Yamaha Overdrive (RC2) / ZDTMH

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Yamaha Overdrive (Beta) / New update!

Post by cubebert »

I've made a small update for Yamaha Overdrive that includes a few games and some bug fixes. Unfortunately, due to how Game Music Emu works in GZDoom, the PC-98 tracks had to be converted to .ogg, which made the file size much bigger than I'd like it to be. The good news however, is that I've made a user-friendly way of adding detection of the music player, which can be easily integrated into different gameplay mods. The one built into it from Floppy Disk was a bit awkward to use for those who weren't versitile with ACS, so my method uses decorate tokens, courtesy of TerminusEst13's code for creating "silent" inventory items. I have to give major props to him for the code.

That being said, I need to give a disclaimer that the latest versions of GZDoom have an audio bug regarding Mega Drive music being played incorrectly. There are a select few tracks that produce the wrong notes or have a bad screeching noise playing throughout the song, most notably in the Comix Zone soundtrack. If you are using GZDoom, I highly recommend getting GZDoom 4.5.0, getting the zmusic.dll file from there, and putting it on your GZDoom directory. This doesn't occur with Zandronum, and I'm not sure if it happens in LZDoom, but I'd thought I'd get that out there.
cubebert

Post by cubebert »

I've been pretty busy with helping out for a pretty ambitious mod, so I haven't had much time with getting more songs for the playlist. With that said, however, I managed to squeeze in around 30 more songs for ZDoom's Top Midi Hits, which is located in the bonus links. The next update might take a bit, but it should be a pretty big one since I'm now venturing into Sega CD territory. Feel free to request games that you think would make an excellent addition from either the Sega CD or any computers with Yamaha sound chips. :)
00face

Post by 00face »

Actually if possible can you do some file compression and optimization, it's still pretty big at its current compression. Know what algorithm you used?
cubebert

Post by cubebert »

Yeah, I noticed that the files are pretty heavy. Even YO Lite is around 200 MB, which definitely isn't size-friendly. I use 7-Zip for compression, but I'll look into revamping YO Lite to be around 30-40 MB, which means that a lot of songs are going to get cut. :?

EDIT: I've "updated" YO Lite to have less than 40 MB of size, meaning that anyone with storage issues or wants to use it on their old computers can now actually download the file. This means that the vast majority of songs were removed, and the randomized intermission music was cut; but on the bright side, it's actually "lite" and not bloated like the previous release. I've also updated the file size for the main mod (how did I miss that when I first updated it?), but otherwise, it's the same link and file.
00face

Post by 00face »

Thank you so much. So many cool things happening lately in the classic Doom arena.
cubebert

Post by cubebert »

Well, I've got some good and bad news for today's update. The bad news is that it's not the Sega CD update, and I'm still deciding how I should handle the track in those games. However, I was able to fix a longtime bug that prevented Zandronum/ZDoom from showing song information. It turns out that the LANGUAGE lump was formatted in UTF-8-BOM usable only in GZDoom, instead of the regular UTF-8 those ports can read. Now, all of the ports should be able to read the lump and display the song info correctly. Apart from that, this is only a minor update with some under-the-hood changes and bugfixes; I'll put a deadline for the next update by the end of the year, but I can't exactly promise it.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by roundtree »

cubebert wrote:I've made a small update for Yamaha Overdrive that includes a few games and some bug fixes. Unfortunately, due to how Game Music Emu works in GZDoom, the PC-98 tracks had to be converted to .ogg, which made the file size much bigger than I'd like it to be. The good news however, is that I've made a user-friendly way of adding detection of the music player, which can be easily integrated into different gameplay mods. The one built into it from Floppy Disk was a bit awkward to use for those who weren't versitile with ACS, so my method uses decorate tokens, courtesy of TerminusEst13's code for creating "silent" inventory items. I have to give major props to him for the code.

That being said, I need to give a disclaimer that the latest versions of GZDoom have an audio bug regarding Mega Drive music being played incorrectly. There are a select few tracks that produce the wrong notes or have a bad screeching noise playing throughout the song, most notably in the Comix Zone soundtrack. If you are using GZDoom, I highly recommend getting GZDoom 4.5.0, getting the zmusic.dll file from there, and putting it on your GZDoom directory. This doesn't occur with Zandronum, and I'm not sure if it happens in LZDoom, but I'd thought I'd get that out there.
I absolutely love this music pack! But it seems to run fine on a PC and but make those screeching noises on a phone. I'm using lzdoom with delta touch. I think this is zdoom problem. I'm testing this in zandronum v3.1 on my phone, and it runs perfect. But I tested on a linux pc with gzdoom and got no problems at all. Genesis has some awesome music tracks. I think the dll file on my phone is in a protected directory, and I don't have root. But if I find a workaround, I will let you know.
cubebert

Post by cubebert »

roundtree wrote:I absolutely love this music pack! But it seems to run fine on a PC and but make those screeching noises on a phone. I'm using lzdoom with delta touch. I think this is zdoom problem. I'm testing this in zandronum v3.1 on my phone, and it runs perfect. But I tested on a linux pc with gzdoom and got no problems at all. Genesis has some awesome music tracks. I think the dll file on my phone is in a protected directory, and I don't have root. But if I find a workaround, I will let you know.
Hmm, well I also have Delta Touch on my phone and although I haven't used YO on it, I do know that there are multiple versions of the available ports to choose from, such as GZDoom 3.7.2. I didn't test it out with LZDoom, but it doesn't have that zmusic.dll file that recent versions of GZDoom comes with, so it's possible that it might be on Delta Touch's end. Also, if you don't mind telling me, which version of GZDoom did you use for your Linux computer? I know that the audio bug is still up on the forums and not closed, so if you're using 4.8.0 or 4.7.2, then I might be able to update the post.

Also, since I've already typed out a paragraph, I have a bit more free time now that the development of Samsara Reincarnation has halted for a little bit, so I'll take this time to get more songs out for the next update, along with improving the system for the music randomizer.
cubebert

Re: Yamaha Overdrive (Beta) / ZDTMH Updated!

Post by cubebert »

I'm still working on selecting Sega CD music to include for the next version of Yamaha Overdrive, with songs from games like the Ecco games, Keio Flying Squadron, Sonic CD, and many other games. That said, I wanted to optimize the code for the randomizer, so while you wait for the next version of YO, you can feel free to try out the updated version of ZDoom's Top MIDI Hits that is in the bonus links. Not only has the music randomizer code been cleaned up and organized, but it's now more user-friendly and there is now an option to disable the randomizer or the music information that gets printed with a new song. I have plans on getting a mirror link for ZDTMH so that people hosting and joining Zandronum servers can easily download it using Doomseeker.

Now that I got that out of the way, feel free to download ZDTMH and do whatever you want with it! Host servers with it, make other music randomizer with its code, anything, really. All that I ask is that if you are going to use the ACS code from the mod, you give credit to me (and optionally Ijon Tichy for a couple of needed functions). Other than that, you can do pretty much anything with it. :)
cubebert

Re: Yamaha Overdrive (RC1) / ZDTMH

Post by cubebert »

It's been over a year since the last update for Yamaha Overdrive, but I wanted to push this out since I didn't want to wait any longer and it's at a good state to release. With my drafted work on the next version of Samsara Reincarnation and now The Sentinel's Lexicon, I've been busy with a lot of stuff and I do apologize for being late on the updates.

First things first, Yamaha Overdrive is now close to completion and is at a release candidate state! There's still some songs that I would want to add into the playlist, but I'm pretty content with what I've added (Let's just say that there's now over 3000 songs!). Just like with ZDMTH's last release on December, I can now give permission to anyone who wants to use the code from YO. Other than giving me credit, you can take the code from my music randomizer mods and make your own tracklist. Secondly, there is now a new version of YO for Sega CD games; due to GZDoom and Zandronum not being able to load 2GB+ files, I had to separate the songs. Right now, the CD version is standalone, but I have plans to make it modular like the Sega CD and make it loadable with the regular version of Yamaha Overdrive. The file size is very large for both files, but the YO Lite version is still supported and has been updated along with all of the randomizers. The download links have been updated in the opening posts and the CD version can be found with the bonus links.

Lastly, there is something kind of serious I wanted to mention since I'm not the most active in these forums, and the hot buzz surrounding what I want to discuss has mostly died off. With the ZDoom Forums situation that happened a couple of months ago and some notable and respected members of the community leaving, I'm likely not going to hang around in the forums anymore apart from bug reports. Without saying too much and staying respectful, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of using the forums anymore for casual discussion and sharing, and there are other options that I'm considering to put my mods elsewhere. That's not to say that I'm abandoning the forums outright or giving up on Yamaha Overdrive, because I've still got business to take care of with finishing the music randomizer. However, when I'm done with developing YO, I won't publish any future gameplay mods and instead I'll return to lurking the forums, albeit less frequently then when I used to.

Now that that's out of the way, you can download the new versions of Yamaha Overdrive and ZDoom's Top Midi Hits, and I'm still open to suggestions on new songs. Thanks for being very patient and I hope you have fun with this mod! :)
cubebert

Re: Yamaha Overdrive (RC1) / ZDTMH

Post by cubebert »

I've updated Yamaha Overdrive to RC2, and apart from the usual bugfixes, I've made changes to how the Mega-CD and non-Sega system tracks are handled. Rather than having the PC-98 tracks with the main version of YO and the Mega-CD version of YO being standalone, I decided to turn them into addons to load alongside YO. This has several benefits such as decreasing the file size of YO to about 600 MB, making it easier for me to manage between the different versions of my music randomizer, and allowing people to have a choice to only have Mega Drive and Master System songs in the randomizer. However, I haven't made significant changes to YO Lite, and because I want to take some time to get a better tracklist for it, it'll stay on RC1 without any bugfixes from RC2. The links to the music packs can be found within the bonus links.

As for the next update, it will likely be my last major update, after which I will likely make one more minor update if needed. I don't have a date yet for the next release of YO, but I would say that at the least, sometime in autumn this year would be reasonable. At this point, Yamaha Overdrive is almost complete, and I would say that the tracklist for both the regular version and the CD music pack is 90% finished, with only a few songs left to go. I also want to give thanks to Dr_Cosmobyte for recommending this mod, and to everyone else for their continued support with this mod. :D
cs89

Re: Yamaha Overdrive (RC2) / ZDTMH

Post by cs89 »

I personally like to listen Sega video game songs, with this mod I can load any Sega game music without muting GzDoom. :)
I will load it together with Project Brutality 3.0 Staging build.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”