Changed renderer to Softpoly, now crashes on startup

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Changed renderer to Softpoly, now crashes on startup

Post by Guest »

GZDoom has always ran perfectly, for years, until today. I was playing around with the display settings and changed the renderer from OpenGL to Softpoly. after that it crashed, and every time I goto run GZDoom is always crashes. I have the latest version by the way. is there any way to fix this? I've tried uninstalling and and reinstalling and I still have the same problem. please help! thanks :?

on Mac OS X by the way.
_mental_

Re: Changed renderer to Softpoly, now crashes on startup

Post by _mental_ »

Post crash report please. Also, go to ~/Library/Preferences directory, and post gzdoom.ini file as well.

To switch back to OpenGL, add +vid_preferbackend 0 to command line options.

Post by Guest »

thank you so much! I added that to the additional parameters and its working again!
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you run GZDoom directly (not through a launcher), you should get a [wiki=IWAD selection box]startup window[/wiki] where you can change the renderer.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Works well on Windows. On Mac and Linux that window leaves much to be desired, I am sure. :)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Aren't modern macs based on intel? I know there is a crash on arm due to a memory alignment problem, Beloko fixed it on clang using a linker flag but that one is not available on gcc.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Not all macs are. Apple has begun a pullout from the Intel platform, completely.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

In any case, no crash report means no fix.

Return to “Technical Issues”