polishing, so any good-faith effort should have a very strong chance of making it in the final set!
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

The polishing phase has begun! Stay tuned...
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Just a quick note that Bill is currently hunkered down putting the final touches on the first compile and is getting hammered by irl factors, so the release is a day or three away. Scrangus McBrickdad/Jaxxoon R will be leading DBK02 and will have a project thread up in the coming days, he's just putting his own final touches on resources and giving Bill a chance to get this one live.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Indeed! The release will (almost certainly) be up this weekend, but the IRL factors have been real. This will be a nice way to kick things off, though, and I'm excited for everyone to see it come together. And even more excited to see what Scrangus has been cooking up :)
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

Cool WAD! It feels like Eviternity reminded me. Also beautifully constructed and a great soundtrack is attached. I haven't seen such projects for a long time. I want more!

By the way, are you planning to post a separate OST somewhere?
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Void Warrior wrote:
By the way, are you planning to post a separate OST somewhere?
I've put together a little something right here, YouTube playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL--p ... WO5p4S5Sga
Last edited by glenzinho on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Overall this was something very unique and interesting, but I had two issues:

- On MAP02, when pressing the switch on line #774 the entire game got to a standstill due to bad setup of reflective floor/ceiling planes on sector 335. I strongly recommend to take off the ceiling reflection here to make this work right. I had to temporarily disable the reflections to get through this section of the map.
- While I eventually managed to beat the final map I never really understood the mechanics here - it ultimately was a random crapshoot to finally do the right thing. I wonder if some better hints can be provided for this.

Return to “Levels”