Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

Someonewhoplaysdoom

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.3 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm I just beated Doom 2 Unleashed map 32 on apocalypse difficulty. A fre*king 1500 mosters soft/mid slaughtermap...
At the end I wasn't able to finish it, since it has two other slaughtermaps and the resources just dissapeared. Depending of your current loadout the mod actually can deal with large groups of monsters as long as you don't get completely cornered from everywhere. But also I usually don't use BFG weapons which probably would help a little jeje

On the other hand, I found that Doom Core is a quite good Wad to play with the mod. on 56 despawn chance of meds on some maps Still I got tons of meds for other maps with less spawns, and ammo is also so plentful thanks to the amount of zombie enemies that you don't really need to swap constantly between weapons if you don't want to. It has a weird bug on map 14 and map 22 where the launcher Crashes completely (IDKW, but both maps are massive caves like the last episode of Doom 2, maybe is some issue of compatibility but is not important). Also, maps 30 and 32 may not be beatable but otherwise they're a great experience.

EDIT: I found a Bug, when you scrap a Frezno AR12 Carbine when you're full of 7.62 magazines, instead of dropping that mag, it drops the 5 mm one
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:32 pmIt has a weird bug on map 14 and map 22 where the launcher Crashes completely
What version of GZDoom are you using? Aaaand I assume you're talking about the 84mm heavy launcher, yeah?
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pmEDIT: I found a Bug, when you scrap a Frezno AR12 Carbine when you're full of 7.62 magazines, instead of dropping that mag, it drops the 5 mm one
I THOUGHT I PATCHED THAT OUT >:o

No ETA on a hotfix for the recently reported issues just yet. Still feeling the burnout from hyperfocusing on the big content patch lol.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

CaptainNurbles wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:42 am
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:32 pmIt has a weird bug on map 14 and map 22 where the launcher Crashes completely
What version of GZDoom are you using? Aaaand I assume you're talking about the 84mm heavy launcher, yeah?
Im using GZDoom 4.10, the latest one.

And nope, Im talking about the whole GZdoom Launcher. It just crash the whole app entirely, to the point I don't even know what would be the problem and if It would be related to a bad interaction for the Mod and that Megawad, or if it involves my PC somehow too (because the performance of my PC was alright at those moments).

Fortunately, it only hapened with Doom Core Delta, so it shouldn't be a huge bug of the Mod, the current version had worked perfectly so far on other mapsets.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Alright, I've had plenty of time to decompress after burnout. Planning stages for the next update will be starting Soon™, and once I get a good feel of what I wanna do with it work will begin. I'll be sure to throw out a hotfix before I start the real meat of matters, though.

Relevant though, opening up a new poll! Gonna be working a lot on balancing for this next update, largely in regards to monsters and supply drops. In my playtesting for the last couple updates I'm usually pretty flush with health and ammo, but that's coming from the perspective of somebody who knows the mod's inner workings front to back. I wanna hear from you folks about how well you feel supplies are balanced in your runs. Generally speaking, while I test the mod with many different map sets, I try to keep ammo supplies balanced with Doom 2 in mind since, while it's far from the most difficult of campaigns, it's something I could call a "standard." Not too difficult, but not insultingly easy, and many custom mapsets have a difficulty and supply balance similar to what you'd get in Doom 2.

Poll will last a few weeks to give everybody a chance to weigh in and give their thoughts! The more folks participate, the better an idea I can get for how to handle balancing in this next update. Even more helpful is if you drop some comments or PMs my way detailing your thoughts on health and ammo balancing.
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

Feedback from someone who played this mod for a few dozen hours this month:
* If you have no ammo left in your magazine, drop the weapon and scrap it, you get a full magazine. Makes no sense, obviously.
* Having scoped rifles without a headshot mod always weirds me, but I used mkcrits.
* The spectral and "flaming" barons are a bit brutal, compared to the rest.

Otherwise, my favourite mod. Just need to find more maps that go well with it.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

q3cpma wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 am * If you have no ammo left in your magazine, drop the weapon and scrap it, you get a full magazine. Makes no sense, obviously.
That's more a limitation of DECORATE than anything else. Only way to really fix this is to convert the mod's code from DECORATE to ZScript. Something that'd allow for extra functionality in many many regards, but which would be an enormous pain in the ass. At SOME point I gotta look into doing that though.
q3cpma wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 am * The spectral and "flaming" barons are a bit brutal, compared to the rest.
They definitely need more work, yeh. Big thing I'll be focusing on for this update are the monsters, making them better balanced, more interesting, and adding to the roster where it makes sense to do so.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Alright, hotfix is out! I haven't playtested much since releasing the update a month or so ago, so the only fixes present are simply what folks have noted here on the forums. Also new sprites for the riot shotgun, because honestly the old sprites are just quite overused. Why use old Realm667 sprites when you can use newer ones?

This shouldn't break your saves.

EDIT: Updated the hotfix file because I'd only JUST found out that several shotguns and launchers had broken fire sounds. Fixed and reuploaded.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 4/5/23)

Changelog:
2.3.1 Quick Fixins! Released 4/5/23

WEAPON Changes:
* Many weapons have had their firing frames spruced up to look nicer. No functionality changes here, just nicer muzzle flashes.
* 7.62mm Carbine now drops 7.62mm magazines when you're full of 7.62mm ammo and scrapping a spare carbine.
* KS-20 Riot Shotgun has new sprites! Functionally the same, just looks more interesting while not using overused sprites.
* Several shotguns and launchers had broken firing sounds. Fixed.

ITEM Changes:
* Exploit with LLSC where multiple spheres could be contained with one LLSC has been patched.
* The chance for a random explosive ammo box to spawn huge bunches of goodies has been reduced.
* New sprite for .357 ammo box.

MONSTER Changes:
* Void Beasts now have a rare chance to drop Void Spheres on death.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

BIG change coming with this update. I haven't touched the monster roster any, though I do wanna tackle that with this update.

So far I've just made some touchings up to various PDA logs for some weapons and items, correcting mistakes (like how Marine and Battle armors are listed as preventing Burns and Bleeding, respectively, when they do not anymore), added a new shotgun (cause I really wanted a nice wood grip pump action shotgun), and OH YEAH guns are now firing projectiles instead of being hitscan.

I'm in the initial stages of that right now, just working out the kinks and figuring how I wanna go about it. Right now there's a few pistols firing ZScript bullet projectiles which travel very quickly, have bullet drop, and otherwise function perfectly adequately. Using ZScript and inheriting from FastProjectile helped with collision issues native to the Doom engine (Even with DECORATE issues arise when using really fast, really tiny projectiles). This DOES however mean that there will be NO randomization in bullet damage, and I will likely extend that to other projectiles as well for consistency's sake.

Zombies will still be a major threat in the mod since they still deal plenty of damage, but at the very least you'll have a good chance to dodge and avoid their bullets at longer distances. Once I get a feel for this I'll likely add tracers to hostile bullets for the sake of helping players out.

I've also done another first for the mod - a new map! Specifically a firing range where you can play with every weapon in the mod. Did this more for the sake of playtesting for myself, but heck why not throw it in for gits and shiggles?

More to come in future once more progress is made!

Quick Edit: Also expect a revision to damage types and armor protection values. It's only just now hit me that there's not a HUUUUGE difference in damage between SmallCaliber and LargeCaliber weapons against armored targets. It always felt like there was a big difference to me, but functionally not really.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Ok, those new changes sounds incredible. Not using hitscan anymore would be a bit conflictive to me, but definitely would balance a lot while dealing with Zombies in general, and sounds that definitely fits on the mod.

For the changes Between small and large caliber damage vs armored targets I feel its funtional, at least while dealing with Soldier grade zombies and mechanical demons there's a huge damage gap with trying to use small caliber to take one down already. But these values could be important when adding a specified consistency to damage.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:02 am For the changes Between small and large caliber damage vs armored targets I feel its funtional, at least while dealing with Soldier grade zombies and mechanical demons there's a huge damage gap with trying to use small caliber to take one down already. But these values could be important when adding a specified consistency to damage.
So in my testing while initially implementing bullet ballistics, I wound up testing pistol damages on a regular 6.2mm assault rifle zombie. No damage randomization, just flat damage modified by resistances. 9mm pistol at 18 damage, 4.6mm pistol at 15. Not a huge difference but piercing armor would amplify the difference in favor of the 4.6mm cartridge.

10 shots from the 9mm handgun.

9 shots from the 4.6mm handgun.

Bumped the 4.6mm pistol up to 18 damage as a test. 8 shots to kill. This is with only a 15% difference in SmallCaliber and LargeCaliber resistances in the combat armor soldier zombies wear as of the current public build.

I'm still testing and balancing the armor values, but at the moment there is a much more noticeable difference in protection between soft ballistic armors (police vests, security armor, energy shielded vest, fireproof armor, etc>) and hard ballistic armors (combat armor, combat fire suit, medic armor, etc.) Intermediate/large caliber rifles and armor piercing PDW munitions can do a good job at punching through soft body armor (high velocity, slim profile for less surface area), but can struggle against hard plate carriers seen in military usage. Leaning onto that will make the 10+ kilo combat armors more appealing when compared to softer, lighter armors that can't stop piercing munitions as well.

More on this once more playtesting of armor values can be done. Still trying to work out armor values that feel right for what they are.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Alright, time to give an idea of the scale of this update!

There's quite a bit going into this update so far, with the possibility of more coming as ideas come up in me head. Right now I'm keeping it relatively simple to balancing and QOL improvements. For the latter, big one is that I'm undoing the HUD's scale lock so that it'll take up less screen space while being able to scale at different resolutions. THAT SAID, with the layout and design, it likely won't scale well at certain lower or higher resolutions. For now it's intended to be used at a 16:9 aspect ratio, built for 1080p resolution.

To make a HUD that works better with more resolutions and aspect ratios would require I make a COMPLETE redesign of the HUD, rather than just shifting it around. I'm no graphics designer, so I can't say I'm exactly looking to have another crack at that just yet. Sorry about that D: Even just readjusting all the HUD elements after removing the scale lock is taking me bloody ages (90 minutes in and I've only gotten the HP/Ammo/Key/Weight/Item bars moved over, with the Armor icons, Sphere Indicator Bars, health and armor counters, grenade icon and counter, and some of the affliction icons. Every individual weapon, every single element of the ammo manager and armor repair tool, every indicator for used restorative items, etc. have to be moved one by one and that takes a stink ton of time D:). To do all of that work on top of also making a brand new HUD that would work better in more resolutions and aspect ratios would just take up too much of my time.

BULLETS. Hitscan is no more! All guns fired by players and NPCs alike fire projectiles, each with muzzle velocity and flatness accounted for depending on what the bullet is being fired out of. Ain't going for FULL super accurate realism here like in Hideous Destruction, just making something that works well enough for Doom and for the mod's gameplay style. Realistically, all guns should have higher range and better accuracy, but for a game that largely features relatively close quarters combat (most encounters taking place within ~50 meters of distance), it works out fine enough. THIS DOES MEAN THAT EVERY GUN HAS NEW ACCURACY VALUES THOUGH. I tried to make it as close to the OG values as I could, but there will be a noticeable difference. ALSO, because of how GZDoom handles projectiles, map objects such as lamps, pedestals, dudes on spikes, etc. will block bullets as well. I could remedy this by adding destructible map decorations, but there's likely mods that do that far better than I ever could. Do note that because of how ZScript works, bullets no longer have damage randomization. Damage is flat with no variation.

MAP. I made a firing range! Never mapped before but figured it'd be a good investment to make a firing range. MOSTLY for myself for the sake of testing guns during the swap from hitscan to projectile, but it'll also be nice for you folks for when you just wanna test out all the bazillions of weapons that are present in the mod. At the moment, that's all it is, but I'll also probably add the option to exit from the firing range into the main campaign so that the firing range can also double as a place to build custom loadouts!

ARMOR. Armor values have been rebalanced once again across the board, with a big focus on bullet damages. In particular, in regards with the difference between SmallCaliber and LargeCaliber resistances. Generally speaking, soft body armor will keep ya fairly safe from SmallCaliber and Pellet weapons, but LargeCaliber attacks can punch through them pretty well with minimal resistance. Once you hit combat grade plate carriers like the military Combat Armor, Medic Armor, and Combat Fire Suits, you'll find that LargeCaliber ammo has a harder time punching through those. I'm still working hard on balancing this to my liking, but you're gonna notice a definite difference in how armor protects you before.

UPGRADES. Working on adding new upgrades to the mod that you can swap between on the go. So far I've gotten Nanoweave body suits split up into 4 types (General Nanosuit for 15% damage reduction on everything, Ballistic for 30% physical reduction, Thermal for 30% Thermal reduction, and Explosive for 30% explosive resistance. The latter 3 suits also have 30% melee protection.) There's also recoil dampening bracers for helping scavvers control their weapons better, even granting a tiny bit of extra weapon accuracy, a new medical harness which jolts you with a small bit of health every time you take damage, a pair of boots which enhance your jumps and grants you a double jump ability, and more to come as I rack my brain for ideas. For balancing purposes, upgrades are now split up into six categories: Body (covers entire body), Torso (Worn around chest), Harness (Currently only occupied by the ammo harness), Back (Backpacks), Arms (Knuckles, Recoil Dampeners), and Legs (Reinforced kicking boots, powered greaves, jump boots.) More will come as ideas pop up!

MONSTERS. Improvements across the board will come to the monster roster. Better difficulty balancing, improvements to the roster to remove boring, redundant monsters and add newer, more interesting critters in their place. I also plan on expanding on the number of monsters that deal non-physical, non-thermal damage (Radiation flinging imps, critters that try to infect ya with parasites, and more void creatures), and more enemies that fire lasers since there's only one at the moment, the Beam Revenant. Haven't touched on the monster side of things that much just yet, I'm still working on the fine touches for much of the above before I REALLY crack at improving the monster roster!

No ETA just yet, far too early in development to be able to give one of those out. For now, what's listed above is what you should expect with this next update, alongside bug fixes and such. I may add more content, also tempted to try condensing the ammo types down some more since 18 is just a shit ton. I dropped compact cells from the mod, making the UAC's Type-B universal cell universal once more. Slightly tempted to drop crossbows from the mod, and maaaaybe dropping one of the rifle calibers (5.56mm, 6.2mm, 6.5mm, 7.62mm.) Possibly could drop 7.76mm caseless ammo, give the magazine sprite to 9x23mm SMGs, and balance 'em out like such. The fewer unique ammo types present, the easier ammo is to balance.

As always, I'm happy to hear your thoughts and criticism! The more I hear from you folks, the more I have to work with in regards to improving the mod.
Evalya
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Evalya »

how do I customize classes and difficulty and stuff for multiplayer
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

To customize difficulty settings hop into the Scavver's Paradise options menu, then the Difficulty menu.

What do you mean by customize classes? If you want to make custom edits to the code for personal usage the player classes are listed in the main DECORATE file in the main directory.
Evalya
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Evalya »

CaptainNurbles wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:08 am To customize difficulty settings hop into the Scavver's Paradise options menu, then the Difficulty menu.

What do you mean by customize classes? If you want to make custom edits to the code for personal usage the player classes are listed in the main DECORATE file in the main directory.
sorry, I mean how do I select a class in multiplayer?
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Evalya wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:38 pm
sorry, I mean how do I select a class in multiplayer?
Right, so unlike Zandronum GZDoom doesn't have a means of changing classes while in a game with a mate. Way I've done it when playtesting stuff with a buddy in multiplayer, ya just load a singleplayer game as the loadout you wanna be, quit out of the game, then boot up a multiplayer game. Should work out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”