[minimod][v0.7.2] Gearbox - weapon/inventory handling

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ABalen

Re: [minimod][v0.5.1] Gearbox - weapon/inventory handling

Post by ABalen »

Hey!
I noticed that when I use the weapon wheel with the time freeze enabled, the doors keep opening and closing, which can be used as an exploit for many situations!
I believe this bug has already been called attention here.
But, my suggestion would be, if it wasn't possible to fix it, to turn it to a slowmo instead of completely stopping the time.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Can't freeze doors and elevators, as well as map scripts.
Can't do slowmo, there is no way to do it in GZDoom. The only slowmo mod that I know of does it by constantly freezing and unfreezing enemies.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

For some reason the mouse cursor only moves horizontally when the wheel is open, I can't move it vertically. Is this intentional? If so, I'm not sure why. If it's not, I don't understand how to enable free mouse selection :)
m8f

Post by m8f »

Is mouselook (Options -> Mouse Options -> Always Mouselook) off? Mouse in Gearbox moves vertically only if mouselook is on.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Solid update, that smooth cursor made me switch from blocks to wheel mode now. Would it at all be possible to add an option to wheel mode that allows weapon slot numbers to be the base layer to the weapon wheel, then, when selected, overlap/overwrite the weapon wheel showing weapons just within that slot number? I like the categorization, but even on a large screen you have to scale the wheel down some due to the branching off of the main weapon wheel.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Abba Zabba, I don't quite get what you mean. Do you want weapons inside one the slot to show on full circle instead of being on half-circle? Does half-circle become too cluttered?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

m8f wrote:Abba Zabba, I don't quite get what you mean. Do you want weapons inside one the slot to show on full circle instead of being on half-circle? Does half-circle become too cluttered?
Yes to both. The idea is that the main/first menu of the weapon circle just displays the slot numbers, 1-0, with slots that happen to contain no weapons grayed out. When you select a slot number, it draws all the weapons in that slot number and only in that slot number on the main circle instead of branching off of it, as it can become somewhat cluttered and hard to see, on top of the large amount of space it takes up, which forces most (I imagine anyway) users to scale it down somewhat to fit on their screens. On top of that, even mods with a huge amount of weapons you can carry at one time on one weapon slot, such as Scavver's Paradise, can still easily fit 20 weapons of the same category on the main circle with room to spare, while also eliminating clutter/bloat.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Looking great !

Is this fully compatible with latest LZDoom ?
m8f

Post by m8f »

Abba Zabba: I'm afraid I won't do that. I have already spent too much time on existing code that determines which weapon you are pointing at (and on bugs in that code). I don't want to do it again for a different system. I'd consider 20 weapons in a single slot a rare case and just say it's too much for Gearbox. (How the player is even supposed to cycle through those weapons without Gearbox?) Also, the default size of the wheel with its branches is designed to fit exactly on any screen. Unless you use scale greater than 1 and/or horizontal position out of range [-1; 1], wheel branches fit on any screen. So I don't see why most users are forced to scale the weapon wheel down.

ClessxAlghazanth: no, Gearbox isn't fully compatible with LZDoom 3.87c. There is a special pk3, named gearbox-v0.5.1-lzdoom.pk3 (which you can find by following the Download link on the main post), with some Gearbox features cut for LZDoom compatibility.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

BTW now LZDoom supports GetAllKeysForCommand. But not the new texture tags, they have to be the same in the native side and would need hacky code to "eat" them. I'm not going to do that.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

m8f wrote:Also, the default size of the wheel with its branches is designed to fit exactly on any screen. Unless you use scale greater than 1 and/or horizontal position out of range [-1; 1], wheel branches fit on any screen. So I don't see why most users are forced to scale the weapon wheel down.
Perhaps the wording was confusing. I meant larger scales greater than 1.0. It still fits as intended on 1.0. Fair enough if you have too much invested into the current branch system.

There's no intercept option for inventory next and inventory previous, correct?
m8f

Post by m8f »

drfrag, good to know, thanks!

Abba Zabba, yep, no intercept for previous and next inventory keys. May add it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion!
Edit: created issue: https://github.com/mmaulwurff/gearbox/issues/13
Nimlouth

Post by Nimlouth »

Hey! Just wanted to bump this thread about the slow-mo.

So, it seems that one certain modder found out there's a way to do smooth slow-mo in gzdoom!!!
>> https://youtu.be/5_JR9ywIwN8

It's actually a debug command line that messes around with the whole engine, so it's more a dirty hack than a modding feature, but it just kinda works great. Now it does makes EVERYTHING slower so that could certainly affect the way the menu is handled. But... it's something idk ha

Cheers! (and thx again for ALL of your mods <3)
Kokonut
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kokonut »

Would an option to not hijack mouselook when using Half-Life blocks mode be possible? I understand the wheel needs it but it's a bit annoying not being able to look around when I'm just trying to feel around to select fists instead of chainsaw or something. More options (font other than new small, more color choices, whether to enable selecting weapons with no ammo, ETC) would be much appreciated. Great mod!
Nimlouth

Post by Nimlouth »

Kokonut wrote:Would an option to not hijack mouselook when using Half-Life blocks mode be possible? I understand the wheel needs it but it's a bit annoying not being able to look around when I'm just trying to feel around to select fists instead of chainsaw or something. More options (font other than new small, more color choices, whether to enable selecting weapons with no ammo, ETC) would be much appreciated. Great mod!
Had the same issue, you just need to turn off mouse input for the wheel and it'll stop hijacking it while using the blocks! It seems that rn that option for the wheel ALSO affects the blocks when on.

Cheers!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”