Every Bethesda game is now on Xbox Game pass

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Superdave938
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Every Bethesda game is now on Xbox Game pass

Post by Superdave938 »

Every Bethesda game is now on Xbox Game pass, including Doom. How does that me you feel?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Every Bethesda game is now on Xbox Game pass

Post by Kinsie »

It makes me feel like this post has very little content and is just to boost your post count.

ANYWAY, to add actual content to this thread: Before anyone asks, the Game Pass versions of Doom and Doom 2 are encrypted UWP apps, which are right mothers to even see the contents of, let alone access their files, so GZDoom won't be able to detect the IWADs from them unless that changes. Which might happen: A few of Bethesda's games on the service, like Morrowind and Oblivion (and even Fallout 76!) are unencrypted and mod-friendly (well, mod-friendly-ish, the script extenders need an update), so if enough people ask nicely it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Superdave938 wrote:Every Bethesda game is now on Xbox Game pass, including Doom.
And.....????
Gez

Post by Gez »

From what I've read, these are the base games only, without the extensions; except for Skyrim because with the Special Edition re-release they packed all its DLC data into the base game.
Kinsie wrote:Which might happen: A few of Bethesda's games on the service, like Morrowind and Oblivion (and even Fallout 76!) are unencrypted and mod-friendly (well, mod-friendly-ish, the script extenders need an update), so if enough people ask nicely it's not out of the realm of possibility.
And on that point:
extrwi wrote:Currently the only thing that is known for sure is that it is a new build of the game. I don't have access to it.

As far as I know, you cannot launch a Windows Store application as a suspended process, which is how skse64_loader works. You are also not supposed to be able to use VirtualProtect to mark executable pages as also writable, which is how most of skse64 itself works. The first part may be bypassable by replacing one of the existing DLLs that the game loads. The second will be more of a problem if it is enforced at an OS level rather than just a store policy.

For now, if you want full mod support, buy the game on Steam. I can't promise anything about the Windows Store version.
(source)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Gez wrote:From what I've read, these are the base games only, without the extensions; except for Skyrim because with the Special Edition re-release they packed all its DLC data into the base game.
Morrowind, Oblivion and Dishonored 1 are the GOTY versions with all the post-release stuff. Generally, though, most Game Pass games don't include the DLC outside of a few exceptions like Halo MCC.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

Gez wrote:except for Skyrim because with the Special Edition re-release they packed all its DLC data into the base game.
Making it the second release of Skyrim to feature all expansions.

Before SE there was Legendary Edition of the original 32-bit version, released sometime in 2013 if I recall, which bundled all the expansions, but once SE came out it replaced the original completely, and only those who bought it in time still have it as it was taken down from all the stores.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Legendary Edition was just a GOTY release with another name. They're done the same thing with Oblivion and Morrowind before, as well as with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Return to “General”