Hell Crusher 0.5 - Skilled based overpowered gameplay mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gideon020

Re: Hell Crusher 0.2 - Skilled based overpowered gameplay mo

Post by Gideon020 »

Just noticed a small typo with the Apocalypse Killer. The pickup message has 'Assualt' instead of 'Assault'.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

H3LLW4LK3R wrote: Hideous Destructor - Only the biggest f***ing gun needs the scariest name!
Now where have I heard that name before...

In all seriousness, this is rock-solid work. The animations are fantastic.
The dash is meaty as hell, and I love it. The only recommendation I have: the dash feels so weighty that I almost expect enemies to be tossed around by it. That would be a fun crowd-control tool, actually...
In addition, I feel like the six-barreled shotgun should make it possible to shotgun jump.

Aside from those feature suggestions, great work so far! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the monsters.
H3LLW4LK3R
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by H3LLW4LK3R »

Captain J wrote:Overpowered indeed. Every single weapon are absolutely powerful and it's so hilarious. I really like the Chaingun because it's Doom 2016 one, but with extra barrel and it's so ridiculous. In a good way. It's Russian Overkill level of power play goodness. And btw, got some feedback to share.
Spoiler:
Really, really satisfying gameplay mod overall. Nicely done!
I've looked into the strange bug you said about the Chaingun's Alt-Fire and that it plays the Vanilla Doom's punching sound effect when you successfully hit the enemy. I can't seem to get that glitch, or hear it at least? idk. I wont be doing the hex shotgun alt-fire you suggest here as I already have an idea for it. the rocket explosion could sound a bit delayed due to how fast the explosion is, or that it just is... I'll have to look more in-depth into it. Thanks!
mrtaterz wrote:Good work, my child. 🙏😔
lol, thanks!
Gideon020 wrote:Just noticed a small typo with the Apocalypse Killer. The pickup message has 'Assualt' instead of 'Assault'.
hah, I can't spell, should be fixed in next version.
dawnbreez wrote:
H3LLW4LK3R wrote: Hideous Destructor - Only the biggest f***ing gun needs the scariest name!
Now where have I heard that name before...

In all seriousness, this is rock-solid work. The animations are fantastic.
The dash is meaty as hell, and I love it. The only recommendation I have: the dash feels so weighty that I almost expect enemies to be tossed around by it. That would be a fun crowd-control tool, actually...
In addition, I feel like the six-barreled shotgun should make it possible to shotgun jump.

Aside from those feature suggestions, great work so far! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the monsters.
I might make it so the dash pushes enemies around, if I knew how. Also shotgun jumping might not happen due to recoil just being some what annoying in certain areas, you should be able to rocket jump pretty easily in the next update tho. Thanks!
equalizer2005
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by equalizer2005 »

Hi! I am getting some troubles while downloading the Hell crusher pk3 , for some reason the download is delaying at the point where the google cancel the operation. Do you know what it could be?
H3LLW4LK3R

Re: Hell Crusher 0.3 - Skilled based overpowered gameplay mo

Post by H3LLW4LK3R »

HELL CRUSHER, 0.3 update BEG FOR MERCY

Added new pickup sprites for cell / energy ammo type.
Added ammo pickup sounds.
Added Brightmaps for all ammo types.
Added Brightmaps for a few weapons.
Added gun pickup sounds.
Added weapon selection sounds.
Added Supershotgun Altfire, THE BEAST'S ROAR, A charging up super blast that deals double damage.
Added Bindable kick.
Added Bindable Daul shoulder cannons.
Added custom cross hairs for guns.
Added the Infinity Magnums altfire, charged shot that deals more damage.

Fixed plasma rifle infinite ammo glitch.
Fixed Ledge grab annoyance.

Buffed gauss cannon.
Buffed plasma rifle by removing it's cool down.

Changed gauss cannon appearance.
Changed chaingun appearance, has red highlights now, Literally.
Changed Apocalypse Killer appearance, also gave it brightmaps.
Changed / overhauled melee.

Removed bunch of junk Internal files.
Changed some code to be less dumb.

Updated credits.

I may have missed a few changes but should be all of them.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

H3LLW4LK3R wrote: I might make it so the dash pushes enemies around, if I knew how. Also shotgun jumping might not happen due to recoil just being some what annoying in certain areas, you should be able to rocket jump pretty easily in the next update tho. Thanks!
So, I've actually done a "push nearby enemies" function in a mod before. I'm still tweaking it for my mod, but here's the gist of it:
Spoiler:
This *should* push objects away from the actor that called it, with a push force that diminishes as the victims get further away.

[EDIT]
Also, I finally faced off against the Spider Mastermind replacement. Firing 10 BFG balls in rapid succession is...not a fun thing to fight against. You've given the player some really good movement options, but I feel like I have to cower behind cover (if the mapper provided any) or else get roasted for daring to think I could dodge. The rocket spam can stay, though--although the Mastermind's turn rate should be limited while he's firing it, making it more of an area denial tool than a superpowered super-chaingun.

[EDIT2]
...and the Cyberdemon replacement ALSO has BFG balls. Fewer BFG balls than the Mastermind replacement, but still. The thing about both of these attacks is that the tracers for the BFG ball attack are fired from the monster, so even if I dodge the ball, I have to find cover from the monster or else get splattered anyway.
rhyrhygogo

Post by rhyrhygogo »

Any recommended MegaWads?
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Don't suppose there's a way to configure the dash mechanic so it's not bound to the run key, is there? Been fussing with getting an event handler setup to circumvent this, but I'm not having any luck.
H3LLW4LK3R

Post by H3LLW4LK3R »

equalizer2005 wrote:Hi! I am getting some troubles while downloading the Hell crusher pk3 , for some reason the download is delaying at the point where the google cancel the operation. Do you know what it could be?
I don't know, I tried it before the new update and it worked for me, stills for me now, idk could be your internet or something was happening at google.
dawnbreez wrote:
H3LLW4LK3R wrote: I might make it so the dash pushes enemies around, if I knew how. Also shotgun jumping might not happen due to recoil just being some what annoying in certain areas, you should be able to rocket jump pretty easily in the next update tho. Thanks!
So, I've actually done a "push nearby enemies" function in a mod before. I'm still tweaking it for my mod, but here's the gist of it:
Spoiler:
This *should* push objects away from the actor that called it, with a push force that diminishes as the victims get further away.

[EDIT]
Also, I finally faced off against the Spider Mastermind replacement. Firing 10 BFG balls in rapid succession is...not a fun thing to fight against. You've given the player some really good movement options, but I feel like I have to cower behind cover (if the mapper provided any) or else get roasted for daring to think I could dodge. The rocket spam can stay, though--although the Mastermind's turn rate should be limited while he's firing it, making it more of an area denial tool than a superpowered super-chaingun.

[EDIT2]
...and the Cyberdemon replacement ALSO has BFG balls. Fewer BFG balls than the Mastermind replacement, but still. The thing about both of these attacks is that the tracers for the BFG ball attack are fired from the monster, so even if I dodge the ball, I have to find cover from the monster or else get splattered anyway.
Ya, the SuperSpiderMastermind and SuperCyberDemon fire BFG projectiles, I guess I forgot to change that the BFG balls have tracers... Wait I did remove the tracers tho... I will try to put the dash push thing at some point, maybe.
rhyrhygogo wrote:Any recommended MegaWads?
Dark encounters and maybe maps of chaos, you probably already heard of these, but I'll try to make a list at some point and put in some post. I will most likely make custom maps for hell crusher some time.
BROS_ETT_311 wrote:Don't suppose there's a way to configure the dash mechanic so it's not bound to the run key, is there? Been fussing with getting an event handler setup to circumvent this, but I'm not having any luck.
I will try. But, why though? It being the run key doesn't mess up your speed, due to the player walking as fast as they run. also you can just rebind the run key to some thing else, if you don't like as shift or something. Sorry if this sounded rude. I'm just really curious.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

lol no worries, didn't come off rude to me!

Dashing in it's current form isn't detrimental to my play experience or anything, I just like having the option to walk/run. Plus, and this is something I'm a little more focused on trying to tweak, I think with having dash tied in with BT_SPEED creates instances where you'll immediately dash forward before pressing any sort of direction, rather than, for instance, holding shift (or whatever modifier) and then pressing a direction to activate it. Hope that makes sense.
Prodigal Providence

Post by Prodigal Providence »

I'll be honest - I'm having an utter blast playing this mod. The DOOM Eternal weapon and movement behavior is something I've been wanting to experience myself - and I'd say your mod exhibited it accurately somewhat.

I'm having too much fun using the Boomstick, Jackhammer Blunderbuss and the Devil's Cry all at once, and emphasizing suppressive fire with the Fear's End.

Anywho, I got three things to note:

- Weapons like the Mammoth's Tusk revolver and the Apocalypse Killer heavy rifle has some difficulty hitting enemies peeking over cover - I guess it has something to do with their A_RailAttack attack type.

For example - the Entryway of the Maps of Chaos, the window on the exit area. These two weapons has some difficulty hitting enemies peeking out of it even if my crosshair is trained directly on them, but A_FireBullets weapons like the Jackhammer Blunderbuss can hit them just fine. Or maybe I should aim higher...?

- I suggest altering the spent bullet casings that they disappear after some time. Too many spent casings present on the map can bog down the game... especially to avid users of the Fear's End such as me.

- Are there any plans to add the Wristblade or a derivative of it?

Again, I'm having an absolute blast playing this mod - this is a best pick for me. Keep up the great work, man.
H3LLW4LK3R

Post by H3LLW4LK3R »

Fixed a fairly important bug where kicking would use ammo of held weapon, should be fixed now...
BROS_ETT_311 wrote:lol no worries, didn't come off rude to me!

Dashing in it's current form isn't detrimental to my play experience or anything, I just like having the option to walk/run. Plus, and this is something I'm a little more focused on trying to tweak, I think with having dash tied in with BT_SPEED creates instances where you'll immediately dash forward before pressing any sort of direction, rather than, for instance, holding shift (or whatever modifier) and then pressing a direction to activate it. Hope that makes sense.
Ok, I think I get what you are getting at, I tried messing around with it and new key binds but i'm not really sure how to change it to use a custom key. When I do figure it out I will change it.
Prodigal Providence wrote:I'll be honest - I'm having an utter blast playing this mod. The DOOM Eternal weapon and movement behavior is something I've been wanting to experience myself - and I'd say your mod exhibited it accurately somewhat.

I'm having too much fun using the Boomstick, Jackhammer Blunderbuss and the Devil's Cry all at once, and emphasizing suppressive fire with the Fear's End.

Anywho, I got three things to note:

- Weapons like the Mammoth's Tusk revolver and the Apocalypse Killer heavy rifle has some difficulty hitting enemies peeking over cover - I guess it has something to do with their A_RailAttack attack type.

For example - the Entryway of the Maps of Chaos, the window on the exit area. These two weapons has some difficulty hitting enemies peeking out of it even if my crosshair is trained directly on them, but A_FireBullets weapons like the Jackhammer Blunderbuss can hit them just fine. Or maybe I should aim higher...?
I think it is a quirk of A_Railattack, I'll ask around and see what I can do. I wonder if A_Railattack fires like a thicker beam or something.
Prodigal Providence wrote:- I suggest altering the spent bullet casings that they disappear after some time. Too many spent casings present on the map can bog down the game... especially to avid users of the Fear's End such as me.
I have an idea for that, I might doing something like nash-gore, where you can delete all casings with a press of button. But ya for performance this is important.
Prodigal Providence wrote:- Are there any plans to add the Wristblade or a derivative of it?
Might do a alt attack for the melee, where you use the Wristblade, or like a crucible energy wristblade.
Prodigal Providence wrote:Again, I'm having an absolute blast playing this mod - this is a best pick for me. Keep up the great work, man.
Thanks!
ChiliPimp
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChiliPimp »

This mod is really good. Mixing power fantasy with advance movement makes a very fun experience (love the arsenal). Hard do come up with critiques for this one. I guess if there's one thing that would be cool to see is to give each class more unique stuff maybe like giving them their own starting melee instead of fists or maybe giving them different equipment for their shoulder cannons (one gets ice bombs, other gets flame belch, etc). Anyways looking forward to any future plans for this!
AlvinHBrown
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlvinHBrown »

This may be user error as I am extremely new to DOOM mods/wads but it doesn't work with DOOM 4 Vanilla. I was trying to get Hell Crusher weapons/movement and D4V enemies and what I get instead is D4V weapons and enemies and Hell Crusher ammo. So... I can't actually get new ammo because I have the wrong weapons...
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

AlvinHBrown wrote:This may be user error as I am extremely new to DOOM mods/wads but it doesn't work with DOOM 4 Vanilla. I was trying to get Hell Crusher weapons/movement and D4V enemies and what I get instead is D4V weapons and enemies and Hell Crusher ammo. So... I can't actually get new ammo because I have the wrong weapons...
These mods have elements which conflict with one another. To get them to work properly the code that replaces enemies must be separated from the rest of the mod. Simply putting them together has the effect of telling the game "Launch this weapon set....oh wait, cancel that and put this in, but keep the rest." Hope this helps explain things.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”