[Even Newer Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay Mod]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Even Newer Update] Marathon [A Doom Gameplay Mod]

Post by Captain J »

I'd like that actually, but i have to inform this sad news that the author's account has been deactivated. Hope they come back.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

This looks super slick, I look forward to trying it out!
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

Well, I have tried it out, and it is very slick and fun. I like the chaos of enemies not just being a little randomized, but even going so far as to be potentially on your side-ish, to help you out. Of course you may have to kill some of those humans to get ammo, maybe they could supply you with a single magazine each if you press use on them instead?

The only real problem I came to see was that if the level (Not just map pack in general, but singular, distinct levels for pistol starts) does not have a shotgun drop, then it's incredibly hard to fight back against the hordes, especially against chain gun replacements, as they can mow you down FAST if you can't down them quickly.

If you are lucky, you may be able to get dual pistols with the right spawns and events to take down some foes faster, but that's kind of a big if.

I realize that the sergeant replacements are staunchly not meant to drop shotguns, so I think a solution may be to give a player a starting weapon toggle, so they can start levels with a shotgun and a few meager shells, just to give them a tiny bit of help with the more rough levels and wads that are content to have you earn shotguns in battle, with vanilla monsters.

Also, maybe the machine gun guys could shoot grenades a LITTLE less eagerly at you, because I have had several launched at me in quick succession, which is pure hell in tight corridors or if otherwise without room to dodge.

Elsewise, I do love the sprites, and the general weapon work. I think maybe some damage feedback could be good though.

Running full on and killing lower tier enemies with punches is very fun.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I started to like Marathon series way too much and it's good to see that this TC with new update is getting more attention.

While i like each new change, it suffers hefty problems i constantly encounter each playthrough. Like what Shatter said, Shotgun plus Magnum is rather rare to find and ammo for them is just not plenty enough to fight on. Security BOBs do drop Magnum sometimes but Shotgun is rather opposite. Some maps, with all respect to OG mappers, can be stingy with map weapon drops so it makes the game unnecessarily harder.

Speaking of hard, i do think enemy roster needs more enhancements and nerfing. Like Troopers, Compilers and Hunters. Especially the purple compilers, are just ruthless. Sometimes they'd attack your allies not ready to teleport yet and they bleed like hard. Always wondered why this is happening.

Shotgun also have reloading animation that can be skipped. Switching into other weapon denies it so you basically can semi-auto without even reloading once. One of the powerful weapons being extra powerful. So i guess this is the reason why it's hard to get the Shotgun?

And lastly, there are some minor issues like SPKNR Rockets don't kill off stronger enemies easily besides the bosses, Blue Hunters go red when idling, first person weapon sprites are big to the point they block half the screen(perhaps it's intended? Like in the original game) and etc.

Those said problems doesn't make the game bad or anything. Improvements are required but it has a potential of being game-accurate and well-balanced TC. Still fun to play through!

... So about what i said few days ago, the author of this updated TC deactivated and i'm not sure if they would return. Currently i made a HD sound addon for it but also made my own personal Standalone that fixes 80% of said problems. Wish i could send dm for a permission because i'm considering to make my own thread for my actual addon that fixes things. But then again, they deactivated their account and dunno where to find them. If anyone knows where to contact them, would be appreciated because i'm certainly willing to help!
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Has anyone of ye noticed when clicking on the original poster it says that the user does not exist though? I think it has been a bit of time since I think that happened so I do not think he will be able to update on this if I am right.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Starman the Blaziken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:22 amHas anyone of ye noticed when clicking on the original poster it says that the user does not exist though?
That's what i said in this thread twice, so yes.

Again, i'm eager to contact them somehow so i can proceed making my addon for their TC. But i have no idea where are they now.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”